• Post Category:Blog

crying-manThere is a vast difference between having a tonsillectomy as a child and as an adult. Firstly, the older you are, the longer it takes the body to heal. Secondly, a child’s tonsils are much smaller than an adult’s and require much less skin to be removed. The larger adult tonsils tend to cause more trauma and pain. However, doctors do not completely understand why an adult experiences more subjective pain than a child. If you are about to have a tonsillectomy or have recently had your tonsils removed, you should expect moderate to severe discomfort and pain for at least two weeks, sometimes longer.

Immediately after the tonsillectomy operation you should not feel too much pain as you will still have the anaesthetic in your system. The pain usually starts to become very uncomfortable when you wake up the following day. Your recovery experience will depend a lot on how you plan for and manage the next two weeks. You should expect to have a mild to severely sore throat in the first two weeks. The throat pain will peak around days 7-11 when the scabs from the wound begin to fall off. You should also expect to lose some weight and feel hungry as you will not be able to follow your normal diet. Loss of taste, sore tongue, bad breath and jaw pain are also commonly reported after a tonsillectomy. Some people also experience mild to severe nausea after the operation due to the anaesthetic.

Your first challenge will be eating and drinking. The most important advice that anyone can give you about recovering from a tonsillectomy is to drink water. Unfortunately drinking water is extremely painful, especially when the throat is dry .e.g. when you first wake up. However, if you do not drink water, the throat becomes even drier and it is even more painful to drink water. You should keep a bottle of water close to you and sip it as often as you can.

Eating food is also very difficult. The most common food in the first few weeks is ice chips or ice lollies as they both hydrate your throat and numb it at the same time which is very soothing. Rough foods which scrape your throat are painful, yet some doctors recommend rough food as they say it will clean the wound and speed up your recovery. I strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor about your tonsillectomy recovery and find out what foods he or she recommends. Most people in the USA are told to eat soft foods for the first week or so until after the scabs have fallen off and then slowly progress to rougher foods. Popular soft foods are pasta, baby food, jell-o, soup, scrambled egg. Do not eat very acidic or spicy foods or sauces as these will cause pain e.g. tomato based sauces or anything with chillies in it.

You will notice that you develop a heavy grey/yellow/white membrane where the tonsils were removed. This is the scab that is protecting the area where you tonsils were removed. It will slowly go away as you heal. The greatest risk you face is hemorrhaging of the wound. This occurs when the wound opens up and begins to bleed. If it is a very small amount it is usually not a big concern, however if it is more, you need to get urgent medical attention. In all cases, you should contact your doctor immediately or get to the nearest emergency hospital. You should not worry too much about the likelihood of serious hemorrhaging during your tonsillectomy recovery period as less than 4% of people will actually experience it.



Another area to focus on is your sleeping environment. You should plan to make this area as comfortable as possible as this is where you will be spending much of your recovery time. I strongly recommend buying or borrowing a humidifier as it can significantly aid in your tonsillectomy recovery. A humidifier will increase the humidity in air that you breathe and therefore aid in keeping your throat moist. Your sleeping cycle will almost certainly be affected by the medication you take and the pain you experience.Depending on the medication you are prescribed and the schedule for taking it, you may find yourself waking up when the medication begins to wear off and the pain increases.

Most people find themselves sleeping for between four and six hours at a time. It is generally a good idea to set an alarm to take your medication if you may be sleeping as this will also give you some time to drink some water.

Medication is critical during your tonsillectomy recovery. You can expect to be prescribed both a pain killer and anti-biotic. The anti-biotic is used to prevent or control any infection arising from the wound. The pain killers are obviously prescribed to help you manage the pain. You may be prescribed an opioid based pain killer which is very effective. Talk to your doctor and ask him exactly how often you should take your medication and the maximum you can take when the pain is severe.

Remember that after the scabs fall off around days 7-11, your recovery will be rapid. Don’t forget to drink water often and follow your medication schedule. If you have not yet had your tonsillectomy and are planning for it, go out now and buy yourself some of your favourite magazines, books etc. Even although the recovery period is quite short, it feels longer than it is and the more things you have to distract yourself with the better!


