tonsillectomy recovery (comment page 39)

  • Post Category:Blog

crying-manThere is a vast difference between having a tonsillectomy as a child and as an adult. Firstly, the older you are, the longer it takes the body to heal. Secondly, a child’s tonsils are much smaller than an adult’s and require much less skin to be removed. The larger adult tonsils tend to cause more trauma and pain. However, doctors do not completely understand why an adult experiences more subjective pain than a child. If you are about to have a tonsillectomy or have recently had your tonsils removed, you should expect moderate to severe discomfort and pain for at least two weeks, sometimes longer.

Immediately after the tonsillectomy operation you should not feel too much pain as you will still have the anaesthetic in your system. The pain usually starts to become very uncomfortable when you wake up the following day. Your recovery experience will depend a lot on how you plan for and manage the next two weeks. You should expect to have a mild to severely sore throat in the first two weeks. The throat pain will peak around days 7-11 when the scabs from the wound begin to fall off. You should also expect to lose some weight and feel hungry as you will not be able to follow your normal diet. Loss of taste, sore tongue, bad breath and jaw pain are also commonly reported after a tonsillectomy. Some people also experience mild to severe nausea after the operation due to the anaesthetic.

Your first challenge will be eating and drinking. The most important advice that anyone can give you about recovering from a tonsillectomy is to drink water. Unfortunately drinking water is extremely painful, especially when the throat is dry .e.g. when you first wake up. However, if you do not drink water, the throat becomes even drier and it is even more painful to drink water. You should keep a bottle of water close to you and sip it as often as you can.

Eating food is also very difficult. The most common food in the first few weeks is ice chips or ice lollies as they both hydrate your throat and numb it at the same time which is very soothing. Rough foods which scrape your throat are painful, yet some doctors recommend rough food as they say it will clean the wound and speed up your recovery. I strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor about your tonsillectomy recovery and find out what foods he or she recommends. Most people in the USA are told to eat soft foods for the first week or so until after the scabs have fallen off and then slowly progress to rougher foods. Popular soft foods are pasta, baby food, jell-o, soup, scrambled egg. Do not eat very acidic or spicy foods or sauces as these will cause pain e.g. tomato based sauces or anything with chillies in it.

You will notice that you develop a heavy grey/yellow/white membrane where the tonsils were removed. This is the scab that is protecting the area where you tonsils were removed. It will slowly go away as you heal. The greatest risk you face is hemorrhaging of the wound. This occurs when the wound opens up and begins to bleed. If it is a very small amount it is usually not a big concern, however if it is more, you need to get urgent medical attention. In all cases, you should contact your doctor immediately or get to the nearest emergency hospital. You should not worry too much about the likelihood of serious hemorrhaging during your tonsillectomy recovery period as less than 4% of people will actually experience it.



Another area to focus on is your sleeping environment. You should plan to make this area as comfortable as possible as this is where you will be spending much of your recovery time. I strongly recommend buying or borrowing a humidifier as it can significantly aid in your tonsillectomy recovery. A humidifier will increase the humidity in air that you breathe and therefore aid in keeping your throat moist. Your sleeping cycle will almost certainly be affected by the medication you take and the pain you experience.Depending on the medication you are prescribed and the schedule for taking it, you may find yourself waking up when the medication begins to wear off and the pain increases.

Most people find themselves sleeping for between four and six hours at a time. It is generally a good idea to set an alarm to take your medication if you may be sleeping as this will also give you some time to drink some water.

Medication is critical during your tonsillectomy recovery. You can expect to be prescribed both a pain killer and anti-biotic. The anti-biotic is used to prevent or control any infection arising from the wound. The pain killers are obviously prescribed to help you manage the pain. You may be prescribed an opioid based pain killer which is very effective. Talk to your doctor and ask him exactly how often you should take your medication and the maximum you can take when the pain is severe.

Remember that after the scabs fall off around days 7-11, your recovery will be rapid. Don’t forget to drink water often and follow your medication schedule. If you have not yet had your tonsillectomy and are planning for it, go out now and buy yourself some of your favourite magazines, books etc. Even although the recovery period is quite short, it feels longer than it is and the more things you have to distract yourself with the better!

3,415 Responses to “Tonsillectomy Recovery”


  • Danielle B:

    Hey all i had my surgery done for my tonsils getting removed on sept 4th 2014 and i am 29 soon to be 30 the first few days were ok but when it came to the 2nd and 3rd days after surgery i had to go to the emergency room due to being dehydrated and not able to swallow i do recommend that you drink as much fluids as u can and take your meds the doc gave you. then the 4th to now which is my 7th day i am doing better then i was still taking the meds like i am supossed to be and drinking as much as i can and since it being the 7th day my throat just feels really sore and feels like there are sores everywhere on my tongue but just wanted to share this with everyone

    • cristeine:

      I just recently had my tonsils removed its day 5 for me and I really just want to know is it suppose to burn when your drinking water and or juice?

      • Hannah:

        I’m on day 9 and yeah drinking burns for me too I do a stupid dance when I drink bc it hurts so bad

  • Mellanie:

    I’m 27 years old and had both my tonsils and adenoids removed due to tonsil stones. Although my primary care physician said and I quote “I’ve seen worse” (implying he didnt think I should do it), my ENT specializes in this sort of thing and he felt it would be a wise choice. I knew it had to be done when he said it could get worse as I got older. So I had my tonsils and adenoids removed 10 days ago. Day 1 was alright cause I didn’t get any nausea from the anesthesia. Not saying it wasn’t painful to swallow, but no nausea is a big help! So Days 2-5 was painful but hydrocodone helped with that. I also found using an ice pack, and crushing my meds( mixed with cranberry juice to reduce chalky taste) to be helpful. Oh and I ended up taking medication to prevent nausea because of the side effects from the hydrocodone. Being stuck in the house all day was making me feel worse so I took short walks after day 4. I was waking up every 15-30 minutes to drink water or suck on ice chips. I also took hot showers because the humidity would help ease the pain. Sleeping on a recliner was the best thing I could’ve done ; every time I would lay flat, I’d swear I was swallowing my uvula, my tongue, my teeth, you name it! I just couldn’t breathe! It wasn’t until day 5 that I could actually eat, even though I still couldn’t enjoy the food. I ate boiled eggs, jello, pudding, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese. I even tried the soft part of bread. Yes, I ate. But it was a VERY limited amount of food. There’s only so much pain a person could handle. Days 6 and 7 the pain was a little bit more tolerable and I slept more through the night despite some ear pain ( mine wasn’t as bad as some people mentioned) . Sometimes eating cold food or drinking cold fluids would sting my throat, which made me think the scabs were starting to come off but I’m not sure. Anything with sugar, acid, or salt was pretty painful so try avoiding those types of foods. Day 8 was by far the worst for me. I was still taking my medications and could hardly eat because everything stung my throat so I became extremely fatigued and nauseated. I even lost color to my face! I decided to try a humidifier that night and I think it was pretty helpful. I continued to walk after meals to help with the nausea from the medications and drank Gatorade for hydration but the nausea was BAD. I almost took myself to the hospital because of it. Later on day 9, I went a few hours without any pain So I ate an ice cream Sunday thinking my throat would handle it, but boy was I wrong. It gave me lots of sharp pains and I woke up with phlem that was almost impossible to get rid of the next day. Day 8 was actually when I starting gagging because I could feel the scabs hanging in the back of my throat. I spit up some of them with some phlem. YUCK. I thought the bad part was over but gagging because of the scabs was just it for me. If I would’ve known I would’ve been nauseous most of the time and getting gagged by scabs, I may have thought more about taking this surgery! Anyway, the ENT put me on steroids to help the swelling and I guess to make it heal faster.

