• Post Category:Blog

crying-manThere is a vast difference between having a tonsillectomy as a child and as an adult. Firstly, the older you are, the longer it takes the body to heal. Secondly, a child’s tonsils are much smaller than an adult’s and require much less skin to be removed. The larger adult tonsils tend to cause more trauma and pain. However, doctors do not completely understand why an adult experiences more subjective pain than a child. If you are about to have a tonsillectomy or have recently had your tonsils removed, you should expect moderate to severe discomfort and pain for at least two weeks, sometimes longer.

Immediately after the tonsillectomy operation you should not feel too much pain as you will still have the anaesthetic in your system. The pain usually starts to become very uncomfortable when you wake up the following day. Your recovery experience will depend a lot on how you plan for and manage the next two weeks. You should expect to have a mild to severely sore throat in the first two weeks. The throat pain will peak around days 7-11 when the scabs from the wound begin to fall off. You should also expect to lose some weight and feel hungry as you will not be able to follow your normal diet. Loss of taste, sore tongue, bad breath and jaw pain are also commonly reported after a tonsillectomy. Some people also experience mild to severe nausea after the operation due to the anaesthetic.

Your first challenge will be eating and drinking. The most important advice that anyone can give you about recovering from a tonsillectomy is to drink water. Unfortunately drinking water is extremely painful, especially when the throat is dry .e.g. when you first wake up. However, if you do not drink water, the throat becomes even drier and it is even more painful to drink water. You should keep a bottle of water close to you and sip it as often as you can.

Eating food is also very difficult. The most common food in the first few weeks is ice chips or ice lollies as they both hydrate your throat and numb it at the same time which is very soothing. Rough foods which scrape your throat are painful, yet some doctors recommend rough food as they say it will clean the wound and speed up your recovery. I strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor about your tonsillectomy recovery and find out what foods he or she recommends. Most people in the USA are told to eat soft foods for the first week or so until after the scabs have fallen off and then slowly progress to rougher foods. Popular soft foods are pasta, baby food, jell-o, soup, scrambled egg. Do not eat very acidic or spicy foods or sauces as these will cause pain e.g. tomato based sauces or anything with chillies in it.

You will notice that you develop a heavy grey/yellow/white membrane where the tonsils were removed. This is the scab that is protecting the area where you tonsils were removed. It will slowly go away as you heal. The greatest risk you face is hemorrhaging of the wound. This occurs when the wound opens up and begins to bleed. If it is a very small amount it is usually not a big concern, however if it is more, you need to get urgent medical attention. In all cases, you should contact your doctor immediately or get to the nearest emergency hospital. You should not worry too much about the likelihood of serious hemorrhaging during your tonsillectomy recovery period as less than 4% of people will actually experience it.

Man holding tonsils

Another area to focus on is your sleeping environment. You should plan to make this area as comfortable as possible as this is where you will be spending much of your recovery time. I strongly recommend buying or borrowing a humidifier as it can significantly aid in your tonsillectomy recovery. A humidifier will increase the humidity in air that you breathe and therefore aid in keeping your throat moist. Your sleeping cycle will almost certainly be affected by the medication you take and the pain you experience.Depending on the medication you are prescribed and the schedule for taking it, you may find yourself waking up when the medication begins to wear off and the pain increases.

Most people find themselves sleeping for between four and six hours at a time. It is generally a good idea to set an alarm to take your medication if you may be sleeping as this will also give you some time to drink some water.

Medication is critical during your tonsillectomy recovery. You can expect to be prescribed both a pain killer and anti-biotic. The anti-biotic is used to prevent or control any infection arising from the wound. The pain killers are obviously prescribed to help you manage the pain. You may be prescribed an opioid based pain killer which is very effective. Talk to your doctor and ask him exactly how often you should take your medication and the maximum you can take when the pain is severe.

Remember that after the scabs fall off around days 7-11, your recovery will be rapid. Don’t forget to drink water often and follow your medication schedule. If you have not yet had your tonsillectomy and are planning for it, go out now and buy yourself some of your favourite magazines, books etc. Even although the recovery period is quite short, it feels longer than it is and the more things you have to distract yourself with the better!

3,415 Responses to “Tonsillectomy Recovery”

« Older Entries                                                                                  Newer Entries »

 Angie August 2, 2011 at 6:08 am

Thanks so much for this site, it has help me a lot in the past few days. I’m 39 and on day 6.
I received helpful tips from co-workers but this site has really been an immense help. Icing before meals and pain meds 30 minutes before meals have aided. Some ppl say mash potatoes have been good they were too thick and coated my throat (felt yucky). Broths, smoothies, popsicles and lots of sips of water have been my meals for the past 6 days. Every day as been a different type of pain for me day 2-3 I slept mostly and was constipated. Days 4 was taste of blood, which I just sipped on cold water to eliminate that. Day 5 was ear ache; I used an ice pack to eliminate the pain. Day 6 is a burning and sharp pain on the right side back of the tongue. Now it hurt to swallow (even sips of water hurt). I’m taking all meds as prescribed around the clock. Liquid Amoxicillin, liquid Lortab, and liquid Opared. On day 4 taste of blood was from bending…NO BENDING

 Tosha August 2, 2011 at 7:16 am

I am also on day 6. I hAve been having the most extreme left ear pain I have ever had. I have an ice pack on that side of my face the entire day. Pain meds don’t seem to help anything. I have a post op appointment tomorrow and I really hope they don’t make me go to work. In the first appointment the doc told me I would be off work 7 days tops. At this point there is no way I can go to work and and do 10% of my job duties. I guess we will see tomorrow.

 Dave Y August 2, 2011 at 10:26 am

you are required to have at least two weeks off. I was still in agony on the 7th day!

 Angie August 2, 2011 at 6:07 pm

good luck with your appointment I was told my heeling time was ay where from 10-14 days…. maybe 14 as of today I know I cant perform 50% of my job. Have you tired to lay in an upright position only. I can only lay with 3 pilows befind me if not my ears and thraot will feel sharp pains. The 3 pillows was suggested by my doctor. I’m still only eating liquids. I found that eating sof solids made me use to many muscles and ached more.

 ann August 2, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I had my op on tues 26th of July 2011, I stupidly turned down codeine from the hospital because they were making me too spaced out, by Saturday I was in the walk-in centre begging for codeine cos the pain was so bad, I was given co-codomal also penicillin cos my temp was up and the doc said I might have an infection, been taking the codeine (co-codomal) for four days now and the pain has subsided enough for me to be able to sleep better at night, it does help that the codeine knocks me out!! I can just about eat if I take it really steady although the pain on swallowing is still very bad, the horrible feeling at the back of my throat (like something is stuck there) is still bad but on reading this blog, I am hoping this will go soon!! All in all I think I would rather have kept on having the tonsillitis!! Or would I???

 Dave Y August 3, 2011 at 12:22 am

I think it’ll pay off on the end, I’m on day 12 now and have my energy back. Stopped taking the strong painkillers and am now taking paracetamol before meals. It’s still sore at the back of my throat and around the back corners of my tongue, but yeah it’s a pain that should only be experienced once!!
Keep sipping water, ice lollies/pops are great before and after meals. Hot water bottle on the ears for when the pain is crazy. I got discharged without antibiotics and strong painkillers as well… Totally inadequate!
Keep faith!

 ann August 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Thanks dave, day 8 and counting, all I seem to do is sleep at the moment cos the codeine is knocking me out, forgot to say in my first blog I am 40 years old, if anyone said to me, shall I have it done? I would have to say no, not at age 40. I always thought my pain threshold was quite high but after having this done, I’m not so sure, taking every day as it comes!!!

 ann August 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Forgot to mention the itchy hives I got either from the penicillin or the co-codomal. Very nasty side effect!!!

 Dave Y August 4, 2011 at 10:15 am

I’m 24 and to be honest, I think once you reach adult age it’s as bad as it can be. Depends on how big your tonsils are as well.
Day 14 now, still a bit sore at the back. I sneezed a couple of times in the last few days and that was pretty painful, besides that I’m fine.
Just keep hydrated, get some ice pops and by day 10 you should start to feel a lot better. I lost about 10lbs in a week and I have a high metabolism, but some people are reporting below to have lost 20-15lbs but as much as it hurts it is so important to eat something.