« OLDER ENTRIES                                                                NEWER ENTRIES »

 Joanna August 7, 2012 at 12:43 am

Hello! My surgery was late this morning and I’m feeling positively wonderful at 7 tonight. The whole experience has been good so far. When I woke up, the first thing I noticed was that I could breathe better than I had ever been able to breathe. I’ve only slept an hour today after coming home, and on minimum pain meds and some advil I’m feeling perfectly awake and maybe a little overly happy. I hope I continue on with such good results!

 taj August 12, 2012 at 5:36 am

i just had mines removed on Thursday, the 9th. After i woke up, it was hard to open my eyes, it was blurred. the nurse had to wipe my eyes. i ate two popcicles a spriteand some water. my throat feltnumb, and i could barely swallow, but it was so uncomfortable in the hospital, i was ready to leave. I didn’t get ANY rest the first night. I kept rolling around the bed. The right side of my throat was worse than the left and i had to crush my medicine to swallow. Friday, i felt a litle better. You have to take your medicine on time to feel better throughout the day. i’ve been eatin cream of EVERYTHING!! pudding, yogurt. Things lik that i believe is good afteer the first day becaus it keeps your throat moist and the scabs soft. I feel like its better that way.jello didn’t feel that well, but to each is own. it’s now sat. night and i’m ok as far as pain goes. had to get liquid lortab instead. it burns when you swallow tho. and the steriods works great too as it keeps the sweeling down in your throat and that plays a major part to me. Can’t wait till this goes away so i can go back to eating chicken and burgers. lol! all i can say is keep your throat moist, drink plenty of fluids and take your medicine on time!!! stay away from hard foods, chips, coookies, etc. should be ok. medicine making me sleepy tho.

Gotta Go!!

 SoccerMom August 7, 2012 at 3:48 am

I am getting me tonsilectomy on Wednesday and I am so ready…in the last 4 weeks I have had a serious bout with Strep Throat and then Scarlett Fever right after that. I thought I woke up this morning and felt like I was getting strep again…I feel like I have a lot of congestion in my throat and struggling to breath I need to hurry and make it to Wednesday. Low grade fever for most of today as well. I pray my surgery is not cancelled I have been sick WAAYYYY too much!
The pain that I am more than likely going to go through in recovery will be more than worth it!!!!

 Tahlia August 7, 2012 at 9:57 am

I am on day 6 I am 13 and I was wondering if anyone els is getting food stuck where the tonsils use to be and if so how can i stop it?

 Melissa August 10, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I am on day 5 counting surgery day because it was early morning… I am so terrified of the scabs coming off yikes!!!!!
Day of surgery i was released from the hospital about 20 min after being in recovery. The worst pain i felt was my tongue. I went home took my medication. I could not sleep at all. I had a slight cough i guess due tonthe tube being in my throat.

Day 2- lot of sleeping lot of pain swallowing and my tongue hurt so bad!

Day 3- same as yesterday i actually called the advice nurse because I could not swallow. I kpt choking on my medicine and would start coughing.

Day 4- not too bad the tongue pain actually subsided a bit, and i can swallow a little bit better now.

Day 5- same as yesterday i actually slept all night last night. 1 of the biggest complaints I have is that my pain medication actually wears off about 1.5 hrs after i take it. I am terrified about the scabs falling off when does that start . i am so scared of bleeding to death!

Another side note i do not reccommend ice cream or dairy products they cause alot of phlegm and coughing which is very uncomfortable.