    Today, I ran out of anti nausea pills so I took one of my moms reglan pills after confirming with the ENT , and it felt like a bomb was dropped in my stomach. It was another BAD IDEA. The Good news is that I made it to my appointment regardless of my stomach issues and was told by my ENT that everything was going great, and I could eat anything I want except for any sharp foods that could scratch my throat , like chips. The bad news is that he told me I have one more week to get gagged by scabs! Ughh. Good luck to everyone who is taking this surgery or is going through it. I hope it’s all worth it.

    • Mattia:

      I’m in the middle of my recovery with the same pattern you have for recovery except I’m not nausea but the ear pain is ridiculous. I can’t stand the pain in my throat while trying eat or drink. I myself day 5 of recovery since surgery was able to start eating some solid foods. I recently just had my surgery on June 26th 2015 at age 25. I thought that I could possible get back to work with not working for 10 days after surgery but I don’t think I can due to the fact my voice is very quiet and hard to understand since the day I had the surgery. I wish I could say get the best peace and quiet time possible but that’s the hard part having a 6 year old son who is constantly calling me for attention and doesn’t understand that mommy had surgery and needs to rest and you need to leave her alone. But I will see what my Dr says for a follow up appointment tomorrow morning but my best guess is I’m going to be out much longer from work than I like to. Good luck to all who are or have or is thinking of getting the surgery it’s extremely painful.

  • chuck:

    Tonsillectomy Was GREAT!

    No, seriously, it didn’t hurt more than a typical sore throat and I was up on my feet and doing stuff the day after surgery. I don’t mean to come on here to brag about how pain tolerant I am. I just wanted to let folks know that it can sometimes be relatively pain-free. If someone’s considering it as an adult, they shouldn’t be scared off by all of the horror stories – because (at least in my case) that doesn’t always happen.

    I took the tylenol with codeine the doc prescribed that first night so I could sleep.
    But I didn’t take any meds after that first night since I didn’t feel much of anything unless I was swallowing.
    And even then it didn’t feel any worse than a normal sore throat.

    So I never took any more of the prescribed meds (wasted my money, I guess).
    And I was fine and puttering around the house, bored, the day after surgery.
    The only bad part was being told to eat cold mush and not to do anything.

    I waited the full 2 weeks to go back to work in an office job but I felt like I could’ve gone back the day after surgery if I just kept ice water handy.

    I don’t know if I just got lucky or what.
    Maybe I was using way more ice water than some of these other folks – who knows?
    From the moment I woke up in post-op, I was CONSTANTLY drinking ice-filled drinks then sucking on the ice chips. I don’t think I ever had a moment where I wasn’t slurping something cold. (aside from sleeping)
    Maybe that helped?

    Maybe it’s mental.
    I never thought – going into it – that it was going to be a big deal.
    I just assumed it would hurt a little and I’d take some pain pills and it wouldn’t hurt too bad.
    So I went into it thinking if it hurt a bit – oh well, it’ll be over in a couple of weeks and I’ll forget all about it.
    I didn’t get myself all nervous and afraid.
    And it went beautifully – just annoying.
    So maybe that’s part of it, too.
    Who knows?

    Good luck.

    • Mrs Cake:

      I’m like you; I either have a high pain thresh hold, OR was expecting a lot worse, OR maybes my life was just getting increasingly miserable with severe sore throat before surgery. Either way, taking loads of fluids as soon as I come round, followed by a massive slice of vegetarian quiche. Couldn’t wait to get home…no, I didn’t operate machinery, or drive, or sign important docs, or make any life changing decisions… just got the garden hose out and watered all me spuds, tomatoes, marrows and nicking some strawberries from the beds, yum, yum. Mrs Cake

      • Bao:

        Bwah! (Laughing at Kathy’s comment below.)I had a T A when I was aournd 16. I’ll never forget how betrayed I felt when You can eat all the ice cream you want turned into You can ONLY eat ice cream because everything else will cause exquisite pain yes, even Mom’s famous 5-Star Soup, which is a stable of Christmas Eve because you had to have this done over Christmas break and now everything is ruined. But I could be remembering it wrong.

    • Christina:

      Thank You for sharing an encouraging story. I am 50 and am getting my tonsils removed. How old were you when you had surgery?

      • Terri:

        Just had mine out 1 week ago and I am fortunate as well to say it wasn’t that bad. It does feel like a bad sore throat but really haven’t we all had them?! There is ear pain but I do agree the more ice water you drink the better because it’s coating the swelling. My only issue is nausea but I think that is because I’m starving for real food and who eats like this??? Food! I miss that the most. I’m just trying to focus why I had it done and enjoy the self time. Good luck everyone. Honestly it feels like strep throat – stay strong!

  • Lyndsey Flora:

    I’m so surprised that no one mentioned sneezing. I’m on day 10 of recovery and I sneezed for the first time yesterday..worst pain EVER.

    • Elizabeth:

      I am 30 years old and mom of 2. I am on day 19 of recovery from, tonsils, adenoids, soft palett, and uvula all removed, ALSO diviated septum on both sides of noise shaved and fixed. I am still having difficulty swallowing. I can tollerate eating with discomfort. Ice water and ice chips were my friend first 10 days and actually still. Anything I attempted to eat was a fail. The only food sorce I forced myself to eat was pudding, and that was to aid in swallowing my daily medications. It was the only way to take them. Sleeping, I am still not getting much of that. My mouth continues to dry so much, i wake up every 30 minutes to 1 hour to drink water. I was advised to gargle with lidocane to numb my throat, but it made me gag and didnt do much numbing. So i gargled warm water and sometimes diluted mouth wash. I did this frequently to remove the constant amount of phlem and junk that was always building up. I could not eat much only because i was so swollen that it would get stuck ie jello. I have lost 20lb so far from this surgery. I take several cat naps daily. I have pocketed my behind on the sofa. I am being as patient as i can with the lengthy time it is taking me to heal. My ears hurt, my nose, my mouth and neck. I ice my neckdaily to reduce pain and swelling. I am just staying to talk, but i cannot pronounce certain words clearly. My husband picks on me for it. At times i have felt like giving up, often actually. The percoset given for pain did nothing. As i have an over high tolerance for medication, any. I only take it at night right now so i can handle the pain of the dry mouth syndrome. TODAY I SNEEZED for the first time and holy goodness did it hurt. Yawning is horrendoud too. How do you stop that? also i cannot blow my nose with out it hurting both my healing nose or feeling like my throat is coming out of my mouth. Im still gagging all day, or constantly feels like something is there. Also now, when i drink i have to take smaller sips and sip with my head somewhat downwards to avoid it coming out my nose. Which it has done several times. Same with eating or taking meds. I wonder when this will get better. On top of this nonsense, i cannot taste anything the same. Especially sweets which saddens me. I would not take back the decision to have this surgery. I know the benefits will soon be there. One positive, i am breathing so much better that the air hurts my nose now…haha. ooh and day 4-10 was by far the worst pain. Day 19…hopeful soon i will be pain free and talk normal again.