 Femia August 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Day 6 and the pain is absolutely horrible! I just want this pain to be over with! I woke up worse than ever. My throat is burning(even when I drink water) my neck and ears. I’m trying to stay positive but my doctor explained recovery as just a severe throat infection….NOT!!! Well, hopefully I’ll post something more positive in another day or so (fingers crossed)

 brittany August 3, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Ya its definitely not a bad throat infection at all.

 amber January 30, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I know ! my doctor made it seem so much easier than it is..I wouldnt of agreed to do it if i knew it was going to hurt this bad. Its unbearable & the pain pills they gave me dont seem to kill the pain. :( so annoying. friday is my check up so hopefully ill be better by then. *fingers crossed as well*

 Natalie C August 3, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I am a 40 year old woman that is on day 7 of her Tonsils, Adnoids, Deviated Septum and Uvula all fixed or removed….PLEASE PLEASE somebody shoot me!!!! I have now lost 20 pounds becuase of not eating. I have been in the hospital twice because of dehydration. The stitches in the back of my throat are now starting to fall out. I am at a loss…..any good advice out there?

 brittany August 3, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Hey Natalie. That was me. I lived on ice chips to help numb and get liquids. I also used ice packs on my throat and neck. I lost fifteen pounds. I sipped every minute even if it burned. But after my second er visit I was seriously about to admit myself til I recovered. Once ice chips numbed I would drink some more. Day even and so fourth it got better. Also I set alarms at night to wake up and take meds because its brutal when u wake. I hope this helps.

 Anne V August 4, 2011 at 12:09 am

I am 19 years old and I had a tonsilectomy and adnoidectomy two days ago. So far, everything has been going okay. I started off taking percocet in pill form, but yesterday afternoon/evening nausea hit me, and I was puking about every half an hour into the night. I called my doctor and he switched me to vicodin in liquid form and also gave me very strong nausea medication. Since last night, I have been doing much better. I strongly suggest being very careful with the pain medications that you are given. The problem with them is that they build up over time, so although the percocet was originally fine for me and relieving the pain, it can hit you later in your recovery, and throwing up is not fun after having this operation. I realize only being on day three of recovery, my worst is yet to come, but I think I’m prepared. My only complaint right now is the amount of mucus I have in the back of my throat. I feel like I can never clear my throat and whatever I eat or drink is always getting stuck back there. I’m assuming this is common, but has anyone else experienced this? I’m also having a bit of trouble finding foods that are satisfying my hunger and that seem to go down easily. So far, apple sauce is my favorite, but I feel like I need something more substantial to absorb the pain killers I’m taking. I’m thinking about trying eggs tonight since mashed potatoes didn’t work out super well earlier today. Other than that, I’m keeping up with drinking my water (and peeing about every hour), but I still haven’t had a BM since before the surgery. Should I be concerned about this? This website has been great! Thanks for all of the advice!

 brittany August 4, 2011 at 4:26 am

I did protein shakes like slim fast ensure and applesauce. I had the the thick saliva as well. As of the bm it was. Four days after that I had one. You can ask your doctor for stool softer too. Glad u can drink because I could not it burned too. So I landed in the er for dehydration and a bladder infection. Keep up amd good luck.

 Angie August 4, 2011 at 8:14 am

Ann I would drink 8oz cup of water per cube chicken and beef bouillon cubes. I cooked a large container of rice (almost to mush) and would add a tablespoon, which helped with the hunger. After each meal I always ate a frozen pop (Del Monte Fruit Chillers are good) soothed the pain. Taking the pain meds 30 mins before a meal helped with swallowing. Edy’s brand (in the frozen section) have a smoothie that you mix 1/3 milk and stir those are filing as well. And the milk didn’t cause too much mucus build up. Eggs were too harsh for me, even on day 4. Today is day 8 I feel so much better I had a burst of energy, but I over did it. I was every tired trying to gain some normalcy. Today I was able to eat some things a little more solid so finally off total liquids. YEAH! I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. My sense of taste is off. Most things have a sweet taste when I know that’s not normal.

 Tosha August 4, 2011 at 6:28 am

My appointment went good. Doc switched me to Demerol tablets and motrin for the swelling. It is great! I still get the pain when I wake up and after I eat but at least I don’t have the horrible earaches. I can eat some soft solid foods now. I was so proud of myself for eating 3 chicken mc nuggets. They really didn’t give me a time frame to go back to work so I told my boss I would be back on the 15. That’s 14 days and a weekend. Oh I made some shepards pie the other night and it went down pretty good. Just lots and lots of water.
As for the bm Water is a big thing along with the stool softener if you want to really help it along get some yellow summer squash slice it thin and boil it down with butter and water. At that point it will be mushy enough to eat and it is a natural laxative.
Well I better go cuddle with my ice packs and get some shut eye.

 Angie August 4, 2011 at 8:28 am

Congrats Tosh! my appoint isn’t until next Tuesday, exactly 14 days after surgery. I’m on day 8 now. It seems as if you and I are on the same heeling schedule. I’m still having pains when I wake up, pains after each meal and when swallowing water. I too ate soft solids today. I’m trying not to get too excited and eat something too hard. Is there a particular stool softener you recommend or did the Dr. prescribe something? I purchased a squash and zucchini today. Thinking I can cook t down to mush and eat it tomorrow surely that will help with the BM problem. My sense of taste is off. So I hope I can actually taste it if not I’ll have to eat it anyway. I usually tolerate pain well, this is like nothing ‘ve ever experienced before.

 Tosha August 4, 2011 at 7:07 pm

He just told me any type of stool softener would work. I started taking them the day I got home from the hospital. But I had prior surgeries and knew what the meds would do to me. Wow I sleep 8 hrs straight last night felt great but I am paying for it. Hope the meds kick in soon so I can eat something.

 Aytac August 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Hi All. I had my operation August 2nd, and I like to believe I’ve had a relatively rapid recovery so far. I was talking with ease yesterday, but seeing that the pain increased today, I think that was because of the anesthetics. I know I still have a long way to go, and so far I’ve already lost around 3 kgs. I have read most of the posts here, and I saw that some were having trouble with mucus. My doctor told me, every day 4 liters of mucus flow from your nose through your throat, and the best way to limit the mucus gathering is to sit relatively upright and sleep at a 45 degrees angle. Its easier said then done, I find myself lying horizontal after a while and wake up because I cant breathe.

 Tosha August 4, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Don’t fool yourself. Mine was the same way. Day 5&6 were horrible. The first 4 days I could talk just fine and eat really good. I even ate some chicken and a blueberry muffin. Then it all changed. Well good luck on yours. I am on day 8 and doing pretty good.

 Dave Y August 4, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Ohh how it changes!!

 Robin August 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Well my experience was going good…I had a complete tonsilectomy and adnoidectomy…I’m a 28 year old healthy mom. 7 days post was feeling great and was talking to my husband when all of am sudden I could feel the blood coming up…I immediately started gargling ice water while my husband rushed me to the er. The doctor admitted me and immediately had me back into surgery to recauryerize it. I thought al was well…went home the same night….next morning had an appointment with the ent first thing that morning. Saw Jim he Sid it looked good and that I should be fine. Gave me two shots of steroids and I was fine. Next morning I wake up feeling like I could not breathe.went to the er..and they did 2 ekg’s blood tests and bp and all was normal..went and saw my regular doctor who said he doesnt think I do well with anesthesia or steroid shots. Said I could have been haing an allergic reaction. Idont know. I’m scared I had a strokeor something whle I was sleeping. Doctors all say that would not have happened and I have super low blood pressure. Another doctor thinks the surgery affected my thyroid since it’s always messing up. My heart feels like ita gonna beat out ofmy chest and I feel tired. So scares!!!! This is not what I wanted. God will make me better,I know it! Ipray for allof u as well.

 brittany August 5, 2011 at 12:10 am

O didn’t have steroids shots but I did have an allergic reactions to an antibiotic and had the emergency surgery for bleeding out too. I hope it all gets better for you.

 Robin August 5, 2011 at 12:30 am

Thanks so much! Yeah this was nothing fun. My doctor said there is no way I could have went ome with great blood pressure And have a stroke! He said it’s unheardof.. He thinks I’m haing anxiety or something.. Maybe so but I am just ready for this to be done

 brittany August 5, 2011 at 3:10 am

Ya I wanted them to check me in til I healed I wasS over it. after my second trip I was so physically and mentally done. Hope you recover quickly.