 Derek August 12, 2012 at 6:07 am

Derek August 4, 2012 at 6:45 am
This is my first time posting on here. Sorry for the delay, but I just haven’t felt like getting on here and explaining myself yet, due to the pain. I’m on day 4 now. Day 1 was relatively easy. The first time that I have been put to sleep is the other day. That’s a violating feeling in a way, when I think about it. I’m just laying there unconscious with people operating on me and it’s all in there hands and God of course. Anyhow, as soon as I woke up from the surgery, which was just about an hour after they put me to sleep, it was if I hadn’t lost a single minute of time. I immediately started talking and smiling. I believe I asked the nurse a couple of questions about 5 times a piece. lol Going home was easy, they let me go after I woke up about an hour later. The rest of the day wasn’t that bad on pain, this is because of the anasthesia. The worst thing for me at this point was having this never ending feeling of a huge spit wad in the back of my throat. As each day goes by, that sensation will fadedly wear off. It’s time to go to bed and I can’t. My whole inner mouth is so swollen, that if I try to sleep, then everything relaxes and cuts off my airway. Not a good thing when I’m on pain meds also. This will make you feel like a zombie for the first three days. I tried sleeping straight up in a chair, doesn’t matter how I tried to sleep, you have to constantly keep the inside of your mouth from totally relaxing, so no sleep for sure the first night. Day 2 is a little worse, the anasthesia is wore off and the pain begins to settle in. I am still restless, wanting to go to sleep, but can’t due to the swollen throat still. You can eat anything if you have a blender or juicer. Just be creative, foods will taste different though. This is true if you are sick or not, it’s just different, so says my fiance. I keep drinking water no matter how bad the pain is, even waking up during the night several times to get a few sips. I keep eating as much as possible too. The doc told me to eat, eat, eat protein, so that’s what I’m trying to do. Protein helps the body heal faster. I got about an hour sleep this second night. Day 3 is even worse on the pain. My body tells me now when to take the pain meds. Before, I had to look at the clock, but now I can feel it. I’m prescribed liquid hydrocodone at 1 tablespoon every 4 hours. This works pretty well for three hours, then the pain starts coming back. Ear pain really sucks at this point. The ears started to hurt badly on the third day and haven’t stopped yet. I’ve found out now that taking the pain meds a little time before eating makes things much easier. Believe me, just sipping soups and moving the mouth around during feeding time is exhausting and painful. On top of that I’ve lost some weight and stay hungry alot, but I continue to eat as much as I can. I finally got some pretty good sleep the third night, maybe about 4 to 5 hours. I’ve found out that the best thing for me to do is sleep sideways with a couple of pillows under me. During this whole ordeal so far, the worst thing for me is the constant build up of mucus. I have to keep a spit bottle with me at all times, day or night. Day 4 comes around in the morning rather nicely due to the fact that I’ve slept the most thus far. This day has been a repeat of day 3 for me pretty much. My mouth is a funky creamy white color. This is normal from what I understand. The one thing that concerns me is I haven’t had a bowel movement for 4 days now. I wonder if this is normal. I know I haven’t eaten as much as I normally would, but I would have surely thought by now something would happen. This kind of concerns me, does anyone have some related information on this issue? I will try to post on here every day to keep from being so lengthy.

 Derek August 12, 2012 at 6:08 am

Hi again,

Day 5 went through just as the past couple of days have. There is a little bit more pain each day from eating. This seems to get worse every day so far, but just slightly. It’s still mostly the ears to deal with the most to me. Each night get gets better with sleep. Maybe just a little dizzy at times when I first get up. Day 6 is here where I’m at now. Again, the same as other days, but just a little more pain increase from eating. I find myself only getting a few bites or sips at a time, then having to go rest for a while. This really wears me out. It’s just very taxing on the ears. Yes it hurts to swallow every time, but the ear pain is where my concentration tends to focus. So eating about 7 to 9 times a day is what I’ve been doing. Mind you, these are only a few bites at each setting. I’m still haven’t had a bowel movement yet, and tomorrow will be a full week, very concerning. Can anyone give some info on this please?

 taj August 16, 2012 at 4:55 am


 Joanna August 16, 2012 at 7:17 am

I’m on day 10. It hasn’t been as bad as I expected, but it hasn’t been a walk in the park either. I had three or four very bad days, but they’ve passed and now I’m off the pain medicine. About the fifth day, I had to stop eating or drinking anything cold because it caused me sudden intense pain. I still can’t eat the ice cream I stockpiled before the surgery. I don’t feel well enough to leave my house except a quick trip to the drug store, but well enough to be bored. I had a look at the back of my throat. It’s not pretty, but it certainly looks less gnarly than it did at the beginning.

 coco August 21, 2012 at 7:27 pm

i found this article very very helpful. im 31 and it hasn’t even been 24 hours since my OP. this SUCKS. im doing everything that i need to be doing with the meds, the ice chips, the sleeping, the relaxing and i just know that it will get better in the end. Yes, my doc told me that it would hurt as an adult, way worse than a kid, but how bad…..OMG it is by far the worst pain i have felt in my life.

just one day at a time……
prayers for all who are going through this!