      • Mary:

        I was just was trying to see have you got you’re taste back because I’m on my 18 day to day and I can not taste anything

    • Jessica V:

      I am currently on day five after surgery. I am 19 years old and expected the worst. My twin sister had hers removed after her tonsil actually ruptured! Let me tell you, I have been in the worst pain of my life! I have taken the meds exactly like I was told, I was eating soft foods pretty well up until day four actually. That’s when I actually threw up, and just when I thought the pain couldn’t get worse, it sky rocketed. I now refuse to talk to anyone, and retreated back to my bedroom to sip water and sleep all day. Yes sneezing is the worst pain of it all! I also have problems spitting as the uvula is severely swollen and I have sores on both sides of my tongue. Is that common for anyone else as well? Reading all your stories have given me hope that this will get easier. Personally, however, it’s hard to believe this was the best decision!

      • Paula:

        My daughter of 12 is having same problems as you and on day five also she is very nauseous has burning and stinging in throat and severe ear pain she also feels sores on sides of tongue if I had knew it was this painful and serious surgery I wouldn’t have let get have it.

      • Audria:

        My daughter MaKayla is 17 and just had her tonsils and adenoids removed 4days ago.Shes been having trouble swallowing,headaches,fever,painful tongue nausea,and now vomiting.She barely sleeps,eats,& drinks.But she don’t want to listen to her mom.She says her stomach hurts but that’s because of lack of food with the pain medicine.Her sister had hers removed when she was 8 or 9…I don’t remember going through all this with her.Please if you have any more things to try that’s works please share….And I will do the same.Im calling her Dr.,for nausea pills in hopes that will help.I will try in post more later if I can find this forum again.Goodluck!!

    • Tori:

      I sneezed on like day three. That was the worst pain I have ever had in my life.

  • Randy:

    My story is back on page 33, but I’d like to comment here that those who had little discomfort must’ve had a less radical surgery than others here. In my case, my doctor suspected cancer (which was correct … I’m fine now after 35 days of radiation/chemo) so he did what he termed an “aggressive surgery,” and it was excruciatingly painful for several days, meds or no meds. Did the fact that it was “aggressive” make it hurt more? I don’t know, but if your experience is not much different than a sore throat, then be glad.

    • Joe:

      Hey Randy. I’m a 38 year old male and just had my tonsils removed yesterday. My ENT thought it best since he believes it may be cancer. How long after your tonsillectomy did you receive your diagnosis? Also, what type of radiation treatment did you receive? I’m a bit scared of course, but if it’s cancer then obviously the sooner I find out, the better. How long after your tonsillectomy did you begin treatment? Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me…

  • Kiera:

    Hi ya guys…

    So my tonsilectomy begins 8 days ago… For me this has been 8 days from hell, my surgery was a success(that’s the only positive thing I have), I woke up from my surgery very groggy, pain started to kick in so they gave me some of that amazing stuff morphine or in my case it almost killed me ( had a very severe allergic reaction to it) so in the end I was sedated. I managed to eat some jelly when I was a lot more with it,happy days! I got sent home with dissolvable parcetmol, ibuprofen and difflam mouthwash. Probably from day 3 the pain was just awful.. My jaw just feels weird ( like its out of place), toothache in pretty much every tooth, earache, swollen tongue( which they accidentally burnt!) and the ever so painful swallowing. I kept up with pain relief, but it wasn’t really helping me much. By day 5 I hadn’t eaten because I was in pain.. I tried to keep up with my fluids, but l found this really hard. Day 6 was a turning point, but not a great one for me, I began vomiting and any fluids I drink would come right back up. I started to notice streaks of blood that evening and this became more apparent in the morning of day 7. I had reached my limit at this point, so I carted myself to the doctors where I was told I had an infection in the back of throat and that I would need to be admitted in to hospital as soon as I could. I arrived at the hospital where I was seen by the ENT surgeons where I was diagnosed with the infection,dehydration and very low BP. I was put on Iv parcetmol, Iv fluids, IV antibiotics and codeine. Lieing allergic to Tramadol and morphine sucks!… Tho, I did start to feel a lot better in myself.. I manged to eat half a jacket potato and beans. Huge achievement for me. My jaw still feels weird and ‘not right’, like its out of place. But my consultant reassures me that this is all normal, can anyone confirm this for me??… I still have a long recovery ahead of me and i wish I never had the surgery. But it was a must as I was diagnosed with chronic tonsillitis. So.. This is my story I’m on day 9 now… Here’s to hoping it gets better..

  • millie:

    I recently had my tonsils out only three days ago, the pain is really bad and makes me feel quite sick. To top it all off i have caught a cold so cant stop coughing and sniffling. This is not good as it hurts even more to breath and definitely when i cough! Does anyone know how i can stop this? I have been eating normally but only small bits at one time. I have been drinking a variety of drinks as they dont bother me as much! I am only young and im scared about the scabs falling off as my doctor didnt say that was a good thing to be happeneing? A bit confused of the whole situation

    • Paula:

      Mollie its ok the scabs are supposed to fall off

      • Saara:

        How did all take i keep dripping in my month all towels are wet and my white top

  • Ben:

    Hello all,

    I had my tonsils removed last Friday, so this is day 5. I had them removed via laser in the uk because of recurrent tonsillitis and tonsil stones, which were both getting worse. I am 38 year old male. The surgery went well, the doc said the tonsils were in a pretty bad state and i am very pleased to see the back of them thats for sure. I went home the same night, and felt ok i think i was a bit high from the general and the morphine etc. Felt ok saturday morning and went for a walk, sat afternoon felt tired but been taking codiene and mouth gargle and anti inflammation drugs. I ate a little bit of soup too, anyway was sort of doing ok then sat night i began to feel really really ill, began with a fever of 38.6, my wife was googling it and said if it goes to 39 then go to a and e, but we have two young children and i didnt want to create a scene etc. anyway this horrible fever stayed till tuesday night when it just seemed to break, i felt so ill i didnt notice any pain i carried on with the gargle and took some codiene painkillers from time to time but not always as they made me feel totally out of it.

    so mon night, day 3 i started sweating and i mean pouring off of me. saturated the sheets and duvet and sleeping bag, never seen anything like it, i woke up tues and coughed up a lump of fresh-ish blood and felt fine, well i say fine in comparison to how i had been. then yesterday was sort of ok, was able to eat some soup and some pasta very slowly, have been going with the water etc, and stopped taking the codiene so was able to use the toilet which was such a relief as was very constipated.

    this morning day 5 i decided to do a litle work from home felt ok, but then the pain just started again everything feels sore no fever but i just feel generally wrong, my tongue is sore, lips, throat, ears, tonsils, osophogeus and when i breathe in i have this strange bronchial sort of pain, not sure if its bruising from the tubes or a chest infection i just dont know; tonsils are all grey and pussy breath has improved slightly i stank the weekend. hoping the worst is over.

    cant see the mouth pain getting worse, i just wish the chest would be ok, i do sound a little rattly too, possibly a slight infection i guess. im not sure if to call the doc for some anti biotics but no longer have an infection. maybe ought to get back to the world at war and the sweeney on the sofa and forget about work. i must admit overall i am suprised at the state of myself in general i am trying to hide it from the wife so as to not upset her, she has enough to deal with with the 2 and 5 year old, wish id have taken care of this years ago before children. that said the tonsilliats did get worse post children, prob combined stress of young children and work didnt help… will post in a few days see how you are all , wish you all better. cheers

    • Lukas:

      eat4funIf humans can conrtact it I suppose pigs ought to be able to contact “mad cow” but I don’t know of any cases of it. I think this might be a quarion for sfchin.UllaAny part of the newrvous system can harbor the prions responsible for mad cow. I suppose that the tonsil as part of the lympatic system where infections are battled is suspect too.