 Tracie August 5, 2011 at 4:55 am

Tomorrow will be exactly one week since my tonsillectomy, UPPP, and septoplasty / SMR turbinate surgery. I was very encouraged to read that this is the worst of the time period as yesterday and this morning I woke up in horrible pain and extremely discouraged.

The ice packs to the sides of my face and neck were recommended before surgery – and definitely helped. My doctor also prescribed a lidocaine mouthwash to use every three hours, and while it doesn’t numb things very effectively (probably mostly because I can’t swish it very long) it has DEFINITELY helped take the edge off so that I could get pain meds down.

In addition to the ice packs I bought a couple of miracool bandanas. These are bandanas with a polymer that absorbs cold water and will keep it cool for up to 48 hours. So, I always have one soaking in cold water and one tied around my forehead.

The other suggestion I have is SLURPEES! They are great. They require no chewing, you can let them sit in your mouth or just swallow, the texture is good…. and for someone like me who loves colas – it allows me a little bit of that taste without the carbonation :)

After about day 3 hot showers really started to feel good and loosen the muscles in my neck / jaw. Even when you are eating popsicles, chewing a little bit at a time I’ve read helps keep those muscles loose. Once I started doing that some of the pain in my ears subsided.

Cepacol lozenges and throat spray have also been close friends. I found that I really actually enjoyed the menthol ones for the cooling sensation – I was worried at first these might hurt.

The scabs are coming off slowly and in small chunks. It’s disgusting….. and the throat is definitely raw under it. I have absolutely no appetite – popsicles, juice, and slurpees are the only things that still sound good. I did manage to convince myself today though to eat a microwave meal of fettucine alfredo – which once I got myself to start eating it actually tasted wonderful.

I’m also having a tough time, due to the sleep apnea I imagine and the problems with my nose from before, training myself to breathe through my nose again. So I am trying to really focus on this while awake. Again, thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. I feel a lot more encouraged and think I will set my alarm for every hour tonight to make sure I keep drinking enough.

 Taryn August 5, 2011 at 6:40 am

I’m 25 and I had my surgery on July 27th. Tuesday, day 7, was probably the worst day. That’s when I found this site desperately looking for help. I didn’t even get out of bed that day. I couldn’t keep anything down. Nothing wanted to stay in my stomach so I stopped taking my oxycodone and just did tylenol and just didn’t eat. Then the dr finally switched me to lortab which he said won’t make me sick (and it hasn’t luckily). The pharmacist also suggested Chloraseptic spray. Now its just a lot of spit it seems like and nights and mornings when it hurts the worst. Two days later i’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel :) The worst part would have to be the ear pain. I slept on a bag of ice every night, that was the only thing that seemed to help the pain, and sometimes chewing gum helped. Today was the first day that i’ve felt like I can swallow any food at all (well soup). It still hurts a lot but not like it did. I really just can’t wait until I can eat real food and have it taste like it should :p
For those of you in a lot of pain, I know it’s hard and it feels like its never going to quit (I got to where I never thought it would quit), just a few more days and it will all feel so much better! Plus, you don’t have tonsils ever again! That’s what’s worth going through all of this. Two weeks of pain for having the rest of my life sore throat/strep free :)

 Doris Ashworth August 5, 2011 at 8:32 pm

It’s just 6 weeks since I had my tonsills op. At 66 I knew it wouldn’t be a walk in the park, but nothing prepared me for how long it takes to recover from this operation! I still have a realy dry throat after physical exercise and my taste has not fully recovered, every thing tastes realy sweet, is this normal? and how long before it comes back to normal?

 brittany August 6, 2011 at 3:09 am

I am almost three weeks post op and I am not having trouble with my tastebuds . But on week too I couldn’t taste anything tho. I am 26 and not sure if age is a factor or not.

 Anne V August 6, 2011 at 11:18 am

I’m on day six and just wondering what day most people begin to feel better. As I my doctor and all of these posts said, the pain hit me on day four. I’m actually handling it pretty okay since it’s only brutal in the morning and any other time I wake up from sleeping. The liquid vicodin helps with the pain tremendously and the relief is almost instant. Drinking more water than I want to has also been a savior. I find that if I just constantly drink water even when I’m not thirsty, after awhile, the ear pain diminishes. I’m also really forcing myself to eat things that will give me good energy to continue healing. My biggest thing has been trying to get enough protein in my body. Eggs have been great. I also ordered some egg drop soup from my local chinese restaurant which is even better to eat than scrambled eggs when I’m in too much pain to chew. I’m really hanging in there, but it would really help if I had a better idea of when I’ll start to feel like I’m really healing. I’m hoping day eight I will start to feel normal again? Thanks for all the help!

 brittany August 6, 2011 at 7:46 pm

For me day 11

 Kendall August 7, 2011 at 12:31 am

Hi, I’m 19 years old and I’m on day 6 of recovery. I went through a few days of very intense pain, but yesterday I was feeling better than I expected. I was able to eat mac and cheese and I even had half a sandwich! However today I woke up with agonizing pain not just in my throat but in my jaw and all over the back of my head. This really concerned me along with the fact that I cannot move my tongue hardly at all and cannot open my mouth more than half an inch. I cant even open it far enough to see whats going on back there…. Is this normal?

 Paul August 7, 2011 at 12:56 am

Kendall, I’m only on day 3 of my recovery, but it sounds like you overdid it the day before. Maybe you should try eating softer things like you had been before you felt good enough to eat the mac and cheese.

 Tosha August 7, 2011 at 8:01 am

Over use of your mouth will cause it to swell. I suggest you keep an ice pack on your neck to help the swelling go down and it will help the pain as well. Talking alot in one day can do that to you too. I agree with the previous person as well. You need to take it slow. I am on day 10 and still having problems eating. Think of it this way. Your tounge is connected to your throat, you use your tounge to chew. The less chewing the less pain. Good luck on your recovery.

 Kyle August 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm

No it’s not normal. You should see your doctor.

 Amira August 8, 2011 at 6:30 am

Oopppss!!! Really it’s not normal??? I am on my 6th day I can’t move my tongue nor open my mouth.. I barely can let the spoon inside when I eat soup and still with pain!!!!
Only the first day I was able to open my mouth see what was going on inside there!!!

 Kendall August 8, 2011 at 7:16 am

Day 8 for me now and the movement is starting to return in my tongue and jaw so I dont think its anything to worry about! Its slowly and painfully returning but that’s just part of it I guess.

 Tiffany August 9, 2011 at 2:48 am

Amira after a few days it only gets worse. The pain you are feeling is totally normal unfortunately. hang in there. I didn’t fully heal until about two and a half weeks.

 Tiffany August 9, 2011 at 2:51 am

Kendall it is completely normal. I was in excruciating pain for like seven days. The first two days after surgery I was eating cheeseburgers than on day three I had extreme pain. Just when I thought I was getting better….the extreme pain came back. It is a rollercoaster let me tell you and I talked to the doctor freaking out and everything was completely normal. Don’t let people freak you out and say omg that is so not normal go see the doctor.

 Kyle August 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Im one of the 4%. My throat bleed twice and i went to the hospital for 2 days. I actually had a transfusion because there was so much blood in my stomach.

 brittany August 8, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Yup me too. I didnt need a transfusion tho. Its not so fun. l

 kyle August 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm


 Amira August 8, 2011 at 4:24 am

Hello… Pls help!!! I am on my 6th day of recovery.. The pain is less and not!!!! I try to take
My painkiller every 8 hours and sometimes a bit less, however the pain
That wakes me up during my sleep is undesirable and extremely unbearable
I feel too much pressure on my ears and my tongue hurts too so badly. Until now
I can’t open my mouth properly to see inside. My mouth is so white and so big!!!!
I ate nothing after the operation and until now I might have sipped only few sips of soup
Other than that nothing and I try to drink water or sometimes a little bit of milk.
Bedtime has become a nightmare from the ear pain what will this pain end?
Talking is bot an easy thing at all.. I don’t speak at all and that’s extremely tiring 4 me
As I am a mother of two kids and I can’t communicate with them and when I try I get stressed
And have a lot of pain..
Another thing I feel when I breath that a huge quantity of air enters my throat causing me being
So sensitive to any kind of odor.

 brittany August 8, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Make sure you don’t have thrush. It’s a white layer in your mouth. My painkillers were for every four hours not eight. Ice chips helped me with pain and swollen Ness. After day eleven it got better. And yes talking in general is not fun. My tongue was huge and had sores like cankor sores. I had a numbing solution to swish around to numb my mouth so I could get more fluids in after I landed in the er for dehydration. I hope this helps. And ice packs on my throat was a releive. Good luck. It’s a brutal process. On week four and its still sore.

 Amira August 8, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Thanks it helped a lot.. But yes I do have a white layer in my mouth and as well my mouth smells like a dead body.. All in all it is a bad experience and can’t wait to pass it.
Good luck to u too and to all..

 brittany August 9, 2011 at 2:03 am

ya I would call your doctor it sounds like thrush. Thrush is a fungus and you would need antibiotics to kill it.

 Tiffany August 9, 2011 at 2:46 am

I had mine done July 11th and the back of your throat will turn completely white. Mine did and I did not have an infection. The white is the scabs forming in the back of your throat. Mine didn’t smell or at least I didn’t think it did but I had a pretty stuffy nose too.

 chloe August 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Hi everyone!
I found this article to be very helpful. I’m on day 8 of my recovery and really was unprepared for the increase in pain starting yesterday. Things weren’t so bad in the beginning but all of the sudden I am counting down the time until I can take my next vicodin and both my ears and throat are burning when I swallow anything at all. Tea and water are the only things that don’t hurt it seems and I’m really not eating except for some soup when I can manage to get it down. I just feel like its never going to get better! It only seems to be getting worse which is so worrisome but then again you did say throat pain would peak around this time so now at least I don’t feel like there’s something horribly wrong with me. My mom just went to buy me a humidifier so we will see if that helps at all even though I live in Houston which is like the most humid place on earth. Anywaybim hopeful things will turn around soon because right now its getting pretty unbearable!

 Annie August 9, 2011 at 3:29 pm

HI everyone!
I’m on day 9 and I just wanted to take the time to give some people advice who are just starting out. Don’t be fooled by your first few days after surgery. Yes, your throat will be in a good amount of pain, but it’s nothing compared to what’s coming. One suggestion I have for that time is not to over medicate. I was put on Percocet, and although the pain I was having in the beginning was moderate discomfort, I was taking 2 pills every 4 hours. Well, I wasn’t eating enough so I got sick. As I’m sure you can imagine, it was very painful. I was switched to liquid Vicodin and was also given a nausea pill. If your are feeling effects from your painkillers that are making you uncomfortable, do not hesitate to call your doctor. I’m glad I did. Also, keep in mind that swallowing pills is kind of tricky in this state, so if you are experiencing trouble, call you doctor to see if liquid medication is an option. By days 3-6, you will most likely start to have extreme ear pain. This is the most painful part of the whole experience. The height of the discomfort will occur at night after you wake up from sleeping. I spent most of my nights waking up about every two hours from the pain. When you wake up, sit up in bed and drink, drink, drink. It hurts at first but I promise it will feel better within ten minutes of constant sipping. Make sure you are also taking your meds every 4-6 hours, or as directed. Staying on top of your meds and drinking a ton of water is key. During the day, the ear pain shouldn’t be too awful if you are constantly drinking. It’s the drying out while sleeping that causes it to hurt. By days 7-10, your scabs will start to fall off. If you look in the back of your throat, it’s covered in a grayish/white layer. Your uvula and tongue will probably be swollen too. This is all normal. As this white layer begins to fall off, it will cause a different kind of pain, usually a raw burning/stinging sensation. In my experience, my ear pain started to really diminish during this time, but everything I ate burned my throat like crazy. This experience can last for a few days, and yes, it’s pretty awful. The good news is, as soon as the scabs fall off, you feel a tons better and the rest of your recovery is rapid. If you are at this stage, you are almost done! The trickiest part about this recovery is that the pain increases with time. It’s normal, so don’t panic if you are on day 8 and still have significant pain. Everyone is different and takes a different amount of time to heel. Surround yourself with your favorite books, movies, TV shows, and even people! The more distractions the better since the hardest part is how boring the two weeks can get! Most of all, keep the faith, don’t give up! EVERYONE RECOVERS.
Just a Few More Tips:
-Take a stool softener starting the second day of recovery (meds cause things to get backed up)
-NO DAIRY. Dairy products thicken mucus, with the amount of mucus I experience, drinking milk or eating yogurt would have made it worse, and clearly your throat can cause bleeding. I’d avoid milk, yogurt, creamy cheese, and ice cream until cleared by your doctor.
-Force yourself to drink and eat. Think of food and beverages as other medicine. You force yourself to swallow your pills or liquid medicines because it makes you feel better, so do the same with drinking and eating. Yes it hurts, but it’s necessary for the healing process to eat and drink. The more you can put in your body the faster you will heal.

Thanks! I hope this was helpful!

 Brad August 14, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Thanks Annie – I thought that this was helpful. I am on day 3 and so the ear pain started this morning and you were right – it was after I had slept for a few hours. Lots more fun to look forward to I guess. :)

 Bobbilyann August 10, 2011 at 5:14 am

I had my tonsils out on the second of August. So, I’m on day 8. It still sucks. It feels never ending. It’s caused me to break down in tears more than I care to admit. I have to force myself to eat, which happens 1-2 times a day. It always ends in tears. I feel like my throat is being ripped open every time. I do know I’m losing scabs. That started for certain yesterday. I’ve had to do this almost entirely with liquid tylenol, which did nothing. The Percocet I was given made me vomit violently on the second and third day. The doctor’s office wouldn’t give me anything else. I’ve been reading this page for the last few days and it’s helped. I felt like something was wrong with me, that I wasn’t healing properly, when day five was actually the best day I had and I fell into agony once more on day six. I’m trying to force liquids down my throat regularly. I definitely can’t swallow my own saliva just yet. I’m really hoping I feel better soon. But, I’m past the point where I say to myself “Maybe I’ll feel better tomorrow” My world feels too painful to be hoping for some drastic change in recovery. I don’t know if I would have done this had I known what I was in for. But then again, I’m really hoping to feel differently once I heal.

 karin August 10, 2011 at 10:47 am

Long post, but I hope it helps someone! (31 yr. old female, surgery date Aug 3, 2011. Diagnosis: tonsil stones, severely inflamed tonsils, woke w/sore throat 1-5 dys/wk that lasted a few hrs each morning). Read everything prior to making my decision to do this being that it was inevitably my decision…at this point I know I made the right decision, but have not been physically rewarded yet. Day 1: the older you were, the father into the day your surgery. I was last :( when awoke, I was very thirsty and couldn’t get enough water. Throat was sore, but manageable. Went home and slept. Chose Percocet pills over liquid Tylenol with Codein (Codein makes me nauceos). Water and 1 popsicles. Applesauce to take crushed pills. Day 2: Nauceos from Percocet and left over anesthesia. Threw up 2 x…so thankful I had only had liquids!! Slept. Pain was moderate. Water, Sherbet,1/3 can creamy cheese soup today. Applesauce to take crushed pills. Day 3: Still nausea. Called Dr. in the am for resolution…determined it was the painkillers so I opted to keep Percocet and just top it with an anti-nausea medication. Pain was like a severe strep throat. Couldn’t read or watch tv due to nausea. Husband read to me to pass time days 1-3. Slept! Water, 1/3 can cheese soup, 1 scoop ice cream, I scoop Sherbet, I glass room temp juice. Applesauce to take crushed pills. Day4-5: weekend, but who cares! No longer nauceos, but the pain. OMG the pain! I wanted to DIE! I thought it would never end! Stopped talking to anyone other than my husband..hurt too much all of a.sudden and I had no want to talk. Doctor warned me about these 2 days being overwhelming, but oh my! Had a feeling like I had phlem behind my sinuses, but couldn’t clear it. When I laid down I thought I couldn’t breathe. Barely slept, tried hot showers, blowing my nose, coughing…it was all so hard because I couldn’t clear anything and it hurt so much to even try. Ended up clearing some dried up phlem and scab from my sinuses. Oh to feel relief like I could breathe. Mind you I never couldn’t, but the panicky feeling…oh I couldn’t shake it! It was mostly just my brain playing tricks on me. The anxiety! Room.temp water and juice, Sherbet, chicken broth. Applesauce to take crushed pills. Day 6: painful from all the irritation I caused myself…Woops! But I was so tired I slept a lot and knew that I was almost at the end…I had to be. I had gotten through the worst. Started using small glass of ice cold milk to swallow pills whole. Also water, room temp juice 10 spoonful of mashed potatoes, Sherbet. Day 7: got up all happy with a positive attitude…this day was in the books for reduced pain and scabs falling off. Very frustrating…waited, waited, waited. Throat felt better, but my tongue and cheeks and ears hurt quite a bit! I slept 5 hours straight! Oh well, midnight came and I went to brush my teeth for bed and when I gargled all this crux came out…scabs! I kept garggling until it was done. Still have a lot of white crud there still, but such a relief to have a lot less than when I got up. However, the less scabs, a little more tender pain in the throat. Still…progress! Water, room temp juice, 5 spoonfuls of mashed potatoes, Sherbet, ice cream. Cold milk to swallow whole pills. Day 8 (today): tongue not as swollen, so I am talking again, more scabs falling off….garggling a lot! Ewwwwwwwwww! Called doctor for more pain pills to make sure I have them past tomorrow if I need them. Did some dishes and paid bills…first time I have done anything resembling work. Water, Sherbet, juice, cold milk to swallow pills. More up beat and better sleep. I see a light at the end of the tunnel!
Sorry this is so long! I hope it has helped someone along through way. Don’t feel bad about not wanting to talk to people, take the time you need from work and allow family to take care of you and chores. I felt bad this whole time (even though no one complained its just who I am…independant) so looking at it now…I realize I wasn’t being fair to myself. I do smoke and started smoking on day 4 when I was anxious…it was stupid and probably slowed my healing, but I didn’t really care at the time. I smoked 4 cigarettes a day ( used to smoke a pack a day). I have lost 12 lbs…which was affordable for me but I would have rather exercised to do it. I still can’t eat more than soup or potatoes and I don’t expect that to change in the next week. I want for other tastes, but my appetite is still really low and I don’t want to actually eat. My hair started to thin out, so I will be getting some protein shakes tomorrow. The humidifier helped when I slept! Garggling was good for me. I sometimes brushed my teeth 8 times/day just to try and.feel better! Also, brush your tongue more…it helped! That’s it at this point.