  • John Sturman:

    Male age 44 tonsillectomy.
    Immediately post op. I was in a lot of pain which was only just dealt with by oromorph. I was close to being admitted to the High Dependency Unit for IV morphine. I was kept in hospital overnight.
    The next day the pain had subsided and I was given ibuprofen and paracetamol to take home, prescribed by the surgeon.
    The only thing that helped the pain was some ice cream.
    The pain day 2 and 3 was 3/10, nothing worse than a normal sore throat and I was able to eat reasonably normally.
    Day 4 I woke with my throat in much more pain. I had very dense scabs in tonsil spaces, some of which sloughed off after a bit of food. Swallowing became painful.
    Day 5 the pain was now up to a 9/10 and the meds. had no effect. Not sleeping and unable to eat or drink. Swallowing sips of water was excruciating.
    Day 6 early hours the pain was 10/10 and almost unbearable. Couldn’t even think and was desperate. Went back to emergency dept. at hospital. Put on IV paracetamol drip and Diclofenac with oral liquid co-codamol. Pain then eased to bearable level in emergency room.
    Prescribed 1000mg tablets of co-codamol, 50mg Diclofenac, anaesthetic throat spray and advised to also take Tramadol when pain was bad. Also given antibiotics in case of any infection.
    Day 7-9 pain was 10/10 unless I took all the prescribed meds. which completely knocked me out, either to sleep or floating around the room. Was scared to sleep as this dried out my throat and when I woke it felt like my throat was being blow torched, until the next meds. took effect.
    Days 10-11 had the pain slowly easing off enabling me to drop my meds dosage, come off the Tramadol and co-codamol. Finally being able to eat small amounts of food, though swallowing still very painful.
    Day 12 had the pain drop to a background of 4/10 and meds. down to 2 Diclofenac a day.
    Day 13 was first day I started to feel a bit like myself. Energy levels returning and able to do some normal low level activities but still with background pain around 3/10.
    Day 14 was the first day background pain occasionally became unnoticeable, though swallowing still hurt but only at a level around 3/10.
    Day 15 was first day without and meds. Occasional background pain with swallowing at level of 2/10. Able to eat and drink normally for the first time.
    Day 16 and 17 has background pain only on waking up for around first half hour. Swallowing pain getting slightly better each day. Able to function normally.
    Overall, a much worse recovery than anticipated, with several days where even swallowing was so painfull I couldn’t eat or drink anything – getting dehydrated and an unbearable background pain, taking me back into hospital. The only answer was to get so dosed up on painkillers I was completely spaced out.
    Now on Day 17 and still recovering, with typical sore throat level pain when swallowing.
    Scabs now just thin covering of tonsil spaces. Uvula almost back to normal size.

  • Brandi:

    Hi there,
    I am 28 years old and I had my Tonsils and Adenoids reomoved 8 days ago. It has been super painful for me. I can handle pain pretty well for the most part. Not this though. The first day Surgery Day, I was nervous….but after surgery, I was okay. I was talking right away..granted it hurt like heck. I did the same day surgery and My ENT said it was up to me if I wanted to stay the night. I just wanted to go home. he Recovery process at the hospital I felt like went by exteremly fast. I remember waking up in Recovery room one…they kept trying to wake me mom said they had a little bit of trouble getting me to wake up nothing bad though. Then They moved me to Recovery room area 2 and I wasn’t there long at all. I did get popsicles there. I went home and I was awake for ever. I took half of my pain pill because I wanted to see what it would do to me at first…I never take medicine so, I have to be careful what I take. I was up most of the night. I finally took a whole one after the 6 hour time and then next day is when the pain started. It felt like it has been getting worse and not better. I am on day 8 of recovery right now. My Right side of my throat is feeling much better but my left side still feels terrible. I have been having really bad ear aches and my tonge hurts super bad. I have that white stuff in the back of my throat, but as I read it should be coming off soon. I took two weeks off of work. You are going to Def need that recovery time….and make sure if you are in College you get all your work done ahead of time. That has been my biggest stress during recovery. My Professors are great though and they both are working with me. It would of been better to have actually gotten got up before hand though. (I am an online college student) which has its perks during circumstances like this but it can still be stressful when you do not feel good. I needed to get them removed and I am glad that I did. I wish it would of been done as a child when they put tubes in my ears…the doctors would not do them then. This is a Surgery I would never ever want to endure again though. Good Luck to anyone going through this surgery and recovery now and in the future!
    God Bless and Prayers going up!

  • Onder:

    Hey all, just wanted to share my experience of tonsillectomy and the risk of bleeding. I’m 30 (male). Day one and day two were ok but day 3 to day 5 i had a very bad and strange headache. (of course sore throat was there as well)
    Day 6-8 had pain 6/10. Stopped painkillers on day 10.

    On day 14 i was feeling absolutely fine ate my dinner , brushed my teeth i yawned felt lil discomfort but i thought its due to surgery but when i went to bed i felt strange warm taste in my mouth. Went to sink and spit GOSH blood was gushing out from my right side where my tonsil used to be. It was so scary; called the emergency dep, they came after 8 minutes but before they came my bleeding was almost stopped due to the fact that i was gargling icy cold water.Had to stay at hospital for two days but thankfully didn’t need any additional surgery.

    So Guys THIS BLEEDING IS SERIOUS AND REAL, PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL, It will delay your recovery and you have restart from start line.

  • Ali:

    Hey all. I want to share that my tonsills were removed yesterday and i am 16 years old . Day 1 when wake up from anesthesia i had alot of pain in my throat , My ENT said that i should eat ice cream and drink juices but it was so hard . Today is my day 2 and i am having severe pain in my throat also i cant even open my mouth . i am eating ice cream after every 1 hour but its like someone is punching your throat . Guys , please tell me is there anyway to reduce this pain? any specific medicines for this purpose . I REALLY NEED HELP AND PLEASE IF SOMEONE KNOWS HOW TO DEAL WITH THIS PAIN PLEASE REPLY!!!!!!…… Ali

    • Cupidsl:

      I would just take some cold ice and have them in your mouth also try to take pain med that won’t make you throw up such as tylenol. Good luck and look forward to the fact that this is all temporary.