 Samantha November 7, 2012 at 11:08 pm

oh my god i just got mine out today and i already want a cig…. im SO HAPPY you started on day 4 as most posts say wait 10 days or you WILL hemmorage…..i dont care about the pain i JUST want a cigarette!!!!

 Alexp August 10, 2011 at 10:54 am

I am 29 and had my tonsils out on 5th August. I quite enjoyed the hospital and was in great spirits for the first 3 days. I ate lots and drank lots of water, read books and watched tv. However on days 4 and 5 my throat became very sore, with sharp pains when I swallow! I am having trouble sleeping and eating/drinking! If someone told me about the agony I would be in maybe I would have not gone ahead with this operation! I am also bringing up slot of mucus and saliva constantly. Is that normal?

 Bobbilyann August 11, 2011 at 1:54 am

The saliva has been normal for me. Up until yesterday I was unable to swallow it. So I just kept going to a sink and spitting it out. Once the scabs came off (mostly) I found myself able to swallow my saliva again. Still definitely a lot of mucus.

 Alison August 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I had my tonsils out 3 weeks ago and still feel unwell. Initially the pain wasnt too bad as the surgeon had injected something into my tonsil bed for the pain which would last a few days, although i was in recovery quite a while as it increased my pulse to 140. The pain got worse as the week went on and i was taking the pain killers and gargling the difflam stuff i had been given. I was told to eat rough food, which i forced my self to do as i felt sick and had no appertite. It was exactly a week later in the evening i gave a little cough and cleared my throat and all this bright red blood came pooring out. It was extreemly frightening as it was an excessive amount. I was taken to casulty and admitted to the ENT ward and was in for two days. The bleeding stopped on its own im pleased to say, but i was put on a course of strong antibiotics via a canula at first and given tablets to take home. I visited my surgeon yesterday and was told there is still inflamation and could take a futher 2 weeks to feel better as all the drugs i was given have an impact on your body. My situation is different as i had a large tonsil stone removed aswell and was quite deep leading to more pain on that particular side. Since i have had my tonsils out i have heard of more people who have had bleeding after and is more common than led to believe. Hopefully i will be back to normal soon.

 keisha August 12, 2011 at 4:52 am

Hi i posted back on july 28th and i was in day 6 of recovery then.. the overall experience went well although my pain did start getting a lil worse from day 8 up til day 11 after that i was able to go on a reg diet ..i can say i am on day 21 now and i still feel like there is something in my throat im not sure if thats all normal so if it doesnt go away in 2-5 more days i will return to my ent again good luck everyone drink lots and stay with the soft foods and you guys should be ok

 Britta August 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Thank you very much for posting this article! I didn’t think about putting in a humidifyer – I guess I shall have to get mine out of storage! I do have a question, however.

Yesterday was Day 7 of my recovery. First thing in the morning, my first scab came off, and I bled only just a little. The other scab is still there, and significantly more painful that the one that fell off yesterday. I can only assume that might be because that is the side that I usually sleep on. But here’s my question: I noticed that I am starting to re-scab over the side that I lost the scab on just yesterday. Is that normal?

Also, my tongue is coated in yellow. I brush as much off with my toothbrush as I can everyday without putting myself through too much pain. Is there anything I can do that can aid in getting that extra tongue coating off?


 Kirst August 13, 2011 at 11:15 am

I had surgery this morning so I guess I’m not even on day 1. Doc said day 1 & 2 would probably be okay, and day 4&5 would be the worst. I’m a 49 year old female so I am expecting a rough go but waking myself up to get water.

Maybe I should get sleep now while I can? Actually I’m a little nervous about gagging if I lay down….!

Wish me luck.

 Brad August 14, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Kirst – best of luck with recovery. I have found that I have to lay on my side to get any “sleep” – I ended up putting a thick towel on my pillow b/c of the “drool” and it does help. Best of luck to you!

 Neveah August 13, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Hey im neveah im on day 7 im 14 and the pain is to much for me i thought by now my pain would be over but it got worse i dont know what to do with the pain my mom is like force feeding me cuz i wont eat its just to painful every night i wake up by myself crying my eyes out because my throat is dry and pain in my ears the right one especially is that normal? I just wanna be better!! What could i do about the pain other than my pain medication also, is it bad that im barely eating? I try but im not hungry a lot and drinking hot tea is very helpful but i cant stand the pain that comes with water. Is it normal that mostly the right side of my mouth hurts??

 Amira August 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Hi… I am Amira.. I am on day 12 now. Don’t worry dear. I know exactly what u r talking about as I had the same as u say… But I wanna tell u one thing… Relax cause 4 me the night of day 7 I slept well and it was 4 the first time in days.. So be happy the pain of ears is almost done just be patient 4 another 3 days and u will b much better. U will still have sore throat but nothing compared to b4. About eating relax and don’t force urself as today and only today I ate few bites, all the last 12 days I was only on water.. So that’s good that u try to eat but don’t worry all will pass. Wish u the best of luck… :)

 Neveah August 14, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Thank you so much for the help and advice my left scab came off but my right one is still tgere and it is seriously the worst pain would ice help if i put a pack of it on my neck? When will this dumb scab come off?! Well anyways thanks again!! Xoxo

 Grace August 22, 2011 at 8:44 am

I’m 17 and that’s exactly how i feel. I wake up crying and my mom has to force feed me too. This is literally the worst experience. I keep thinking that im finally at my peeking point or at the worst point and that it can only get better but then it seems to get worse. What day did you finally start feeling better? It’s Day 7 well night 6 i guess, and i woke up crying. This is the worst it’s been. When will the scabs come off?

 Jeanine August 14, 2011 at 1:18 am

I haven’t had surgery yet. Had to have a CT Scan today. Something about major blood vessels and a lot of scar tissue that they are concerned with. I’m scared… and a little worried… I’m almost 49 and have a hard time with pain medication. FUN TIMES!!

It makes me a little angry too that I’m having to do this again. I “thought” I had my tonsils removed at 4. From what 3 different doctors have told me though, the Dr. that did the original surgery only shaved off the tops. I think I should get a discount. Just kidding… only trying to add humor to a scary situation.