  • kayko:

    hi, i just got my tonsils removed yesterday. i am in tokyo, 39 year old female, dance and yoga instructor. day of operation was painful but after a night of sleep?i feel the swelling has gone down. will keep posted

    • kimberly:

      Awesome to hear. 38 yr. Old female and had tonsils removed 16 hours ago. Wake up on purpose every 4 hours to take liquid hydrocodiene and sip water. Not too much pain. I hear pain will come, but hoping not too much

  • Vickii:

    Hi, I’m a 58 year old lady whose ENT Doctor wanted to remove my tonsils as he suspects lymphoma. No one here has mentioned that. Had the surgery 3 days ago. About 2 hours after I woke up felt lots of pain, nausea. Also had a migraine (due to no caffeine for 24 hours) As the day progressed very hard to talk as moving my jaw and tongue hurt. Dr. prescribed liquid morphine every 4 hours. It just takes the hard edge off of the pain. I have been drinking lots of water also iced tea for the caffeine.Have had no bleeding. Haven’t felt hungry but forced myself to eat jello, ice pops, have also drank a meal replacement beverage. The info here has been helpful as my DR. really didn’t go into recovery other than some pain for up to 10 days. No talk of scabs , what they look like or that they fall off. The nurse in recovery advised me to stay away from dairy – ice cream too as this causes thick phylum. I have been sleeping quite a bit – no problem there with a humidifier.Only problem is when I wake up the inside of my mouth is all gooey so I brush my teeth very often and gargle.Well hope things to get better as the days goes by.

  • Vickii:

    Continuation from previous message: now on day 7
    As others have said jaw is sore earache and toothaches all on 1 side. Pain level varies from 4/10 up to 8/10. Today is a bad day. I cringe every time I swallow can only manage small sips of ice cold water. It feels today as bad as day 2. I understand the days 7-11 are when the scabs fall off and the throat is very sensitive. Not looking forward to that.I had a bruise on my lip after surgery – its gone now. So far no bleeding but will watch for it as the scabs come off.
    Will message again once scabs are off.

    • Cupidsl:

      I just had mine but only a so far from day one my pain level has been around 3 to 4 from scale of 10 being the worse. I’m lucky so far. The only time it bothers me is when swallowing.

  • Cupidsl:

    It’s day 4 or 5 if counting the day of the surgery. I have only taken one pain pill given to me by the nurse as soon as I woke up from anastesia. I don’t know why she gave it to me but I thought it was a normal thing to do so I took it and boy that’s when I went through hell being dizzy nauscious and throwing up blood I swallowed during surgery. After that first and night I threw away the painkiller doc recommended and haven’t taken anything since then. My throat is soar everytime I swallow but ok when not. I can tolerate pain like this since it’s not a constant pounding. What’s worse about this ordeal from the beginning to this point is reading all the negative posts from all the cry babies who complain about how horrific the experience has been or that the pain level is the worse of anything. I was having anxiety prior to the surgery because of what I read even though in my mind logically speaking I knew it was going to be a soarness and some pain I will experience but not to the degree with what some of the complainers in here were complaining about. Anyway, my assumption was correct about this surgery it’s NOT all that bad as long as you are aware there will be soarness and if you take care of yourself by not having having solid food that can scrape your throat then it will be all ok. I look forward to the scabs coming off so I can start living a normal life again soon, not that I’m not out and about doing something I enjoy such as hanging around at a coffee shop posting this comment.

  • linda:

    Im 35yrs old had tonsillectomy 22days ago everything went well no more pain no bleeding but lost my sense of taste how can I get it back

  • Kendra:

    Hello all. I had surgery on June 2, 2o15. Which means I am 9 days in. This was my first surgery ever and I must say that it has been painfuly. Immediately after surgery there was little to no pain. That’s because I was still under anesthesia. They immediately woke me up after i was settmed in my room and made me start eating ice cream and drinking ice water. I started my meds once I got home. Before I went to sleep I made sure I was drinking water. Whether it be cold or room temoerature. As the days went on, the pain gets worse. I am on day 9. I am able to eat broths, jello, pudding, mac and cheese and other things that are soft. It still hurts to swallow, so I do not eat a lot. As of today I am still healing. The white patches are slowly starting to disappear but I still have issues. When I try to eat these things, it’s like I do not have any taste really. I hope it gets better. I love food.

    • Anne:

      is her bear of almost four years. She has not slept a night wuiohtt him since his arrival when her tonsils were removed at three. We live in constant fear of losing

  • Vickii:

    Post – op 35 days : Well all things considered , the operation and recovery weren’t that bad (May 12) I stayed with a soft diet , lots of water and meal replacement drinks. The pain level picked about day 12 back to an 9 , saw the ENT Dr. and was put on antibiotics. The scabs finally started to disappear around day 26. they are now gone. Back to eating normally. Only side effect is extremely dry mouth, especially the back of my throat. It makes taking pills (for other medical condition) difficult as the pill just gets stuck.Now using bioteen for dry mouth.
    Tissue tests were normal- just inflamed. Don’t know if the surgery was actually necessary.

  • Anil:

    I am 22, its 4 days since i had surgery. Day 1 and 2 were painless. Actually was no pain beside sawallowing. Cold fluids, water, and fruit juices helps alot.
    Day 4 had been little worse for me, more difficult in swallowing food. I am having my foods crushed so that i can have solid intake. will keep posting…

    • raewr:

      I’m 24 and today is 1 week since my tonsillectomy. Day 3 and 4 were the absolute worst. Each day gets better with the exception of my morning torture of trying to get hydrated. Once the Tylenol or Advil kicks in, I’m able to get back to a little bit of my daily routine. Ahhh I am so hungry though!! I’m going to be drivin insane by my lack of food choices.

  • Kami:

    I’m 19years old and I’m on day 8 today. Day 1 and 2 were difficult at first I was told the beginning was the worst. I felt so hungry and so I was drinking water and boost (meal replacement drinks; which are nasty I think). Then days 3 &4 I attempted to eat jell-o but it kept getting stuck. I have so much mucous discharge. Not sure if it’s because I got an adenoidectomy also but it’s none stop spitting. Days 5 & 6 I actually started to sleep but I was starting to get an ear ache in both ears. I felt like the pain was excruciating. But day 7 I could hardly eat and my stomach was so empty that I threw up every single thing. Water, boost, Apple juice, nothing would stay down. I just kept getting sick. Now I have this spot in the back of my throat that feels like a stabbing sensation on top of like a burning. It’s the worst pain I’ve dealt with so far. Anything I do makes it hurt worse. I can’t even drink without feeling like I’m dying. I know I’m dehydrated due to my urine color. Today is day 8. And I know that sleep is out of the question. My stomach hurts becUse I want food but I’m afraid to eat because it gets stuck in my pockets in my throat. Also I’m afraid to drink since I know I’ll be in unbearable pain because of the one spot on my throat. I can’t imagine what the next week will bring. I’m praying it’ll be over soon. I really just want a cheeseburger lol. But I also want my voice back, to be able to swallow, the nasty taste and bad breath to go away too. Hopefully my doctor is right and my recovery is only a 2 week thing so I can go back to normal activity. Any one have advice? Or is expiriancing the same pain like me?