Thanks to all of you for all the helpful information. I’m getting me an ice pack and sending the husband to Sonic for a bag of ice chips. Surgery is supposed to be at the end of next week.

 Brad August 14, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Hello all – thank you for this forum. I am a 36 yr old guy on day 3 (I guess) I had my tonsils removed on Friday, August 12th. I must say that this has been an interesting roller coaster of events. I read on another forum to wake up every hour for the first 24 hours after surgery and drink water to keep your throat moist which I must say helped but left me wiped out at the end. I finally slept for 4 hours straight last night. I have Factor V Leiden which means that my blood is thick so i normally take a blood thinner which I had to stop a few days before the procedure and the Dr. used stitches at the back of my throat which I feel scratching my throat almost constantly. My saving grace has been lots of cold water – not ice cold just cold – and lots of Chloraseptic – it takes the edge off for a bit. My throat hurts and so does my right ear and i get dizzy when I bend over! I am taking liquid Loratab for the pain and i can definitely tell when 4 hours are up – I feel like a baby bird begging for food when its time for more Loratab. I cant talk much and there is so much saliva I cant handle it so I have gone to slowing spitting it into an old water bottle – dont force yourself by any means. I have been able to eat considerably well compared to others stories – it is not pleasant by any means but I am forcing myself to do it. I hope that everyone heals quickly from this and again appreciate the opportunity to “vent” with others who understand. :)

 Fiona August 15, 2011 at 12:32 am

I am on day 5 and it is hell!! I am so pleased to have read the comments above because I was not prepared for this much pain! I was given co-dydramol tablets to take every 4-6 hours which i did for the first 3 days. I was feeling so tired all the time, I could fall asleep anywhere! I decided on night 4 to swap medication and just take ibuprofen, DONT DO IT!!! I have reverted back to co-dydramol tablets as the pain is so intense that I would rather feel out of it!
I’ve noticed that i have alot of extra saliva which also makes my breath stink! Ear ache and tooth ache are also a massive issue. I cant eat anything cold, makes the pain 10x worse for me. I am gargling warm salt water to try and keep the area clean, but barely eating. I have found protein shakes quite useful and have been told to eat toast, which im doing as it should help the healing process.
Today day 5, i can feel scabs starting to want to flake off, so keeping my fingers crossed that this happens without any dramas. It is hard to swallow today and the excess saliva is very annoying. No strength of pain killer really wants to help, so I really hope that tomorrow will give me an easier day.
Sleeping alot during the day due to medication, restless at night. I do agree that it does seem to get worse before it gets better..i will let you know!
One other point to say is that bowel movement is poor! Took 4 days after operation to get any movement!
Good luck to anyone thinking about having the operation, I hope its worth it! But pain is BAD!

 Ryan August 15, 2011 at 2:05 am

I’m 16 years old and I am currently on day 7. This is by far the worst day because usually if I am just laying around watching tv I can’t really feel the pain but today I definately can. I was doing really good in days 5 and 6 of eating, I actually finished a full plate of quesadillas from chilis with little pain! Yet today I sat down to dinner and could barely stand sipping my water. Hopefully from tomorrow on will be a little easier! I had the Tonsilectomy because last spring I had a terrible strep-mono combo that sidelined me from baseball for 5 weeks and the doctor said it would just keep coming back over and over and that my tonsils were the main problem. Foods that I was able to eat in the first few days were mashed potatoes, ice cream and applesauce. My little sister had hers out when she was 6 and the nurse taught her how to make a slushee and he makes me those regularly. Just put 2 flavored ice pops in a cup mash them up and pour some sprite in! They’re very good and soothing! .

 Missy Hilton August 15, 2011 at 6:15 am

I’m 48 yrs old & am getting my tonsils removed in 3 days . I have had tonsilitis on & off for 3 yrs now . I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics to rid me of the infection ie: hives , swollen lips , trouble breathing & was at the hospital last night . Do you think I’ll be ready for surgery ? Is it unrealistic for me to return to work 5 days after surgery ? I am a barmaid , serve drinks & fill coolers . My doctor told me it is up to me . I find this site very helpful & wonder if I’m kidding myself on being able to return to work so fast after reading that it gets worse around day 5 .

 Penny August 20, 2011 at 7:04 pm

We all heal differently and to put a 5 day time limit on yourself, sweetie that would stress me out.. At your job your supposed to talk loud and ur not going to be able to swollow with out feeling pain. I hope the best for you. and put yourself first because your job is replaceable, you on the other hand are not.. good luck


 Esteban August 15, 2011 at 11:48 am

Hi there, I am 34 and on day 10 of my tonsilectomy. Before I got it, I read all these horror stories on the internet and was really afraid, but I it has not been too bad so far. I have been able to eat and drink, although I have stayed away from rough or acidic foods.

Yesterday, I was feeling fantastic, but I did something stupid. I was brushing my teeth at night before going to bed and accidentally hit my right wound with the head of the tooth brush. I bled a bit…not too much. I went to bed without taking any painkillers (I had not taken any since the morning because I did not have any pain). Around 4am I woke up with lots of pain on my right side. I took some painkillers and went back to bed. This morning, I have some pain again on the right side, but I am not bleeding. I cannot see any swelling or anything like that.

I am a bit concerned and wonder what should do. Any help from someone that experienced the same will be greatly appreaciated.

 Jayde August 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Hi, im on day 4 post op.
It seems as if my tongue is stuck to the scabs at the back of my throat, which makes it impossible to talk, eat and makes drinking really hard. Is this normal?

 Amira August 16, 2011 at 9:14 am

Yes yes that’s normal. It took me till day ten to start talking again with less pain and till day 12 to try to eat. So don’t worry and hope u will get well soon. :)

 Jackson August 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I recently had my tonsils and adnoids removed. I am male 17 and currently in day 5 off recovery. the few few day wer nothing, i ate french fries hours after my surgery but now i can’t get water down yet when i am on the meds i am fine. no bleeding i’m even talking more than i thought. I am choosing not to sleep because the meds will where off and i don’t want to fight the pain. when will be able to talk normal again.

 Amira August 16, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Hi.. I am on day 14… I was able to talk on day 10, but until now when I talk as if there is a bite in my throat. For me I tried to fight the pain. I used to get painkillers only twice or three times/ 24 hours. I tried to struggle a bit. Good luck.

 Lisa August 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Hi Jackson,
Hang in there mate, it does get better. Im on day 16 and just able to talk properly. I couldn’t really speak at all till day 10, them my voice started to come back around day 14 and 15. Still tender but can speak again softly. The pain will just go away really quickly. I went from pain meds every 4 hrs on day 14 to none at all on day 16. Not even to eat. Its amazing. So hang in there mate.

 Grace August 22, 2011 at 8:40 am

I am 17 years old too and can not talk at all. It’s to the point that on my first day of school in 3 days, i have to use a white board to talk. Hahahaha. It’s awful. Let me know if you’re voice has come back at all! Thanks

 Amirah August 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Hi, I’m Amirah and I had my tonsils and adenoids removed on Thursday August 11th, 2011, making it Day 6(if you include the day of the surgery). Anyway, I am 12 years old and have been experiencing unbearable ear pain since day 4. Does anyone have any tips on how to stop this? Also, some people mentioned they lost some weight after this surgery, but I was wondering about how much I would loose, because I am a little overweight and wouldnt mind loosing a few pounds :D

 Amira August 17, 2011 at 7:07 am

Hi… Sorry to tell u that the ear pain has nothing but try to drink water at night.. Wake up to drink some water. And stay away from air-conditioned rooms, this will dry ur throat and the pain will increase. Don’t worry the ear pain will stop in day 7 or 8 max. About the weight I lost 8 kilos… But it depends..
Get well soon and good luck. :)

 Jess August 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Amirah- I’ve lost 5pounds in 7days! Little overweight myself but trust me once the weights off you’ll want it back. All I want is a takaway pizza! Hehe. Good luck.

 Lisa August 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Amirah, I had very sensitive hearing in that everything sounded like it was being amplified, as well as having excruciating ear pain. I found that chewing gum helped the pain in my ears as well as kept my throat moist which was a bonus. I also used earplugs for two days to dull out any loud noise. Hope that helps.

 Amirah August 22, 2011 at 2:13 am

Thanks Im on Day 9 now and most of the ear pain is gone and I can actually eat now!! Im pretty sure Im going to gain back the 8 pounds I lost, but oh well!!! :(

 Grace August 22, 2011 at 8:38 am

Hey Amirah,
i’m 17 so i guess we’re kind of closer in age, so im honestly hoping my pain goes away by day 9 like you too. It’s awful :( Ahaha and as for the weight? i’ve lost 13 pounds in 6 days. I’ve always wanted to lose weight, but honestly as soon as i can start eating again im stuffing my face. Haha Never have i ever missed food so much.
Anyways, best of luck :)
– Grace.

 Amirah September 13, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Hey Grace,

Its been about a month sice my surgery and I’m doing fine thank goodness! I think I already gained back the weight i lost, but oh well :( Now Im going through having braces :( So are you completely healed yet? Since my surgery, i noticed my voice sounds clearer and I dont soud nasly anymore lol. I hope you have fun in your senior year!

 ann August 17, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Day 23 and for the first time since the op I finally feel….not ill, amazingly!!!! Want to say the op went well and it was easy but it wasn’t, it has taken me till today to finally feel like I am on the road to recovery!! I still have some pain when I sneeze or cough but only when they are unexpected!! Hoping this will dissappear in time too also the feeling of having too much mucus on the back of my throat is finally going!! Hoping to get back to work on Monday, thank god I’ve got understanding bosses!! Good luck to all those in the early days of this nasty op, trust me, it does get better!! xx

 Penny August 18, 2011 at 2:48 am

Hi Everyone..
My name is Penny, 27 years old and live in Brooklyn NY. Surgery Date was Today 8/17/11. I had a bunch of stuff done.. Removed my tonsills, adnoids, placed tubes in my ears and fixed a deviated septem.. I would love to share some advice for Pre-Op.. DO NOT attempt to watch any youtube videos, literally it will keep u up at night for no reason at all!!! (I watched and broke down in tears) Early this morning, after I signed all the paper work, last I remember was when I switched beds in the OR. Im normally a light sleeper so when they brought me into recovery. I woke up frantically b/c the nurse was trying to put a stupid oxygen mask on.. My breathing was fine.. I have this guaze pad under my nose, b/c I am bleeding.. Nothing too scary, spraying solution every hour and changing it as i see neccesary…My throat is scratchy, While in recovery, trying to speak was hard. I was real thirsty and they gave me 3 little apple juices; that i finsihed with in 2 hrs.. Not good b/c I threw up a lot of blood and apple juice.. (i suggest take it slower) Im SO HUNGRY haha so, im drinking Vitamin Water and Gaterade now. But I’m burping.. Not sure why b/c i normally dont burp.. it actually feels good lol. Its been around 4 hrs since ive been home and my doggy scooby won’t leave my side and my family has been helpful.. cant wait to take me meds in 20 min b/c im in pain and i want to sleep. I hope this was helpful for some that haven’t gone for surgury yet and perhaps wanting to know day by day how one’s recovery is going. I wish you all the best of luck and expect to see day 2 posted tomorow…

 Jess August 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I’m on day 8 & im finding it difficult. Feeling very low at the moment and it’s driving me insane!
I seem to keep getting shooting pains in my ears which is really painful and I’ve been prescribed higher pain relief. I’ve now been told I have nerve damage especially on my left side and to take regular medication to sooth. I’m also on antibiotics as I had a underlying infection when the tonsils were removed.
The most frustrating thing is I can’t stop spitting, I feel like I need a bib like a child. I’m constantly needing to spit every 30 seconds I’d say, and in 48hours I’ve used two toilet rolls by spitting. When I eat it’s very little. I’ve attempted alsorts, sucking sandwiches and chewing until it’s mushy, still painful. Soups, burn even when cool. My dad bought me a McDonalds happy meal, it took 2.5hours to nibble a quarter of it.
PENNY- I never used to burp either and now I am a lot. It’s baffling as I’ve got no food or fizzy drinks in me to make me gassy.
I feel I’m complaining about nothing but it’s getting me down. All I want is a pizza! It’s not much to ask for. Hehe.
The pain is still bad but I’m hoping for an improvement asap!
Any help would be great, please.

 Penny August 19, 2011 at 12:32 am

Hang in there sweetie.. Try these remedies for food. Place ice around your neck & take your meds.. About 20 min later try eating something.. It works for me and I’m on day two. I’m a thick girl too and I’m craving all kinds of foods. lol Good luck, let me know how it works for you.

 Jess August 19, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Thanks Penny, I’m slowly but surely getting there. Just wanting to be ‘normal’ again.
Hope your coping ok. I don’t regret it but my god is a pain in the ass! Hehe.

 Lisa August 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Hi Everyone..
I’m 33yrs old and on day 16. I had my Tonsils, Adenoids and Sinus done. I had no pain at all from the sinus or adenoids but wow the tonsils are another story. I was expecting a lot of pain with recovery but I can honestly say I underestimated it. It was one of the most horrific experiences I have had. The pain meds tripped me out so much I was vomiting on day 3, all I wanted to do was curl up and die. So with the approval of my Dr I stopped the heavy meds and switched to Panadine Forte only, which was much better. On day 5, 6 and 7 I had a very unusual experience as my hearing turned very sensitive. I could hear perfectly however it sounded like everything was being amplified. I could hear people whisper on the other side of the room. While this under normal circumstances would be great fun, it was unfortunately accompanied with excruciating pain. I found ear plugs helped dull out the loud noise and chewing gum helped a lot with the pain, it also kept my throat moist which was a god send.
Apart from that, ICE ICE and more ICE was the best thing I found for the pain. Absolutely avoid anything creamy like ice cream, custard and thick creamy soup as this will leave a sticky thick layer over the area which really hurts and makes you swallow on it twice as much. Also avoid fizzy drink. You wont make that mistake twice, it hurts like hell. I found a well cooked spinach lasagna was the easiest and least painful to eat…not to mention yummy, as the pasta is really soft and is easy to chew for a long time. Also great to eat were Arnotts Milk Arrowroot Biscuits dunked in tea to make them soggy. Dont drink the tea as the heat hurts. But the soggy biscuits are a god send. A meal would generally take 3 hours to eat so I felt like I was eating all the time. It hurt like hell but I was told the more you eat and swallow on the wound the less chance of infection and the quicker you heal in the long run. So for all you raw people out there, keep eating it is worth it in the long run.
As far as sleeping, I was not warned about the crap that gathers and settles in the back of your throat while you are asleep. I would wake up every 2hrs or so with a sudden feeling like I was suffocating/choking on the grossness. I found it necessary to have a box of tissues and a spit bucket next to the pillow. Then make sure you have a few sips of water before you go back to sleep. I used three pillows to prop myself up a bit while sleeping helped tremendously.
On day 14 I was still in immense pain yet now on day 16 I actually feel like myself again. The pain has decreased rapidly from an 8 to a 2-3 out of 10 in a matter of a couple of days. Amazing.
While it was an extremely horrific experience I would do it again.
I applaud the makers of this and other web pages that offer suggestions. It helped me plan my recovery well which helped. I found that good planning was essential as you can’t move for two weeks afterward.
Also, my biggest tip….Be nice to your mother. She makes things so much better.
I hope some of that helps. Good luck and hang in there. It does go away very quickly around day 14.

 Lisa August 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Also….when you get sick of all that ice and water, try an ice pack around your throat. It works wonders. I couldn’t even feel the cold of it as it was so soothing. Just don’t forget to wrap it up and take it off after a while.

 Sarah August 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I am on day 6 and I feel fine. I get pain here and there but it’s not so bad what really bugs me is when I swallow it feels like there something stuck in my throat and it’s irritating. I want to know when can I actually eat normal food at least like French fries or something I’m so tierd of eating pudding,yogurt,eggs ,etc. And also when does the scabs fall off or when will I know ?

 Jess August 19, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I’m on day 9 now and last night was my first sign of scabs falling off, I ended having to spit abit out. Other than that I’m assuming you swallow them.
Try French fries but not crunchy ones, try sucking them and chewing them to death. I’ve had McDonalds happy meals and although it takes forever to eat the fries are becoming easier to have now if I take my time and chew chew chew.

 Sarah August 20, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Jess, now I am on day 8 and I don’t see any white in my throat does that mean the scabs fell off ! And another thing everytime I swallow water or anything it gives me this sharp main on my left side and it starts shooting up to my ear so I have to always take a pain reliever for it ! Do you know exactly what it is ?