  • Leigh:

    Hi! I’m 17 and just had my tonsils out on June 29th, 2015. I’m not necessarily an “adult” but I certainly am not recovering at the rate of a child. When I woke up in post-op I was bawling and the nurse told me it would only make it hurt worse — she was right. They gave me a slushy to eat and it felt like heaven upon my newly tonsil-free throat. I also got my adenoids out but I’m not sure what that did at all. As for nausea, I first thew up when I got up 3 hours afterwards to change into my day clothes and go home. I then threw up again when I was home and settled in my bed, and lastly when I only ate ice cream with my Tylenol 3 because eating hurts way too much. I ate a bit on days 1 and 2, but by day 3 I gave up. I’ve ate maybe a plate of food in total the past 3 days and I’m surprisingly not feeling any hunger pains. I’m not staying hydrated the way I should and I know thats also very bad. I’m on day 5 nowand the pain is still very high but I’m doing slightly better, just waiting for the scabs to fall off so I can get this over with. I finally ate some cottage cheese and drank some powerade, and I take ibuprofen every 3-4 hours. I stopped taking Tylenol 3 due to not being able to eat, the pain is unbearable. Since I was treated at a children’s hospital and I’m a minor, they won’t prescribe me the good pain medicine that I took when I broke a bone and was treated at a regular hospital. (I’m very sad and that medicine made everything so much better). I’ve done basically nothing all of these days, I can’t even talk! I took off work for 2 weeks and I hope that’s all the time I’ll need. My breath tastes absolutely foul and that’s also a main reason I’m not eating, it’s so gross! I can hardly stand it. I’m just ready for this to be over and done with so I can go back to work and enjoy the rest of my last grade-school summer.

    Good luck to anyone, regardless of age, it’s quite a roller coaster!

  • Suzanne Courtney:

    July 2, 2015 I had my tonsils removed. I am 52. The ear pain associated with swallowing has been horrible so I did what all of us are doing, I started googling for ways to control the pain and actually found something that works! Chew peppermint gum…the pain allegedly is from muscle and nerve pain and from the tongue not moving… And from the doc taking out the enlarged tonsils,! But the gum surprisingly works! It keeps the ear pain under control because you are constantly swallowing and moving your tongue! Also set your alarm clock to keep up with the pain medication at night too. I am taking hydro codeine 15 ml every 3 hours, and one hour after I take the hydro opine I take three 200 mg of Ibuprphen then an antibiotic I only learn this lil trick today and today has been, since about 130 pm, a good day.

    As for what Ian eating, organic leeks and potatoe soup, brocalli soup, fruit smoothies, bananas soft in a blender with ice, and Kellogg’s protein chocolate shakes… And I have not been hungry because the liquids are keeping me satisfied. Good luck everyone living through this hell… Would I do it again, yes! It beats getting strep 4-5 times a year… Suz


  • OuchOuchOuch:

    Was recommended tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy (sp?) due to unusually large tonsils and adenoids (I could actually feel one of them “pop” when I turned my head)- chronic infections, tonsil stones, all that fun stuff. Should have gotten them out during childhood but didn’t, no idea why. Surgery was yesterday and was a success. That’s the only good thing so far. The information material I was given is written in the context of caring for a child post surgery. Not helpful at all! Immediately after waking up, was dizzy and couldn’t stop vomiting blood. Nasty. Went home and went to bed. Woke up feeling like my head had been torn off at the jaw and clumsily sewn back on. Took some liquid oxycodone… It didn’t have any effect other than making me vomit again. Took the medicine prescribed to me for the nausea (it’s Valium) just makes it worse. Swished lidocaine in mouth… Tastes foul and does nothing. Ice not helping. Drank some Tylenol cold medicine and it helped a little. Sonic slushy drinks are pretty awesome though. Day two now and the pain is just as bad. HOWEVER I did notice some odd things… Breathing through my nose is easier, like more air is traveling through, hearing has improved and my husband tells me that my slight speech impediment seems to be gone. How strange is that?

  • Alexis:

    I’m 18 and currently on day 6 of recovery. The first two days were easy. I thought I was going to get off easy. I was wrong! I can’t sleep through the night. My pain pills make me sick and barely work. I can’t swallow and my jaw hurts. I wake up woth coughing fits and oh boy does it hurt. I have a spray bottle to help keep the area wet (great idea) because no matter the amount of water I drink it doesn’t seem to help. I gag because its so dry. I can’t talk more than a whisper. I’m miserable.

  • maddy:

    hey! im 15 years old and i just had my tonsils removed i am now on day 6 of recovery and man is this surgery the worst pain ever! Day one after my surgery was not bad at all day two and three were terrible so much pain! That night after my surgery i came home my mom had to call an ambulance at 5:30 in the morning because i ended up coughing in the middle of the night into my hand and noticed some blood well then i ran to my kitchen and started throwing up blood everywhere and it was running out of my nose it was very bad! so i went to the hospital and they said that during my surgery the blood in my mouth ran down my throat and all ended up in my stomach so then i ended up puking it all up WORST PAIN EVER! i do not wish this surgery upon my worst enemy it is so painful and i wish i could go back and not have done it!

  • Liz:

    I had a tonsillectomy in 2013 I ate 5hrs after surgery and had no problems after that – just a minor infection, this was donewhen I was 30yrs, I did do childbirth with no pain relief mind, I was a little worried looking at all these blogs but I sailed through it and the doctor said there was a chronic infection at the site and they were large for a female of my age – really not that bad

    I am 32 now and my tonsils have regrown, they are very stubborn indeed and am due in for surgery next month for my 2ND TONSILLECTOMY! but am not worried as I have only one to remove this time, I honestly believe you need to push yourself and I had my daughter to think of not myself – thats what did it for me!

  • Sam:

    Well I’m on day 7 post op and iv been through hell. Days 1-2 was not to bad just felt sore and very drowsy. Days 3-6 iv been in agony , had aching pains in my tongue, jaw and gums and also throat. Can’t even swallow my pain killers! I ended up getting rushed to hospital due to the pain being unbareable , I had caught a slight infection! Dat 7 has not been to bad , on,y time iv been in pain is when iv took my meds or ate something. My consultant told me best way to recover was to drink plenty of cold water and eat normally, which meant hard sharp foods. I couldn’t do this it was to painful so iv stuck for pasta or rice as its really soft on the throat. My throats is completely covered in this white sheet along with my uvula and the outside of my throat is red raw. All I can say is unless u desperately need this op then don’t have it, if I could turn back time I wouldn’t of had it.

  • Morgan:

    I’m on day 3 post op and I will say that it’s worse than I expected it to be. I cringe every time I take a sip of my ice cold drink no matter what it is. I can only sleep for about two hours because if I sleep longer my throat will feel like concrete. I have been able to drink protein shakes with fruit in them and I have been able to eat some egg drop soup. But besides that nothing is really doing it for me. I had some jello and Popsicles but those are my go to things when I first wake up to get some immediate relief on my wounds. My liquid painkiller burns every time I swallow it and I’ve needed to take it more often than prescribed which isn’t good. I will say that I can already breathe much better and I’m apparently not snoring at all. Which is a new thing for me. I did try to eat some smashed sweet potato buy it felt gummy in my throat so that isn’t going to be happening again anytime soon. Talking isn’t easy but it’s doable. It’s not the worst pain I’ve ever felt but it’s for sure up there. Hopefully I’ll be feeling better soon.