 Sarah August 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I meant pain on my left side sorry

 Jess August 20, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Seems you have similar problem to me Sarah.
The doctors told me the shooting pain is from slight merge damage, and mine too was the left hand side of my throat. I’ve moved onto stronger pain relief. It’s now starting to go slowly but the pains seem to be in my ears first thing in a morning and around 6pm in the evening.
I’m assuming the White bits are scabs but I coughed up some blacky/browny flakes too. So not too sure to be fair. At the moment ive got irritating tickles in the back of my throat like scabs flapping, it’s driving me INSANE! Hehe.
Keep swallowing coz you need to exercise the muscles (which is why pains worse in the morning once the throat is dry).
Hope this helps!

 Sarah August 21, 2011 at 1:20 am

Jess, so it’s nothing to serious right ? The doctor had me on Tylenol with codeine but the codeine would make me so sick. So i switched to liquid pain relief it works well on me but only for a few hours . Am I able to go places yet I am barely on my 8th day but I’m kinda scared to go out and get worse .

 Jess August 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I just nipped to the shops etc and took a walk through the local park and that made me feel better. Think I’m n day 11 now, driving me insane but I make sure I do something once a day to keep me occupied. But you need to keep out of groups of people and general public due to catching infection as we are more vulnerable at the minute. Hope this helps.
Good news tho Sarah, I had a chicken chow mien from the Chinese last night, was lush and went down easier than I thought. Took a while and I didn’t finish it but it’s better than nothing.
I don’t think it’s anything serious no, but if your worried get off to the doctors coz it’s better safe than sorry if your worried.

 Sara Baron August 21, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Hi my husband has his op on Thursday he also had his soft pallet removed as well. He is in loads of pain and very sleepy but the worst part is the smell it’s that bad I can’t be near him! I must admit I am not the best with smells of any type but this is very bad the whole room smells when he is in it is that normal? Thank you Sara

 Grace August 22, 2011 at 8:30 am

Hi Sara,
I’m only 17 so im not as experienced as most but i can tell you what my doctor said. When i went to the hospital the other night, i asked them a few questions and one of them had to do with the bad breath. They said bad breath is completely normal because of the dry blood in the back. But they also told me that if there is in an infection of some sort, that the mouth will start creating this painful pus and smell so bad to the point where he and perhaps you would get sick. If it’s really that nauseating i would consider getting it checked out just to make sure it’s not infected. Otherwise, bad breath is normal. Lucky us.
– Grace.

 Nate August 22, 2011 at 4:18 am

Hey all, name is Nate, 25 years old, 26 in October. I actually got my tonsils out on the 15th of this month because I had a problem with “tonsil stones”. So today (including surgery day) is day 7 for me. I have to say, the first 2 days were pretty rough as far as wanting to do anything other than sleep. The Doc told me I wouldn’t want to eat or drink anything at all, but that I should. I didn’t of course because I was too scared of throwing up (which I have yet to do to this point, yay me!) Day 3 was the first day I ate anything actually, and it was just a cup of ramen…and unfortunately for me it was spicy. However that didn’t actually do much to push me away from finishing it because the warmth and taste of it helped a lot. Days 4 to 6 and half of today have been the roughest for me. I got the scabs as everyone very well knows they’re going to have to get and go through at some point. It made it unbearable to swallow. Coupled with horrible pains on the sides and back of my tongue. It feels like if you have a papercut and you get salt or vinegar on it, it stings (tongue ulcers? I hope not. They seem to be easing up on the pain throughout today). I just didn’t want to do anything but take my hydrocodone every 3.5 hours. I’ve been able to eat some jello, pudding, a tad bit of ice cream, soup, mac and cheese. I drank a lot of tea, water, and caprisuns.

Well like I mentioned, I only went through a horrible first half of today. The pain has surprisingly subsided to the point where I keep wondering if these scabs are just gonna fall off if I keep swallowing too much…do people usually swallow the scabs on accident during a meal or drink? It’s kind of gross to think about because of the nasty taste/smell it leaves in your mouth after having been there for a couple of days. I think the only thing I’ve been having to deal with mostly today is a minor headache that I ended up taking a couple of Excedrin for. I’m really just wanting to eat a normal meal after a week of practically nothing. Heck, fast food never sounded so good to me.

Has anyone had a problem with not being able to half full motion of their mouth? I can’t quite open my mouth up all the way like I could. If I try to force it open to the point of pain I could probably only fit my thumb sideways through it. I don’t know how the procedure actually goes for a tonsillectomy but after finding out from here that they actually clamp your tongue down so it’s out of the way, I understand why my tongue is still a tad swollen and at a loss for feeling on the right side. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the surgery that has my jaw feeling this way, but I thought I would ask and get some type of confirmation.

Well I’m half way through my Con. leave (in the Air Force) so next Monday will be my first day back to work, and assuming nothing goes wrong and everything continues to heal through this whole next week I should be fine…again, assuming nothing goes wrong, lol.

I’ve read a good portion of people’s stories and problems on here. Some of you have gone through a lot of pain, some have had pain but not so much. I can only tell you that this is winding down day 7 for me and I’m starting to feel a lot better to the point where I don’t think I actually need the hydrocodone, although I’ll still take it (just not every 3.5-4 hours). This was the 2nd surgery I’ve ever had…the first being my wisdom teeth taken out (actually had 8 teeth pulled that day) and I have to say this beats getting my teeth taken out by a long shot. This hurts to no end. I feel for a lot of you people because this is actually something I can say I’ve gone through. I hated it and regretted doing it after the first 4 or 5 days. But the surgery for most of you reading this is done, and all you can do is rest, eat, be patient, distract yourself and stay as healthy as you possibly can throughout the procedure. I’ll be honest, I’m a grown man almost 26, but hell I honestly had a couple times where I had tears forming on the lids of my eyes just trying to get a swig of water down. It’s going to hurt, and at some point it will hurt a lot. I encourage all of you to stay positive, because you all know at some point it can only get better. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed what I had to say and what I shared. I look forward to the next week because I have a feeling most of my pain is behind me, and just know that most of yours will eventually be behind you as all! :)

 Grace August 22, 2011 at 8:27 am

Hi Nate,
Thanks for the positive outlook. I’ve literally been telling myself to keep holding on as i drink water. Hahaha.
But as for the jaw not opening all the way, i have that problem too. My doctor just told me it’s from all the swelling and pressure that it doesn’t wan’t to open all the way. If you do try to open it, it hurts so i wouldn’t recommend attempting. They said once all the swelling is finally down, your jaw will be just fine. It sucks though because it’s ruining my ability to speak and eat anything without it being put through a blender. Hahaha..
Glad you’re doing well.
– Grace.

 samantha August 22, 2011 at 4:58 am

this is before the sugary when u are still at home. is it good to have a really warm clothe or a towel around the part that hurts on ur neck. it is helping me but i dont no if it is bad. and what should i drink and eat. what is the less painful things to eat and drink.

 Audra August 22, 2011 at 5:04 am

I’m 26 and had my tonsils and adenoids removed on 8/15. The first two days were awful, followed by not so bad. I took my pain meds every 3-4 hours around the clock, iced my neck alot, drank fluids constantly, and ate alot of instant mashed potatoes. Warm food seemed to feel better for me than cold. The cool mist humidifier at night is an absolute must, especially if you’re compensating at night by breathing through your mouth like I have been. However, day 5 was HORRIBLE. I got this horrible white coating on my tougue that was incredibly painful. I was afraid I had gotten thrush so I called my doc. He said it was most likely build up from not swallowing very effectively/often. He told me to brush my tongue very gently with a toothbrush and then eat some McDonald’s french fries (making sure to chew them very thouroughly). Getting that stuff off my tongue was horribly painful but it felt 100% better afterwards. The french fries were good and salty and kind of helped get all the gunk out that had built up in my throat. It took me about an hour to eat them, but it was totally worth it. Today (day 6) has been much better. The white build-up hasn’t come back yet so I don’t think it was thrush but I’m going to start eating some yogurt, just in case. The pain is always the worst first thing in the morning. I’m almost out of my hydrocodone and I don’t think I’m quite ready to be without it yet. I will most likely be calling the doc in the morning for a refill. That morning pain is still just too scary!

« Older Entries                                                                                         Newer Entries »

Leave a Reply