    • Morgan:

      Also, make your own soup base. The sodium in the premise stuff and take out stuff is a killer. So keep your diet bland and you’ll be able to get some food down.

  • Alan duncan:

    I am post op day 11 as follows was not easy but getting their. Day 1 after op not much pain due to morphine had my op At 7 pm so stayed over nite had toast and egg for breakfast Day 2-6 really sore throat not a lot of sleep in th uk we have to eat solid food man it was hard I had porridge for breakfast ,followed by soup and bread ,then done toast with. Butter ,was really painful to eat bud as I was takieing meds did not want a sore,stomach as well so forced myself to eat and force it was ,only good thing was to keep my Caroline’s up I eat a big bar of diary milk chocolate every day ,drinking lots of water I like water thank goodness yes it is sore to swallow bud very important ,to drink sleep lucky if getting 3 hrs a day Day 7 felt a wee bit better but that was a disguise day 8 pain was worse a really bad day ear now sore as well God I wish I could sleep DAY 9 pain back to normal feel a bit better eating as before had some made and egg ,beans only 1 day with sore belly Day 10 6 hrs sleep yehaa feel good today still takieing my meds ,done 15 min on my cross trainer also tidied the house pain is managble. Felt tired later my throat is sore bud no worse than a sore throat still sore to swallow bud feel so much better DAY 11 whooo slept 11 hrs yes yes yes woke up throat sore bud not too bad tok my meds and thought eat eat so I had bacon egg roll I empire biscuit my first cup of tea in 10 days and it all went down with little pain God I hope this is comeing to an end soon another 3 days off work so should be good to go soon I will update later

  • Brit:

    Ok so I’m 29 almost 30 and had my tonsils and adenoids removed August 27. And just a side bar had septoplasty and my sinuses cleared August 6 so 3 weeks apart ) so I was just healed from that when I had my tonsils and adenoids removed. I read up on posts prior to my surgery and talked to people and all I heard was horror stories about adults doing this so I was thinking even with pain Meds it was going to b horrible. It is day 11 for me and I have to say I either have high pain tolerance or got lucky. I took my Meds the first 4 days every 4-5 hours which controlled the pain fine. I slept through the night day two without waking up to take my Meds and was just able to take them when I woke up and it helped immediately allowing me to eat breakfast. I was able to eat soft foods such as butter noddles spaghetti green beans and Mac n cheese day 3-4. Day 5 on I didn’t need pain Meds any more. Day 8 I moved onto more solid foods including hamburger and fries grilled chicken wings with no difficulty. My biggest discomfort was ear pain vs my throat hurting. I did take the first week off mainly bc I work n a nursing home and have to speak loudly and all day which was difficult so I just stayed home. I went back day 12(only bc day 11 was a holiday) without difficulty. Right now my biggest thing is just physically being weaker from not working. My scabs are still n place for the most part so I’m waiting for that to happen but from what I’ve read I’ve not had it as bad as others so I’m not as concerned. Thru the first week cold foods I ate initially didn’t feel as good. Warmer foods were better. I can easily say that this was not as bad as everyone said. I’d do it again. Maybe my sore throats were just so bad and frequent that this really wasn’t that bad. I don’t know. But I just wanted to let people know that people can make it thru without much pain I hope this helps someone.



  • Isis:

    I’m 26 and had my tonsillectomy 9/21/15, I am now 16 days post op. I have to say the last 2 weeks were probably the worst 2 weeks of my life. Immediately after surgery the pain was not too bad, I’d say it was about a 6-7. However the pain did increase over time as expected since the anesthesia and pain meds started to wear off. By the time I got home the pain was at about a 9. The fist 3 days the pain went from a 7-10, 10 of course 4 hours after taking meds they wore off. I was really uncomfortable unable to really eat anything but ice chips and a spoon or 2 of jello. I could not sleep much as even with the meds my throat hurt and if I went more than 15 without eating ice the pain would escalate as my throat began to get dry. On the 4th day all hell broke loose.. i was in so much pain! Not only was my throat killing me but the back of my tongue, my ears and my neck. Even though I was taking the meds every 4 hours the pain was coming back alot sooner.. i couldn’t keep up with the meds on top of I was starting to feel sick due to taking the meds and not having much in my stomach.On the 6th day I began to feel better throughout the day.. so I was happy I even started spacing out the meds to 8 hrs, but then night time hit and I started feeling achy and everything was back to day 4.. horrible pain.. i even cried that night. On my 7th day I felt ok for a little while then it was back to horrible pain. I had been able to take sis of ensure to help my stomach with the meds but the pain got so bad I could bare even have a spoon of jello. That night I started feeling worse not only was my throat at a 10 or above but i had body aches and I was having severe abdominal pain and the meds were not helping at all. I went all night without much sleep and feeling miserable. The next day (8th day) I was feeling so bad by 11 am my father took me to the ER, I could barely walk, I feel so weak, in so much pain and just plain miserable. It turns out eve though I was constantly eating ice and sipping water here and there I was starting to get dehydrated, my lips were chapped I was pale had the chills and body aches and having chest pain along with severe abdominal pain in the right upper quadrant (under the rib) it was all due to taking meds while pretty much on an empty stomach. Anyway they ran alot of test everything came back fine i was just somewhat dehydrated got 2 iv bags, pain meds and ENT sent me home at night just told me unfortunately i was going to be in pain and all i could do was trying to endure it and even if it hurt try to drink as much water a possible aND to lay off the ice chips and they actually made the dryness worse. So that night when i got home… of course my right tonsil started bleeding so i was freaking out, but did not want to wake up my family or go back to the ER. So i decided to se my alarm for every 5 minutes to drink water even if it hurt like hell. All night i got up to drink water si the bleeding stopped. Needless to say i did not get any sleep at all but in the bright side i started feeling a little better and although i was super tired and still in pain i felt better than all the other days. So the rest if day 9 went about the same, the pain remained at a 7 so it was more tolerable… i started taking acetaminophen so i did not have to take the percocet so often and by day 10th my pain started to decrease and my stomach was feeling better. After say 10th i started progressively getting better and kept drinking alot of water i spaced out the water intake to 30min the to 1 hr etc.. and slowly going back to eating. Even now on my 16th day i still have pain but it is more like a sore throat. I still keep water next to me at all times even though out the night. Keeping your self hydrated is the key.. it took forever for me to accept ice chips weren’t the answer and it hurt to drink water but it was worth it. The white coating is almost gone and my uvula is almost back to normal. My best advice to anyone thinking about getting this surgery is do not underestimate what the doctor tells you. When they say is a very painful surgery… it is absolutely 100% true. Make sure you really think about it before going through with it and make sure you have exhausted all your options. Also make sure you are able to take at least 2 weeks off if you have school or wor as talking and eating and just doing regular every day things will be a challenge. Make Sure you have support at home and someine that is able to drive as you should not drive while taking pain medications. And last but not least drink lots of water.. even if it hurts the more water you drink the faster your body will heal and the scabs (white coat) while begin to fall off.. if you stay hydrated enough they won’t fall off in big chunks but in small pieces where you will barely notice. Also use the sucralfate.. it will help with the pain ..not so much at the be but more towarde a week in to it..and when yoh gargle it you will see some of the white coating come off along with it.
    Well I hope this helps anyone who is looking into getting the surgery have a more realistic view of the healing time and process and to kind of prepare for it.

  • WASB:

    its been 6 months since i had tonsillectomy undergone…From past two days
    i am feeling pain in the throat and neck while swallowing food?what should i do now???

  • Krissy:

    I’m 46, I had a T&A in the early 70’s when i was about 4-5 yrs old. Apparently the method of the time was not successful and mine either grew back, were not completely taken out or most likely some combination of both. I had my 2nd T&A last Wed on 10/14/15 after 4 decades of continues ENT problems. I’m on day 4. This is painful like I imagined but honestly just as bad as some my worst sore throats I have had over the years. The 1st day was OK with the pain killers still in from the hospital however once they wore off i started with the oxy pills which I discontinued overnight due to the nausea and was given the codeine with tylenol. By day 3 I also discontinued this due to nausea and started to just take plain tylenol. The paid was unbearable, so even though I was told to avoid advil I added that as well. The tylenol and advil combo just like doctors recommend for fevers for kids has worked well for me. The bleeding risk from what I researched from advil seems to be very slim. I agree with the advice about keeping a log of times for medication because any time I was late in taking I really regretted that, the throbbing pain is horrible. I have been sleeping very little and when I do its only on a steep incline. Once pain has been under control I have been able to eat most soft things. medium to warm salty soup actually feels OK for me. Farina and soft scrambled eggs are OK to. Medium temperature tea is OK. Good Luck to everyone that is undergoing this.

  • stephen:

    Hey stephen here 24 I’m in day 8 of having my tonsils out I’m on a roller coaster almsot feel better then not biggest problem is ears they are killing me sipping water reduces me to tears sometimes. Not bleeding except when I threw uo on day 4 but not new blood was older j think didn’t ruin the scab have lost over 10 pounds and can not wait to eat again almost thru my medication

  • Natalia:

    Hey everyone, I had my tonsills cut out on 23,10,15, in the hospital I was told I dont need to do this if I dont want too but back then i.thought to my self I should because I was allways every month sick of tonsillitis so many times ..but now if I could trun back the time id it and just keep warm when I go outside im on my 5th day and I hate it im hungry and.tierd …hope youse will be okay i.hope ill get better soon too

  • Caryder:

    I had my tonsils removed on Nov 2. Day 6-7 has been the worst for me. I regret getti g this down at all. I stay choked on the scabs i cant sleep and i cant eat im in so much pain. I go to the doctor on the 10 of Nov. Im tired of crying cause of the pain. No one in my home understands how bad i feel. Im scared to sleepcause i dont wanna choke to death in my sleep. I wake up gasping for air. I hate i ever had this done. I would have kept dealing with the ear infections over this.

    • aimee:

      Day 3 .for me..I’m debating whether or not i should take the steroid i was given.

      • Stacy:

        you really should. It will help for future days of swelling around day 5-7

  • Stacy:

    I have my tonsils removed on 4 days ago, and I am already losing the scabs. The gagging on them is really making me sick. Nothing, not even the tetracaine lollipops help with the pain. I have been only eating pudding, jello, applesauce, soups and mainly eating ice chips. I eat a whole cup of ice before I even eat in the morning, and my husband says I am snoring so loud, that he can’t sleep. I am 37 and had to get them removed due to stones that were weighing them down and making me feel like I constantly had something stuck in my throat.

    The pain is bearable, as I have had multiple knee surgeries and a gallbladder removed, plus foot surgery 7 months ago. Nothing is like the pain from foot surgery. My only recommendation I would leave for anyone having to have this done is “NO MILK PRODUCTS”. The phylum is impossible to get out with out gagging. And if you are given a steroid pack, Start it the day after surgery. Huge help for me with the swelling

  • sharz:

    Hi, im on the 5th day of my surgery..i just woke up and i can’t swallow, today seems to be so painful 🙁 .. yesterday which was my 4th day was so much better.. i ate some solid food and raised my voice somehow.. im going to university today and to work after 2 days (my doctor said yes 😮 ) i lost about 3-4 kgs since i barely drank the first 3 days.. i have my bday after 10 days i just want to be fine! My advice to all who are thinking of doing this surgery, DON’T DO IT IF IT’S NOT OBLIGATORY!!!! it’s so fuckung painful !!!!

    • sharz:

      I have a question also.. when i drink water or very liquidish things , they come out of my nose .. whats going there?!?!

      • Kanra:

        You’re throat or something else is probably rejecting it, or you are choking without knowing, and so for the body to help you, it has to push the fluids up. It’s first place that it hits is the hole at the back of your throat that connects to yur nose. That’s probably why you have liquids going through your nose.

      • Marcie:

        My friend had trouble swallowing and liquids out of her nose too. I am taking pain Meds and with them either the Tylenol or ibuprofen alternating and found that helps with swelling a lot. Also ice pack out outside of throat and lots of fluids to keep throat moist and keep from swelling.

  • Marcie:

    Procedure went fine. Woke up from anestia fine and pulled oxygine mask off ace. Nurse yelled at me and said I need to sleep said was not tired and advised they piss of fans go get my husband. Walked in pharmacy to get media no problem. I am on day 2 of recovery, swallowing is painful but no worse than when I had strep throat.

    Was prescribed pain killers, does not remove all pain but dulls it down to tolerable level. Was also prescribed nausea medicine but I have not needed this yet.

    Taking pain pills max dose 2 pills every 4 hrs, also taking at same time either Tylenol or ibuprofen alternating, helps with swelling a lot.

    Scabs are already forming thinking about them wants to make me gag but trying not to think about it. Ice chips from hospital actually irritated throat but ice chips at home and ice cubes have been helpful. Actually does not hurt much where tonsils once were back of throat hurts more so from where they had tube during procedure.

    Ice pack on exteritior of throat also helpful.

    Tips: ice exterior of throat
    Milkshakes with straw are great
    Other drinks add ice to have nice and cold
    Avoid acidity drinks like o.j. But I found grape juice in small amounts was okay
    Hot liquid actually hurts but warm is fine, Lipton noodle soup is mostly broth and some noodles these and milk shakes very helpful for me and feel like have plenty of energy with these
    Pain Meds make pretty drowsy
    Sleeping is Good but sleeping too long with dry out throat you want to keep it moist, set alarm so you do not miss medicine dose you want to keep these constant so your pain levels stay tolerable
    Keep talking at minimum
    Pen paper or dry erase board is helpful
    Do not try to cough or clear your throat if you can help it
    Too much dairy can cause phlegm so even though milkshakes feel good on throat make sure you are having other fluids in between.

    I have 2 small children at home under 4 so that has been challenging, try to explain to them at capacity they can understand that you do not feel well, cannot take a lot etc

    If you can have someone come and stay with you especially if you have kids do it, even if just to give you a rest from your kids my husband was with me surgery day and evening. . My husband left for work at 6:30 am, my kids woke me up shortly after. My mom arrived at 10 am and stayed till 2:30. Hub home again at 4. found really did not need mom even with 2 little ones. Aside the oldest being upset I was not talking to him much went fine, but was nice to have the company during the day.

Leave a Reply