 Eric June 27, 2013 at 10:31 am

and the first day is the easiest…

 Patrick August 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm


I am 40 years old and I had mine done on the 1st August. I also had the Laser- Assisted Uvula Palatoplasty at the same time. I heard all the warnings and thought that it could not possibly be as bad as everyone was making it out to be. 5 days in I got an infection which was very bad. 10 days in I got bleeding and ended up in hospital overnight for observation. I was very wrong. today, 22nd August, I am still feeling the aftermath with a very irritated throat. I have never suffered so much before.

Just remember, it does get better.

 Brittiany August 23, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Ok I had my tonsils and adenoids removed at 11 am today in pain but it’s manageable .. The worst part was getting stuck alot with the needle because the nurse couldn’t find a good vein for my Iv. I’m staying overnight due to low iron my crazy nurse keeps trying to make me eat saltines .. Hah yeah right not happening .. I currently have a morphine drip and just recieved a 2 Dilantin shots and tormadol.. At first coming to this page made me want to cancel it but I figured Id rather get it over with cuz I’m 23 and not getting younger.. Lol . I’m literally STARVING!! Omg I want a burger from five guys.. I’ll come back later and update.

 Brittiany August 25, 2012 at 1:15 am

Ok day 2 agh I couldn’t sleep at all last night.. I’m sooo sleepy, I’m in pain and now I’m running a fever been home since about 12 and haves been lying around with a ice collar and taking my meds. I hope this gets better as I need some rest. I would fall asleep for about 5 minutes the. Wake up cuz of pain and I can hear myself snoring oh I got discharged with loratab , and percocet (sp). But nothing’s really working haven’t really eaten to much . But I choked on my loratab and that caused vomiting yuck. That hurt like the devil , omg. I need some help on how to cope with pain.. Talk to y’all later.

 Brittiany August 27, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Ahhh I’m so miserable this hurts so bad. I got admitted into the hospital due to an infection and severe pain.. They gave me this wonderful spay called hurricane.. Yes that helps sooo much Thank You Dr. Jessica… I’m still not eating very much other then Popsicles and lots of juice and water .. I sleep diluting the day and at night I’m up which is weird. I’m not hungry anymore just annoyed and thirsty.. Ttyl

 Alice August 28, 2012 at 7:19 am

Im on day 5 after my tonsillectomy now. The pain is unbearable. I just want to eat food and swallow but no dice. I’ve been prescribed an anti inflammatory, a morphine style pill and standard pain relief (Panadol) and I feel like nothing is working. I was kept overnight at the hospital because of the sheer size of my tonsils, doctors said they had never seen anything like them.

My timeline so far was

Day 1 (Same day of operation): feeling okay. Able to talk and eat and sleep. No dramas, I thought everyone else was just whining about it.

Day 2: feeling slightly worse. Feeling like the pain relief is really doing nothing at all. started feeling nausious and was vomiting.

Day 3: I thought I saw the light and it was starting to get better. But that was probably because I was only awake for 4/24 hours on day 3.

Day 4: better. Really feeling like I was on the mend. However When having dinner I started choking and ended up vomiting again.

Day 5 (today): woke up feeling okay. Once I say up though I realized that I had unbearable and agonizing ear pain that radiated right down to my throat. Cannot swallow and cannot eat which is making taking my medication very very hard. All I want to do is eat and leave my house!

The other thing I guess I’ve noticed is my tongue is numb. All along the left side I have absolutely no feeling whatsoever and slight loss of feeling on the right side. Anyone else have this? I’m terrified for day 8-9 where the scabs will come off. I don’t really fancy bleeding to death.

 Alice August 30, 2012 at 9:17 am

Well I’m just about ready to scream. I woke up yesterday (day 6) and felt like there were razor blades in my throat. I swallowed and nearly fainted from the pain. Yesterday was bad. I’ve managed to start eating some soft foods like risotto (even though it tastes like ass as my tongue is still completely numb and tasteless) but today woke up and NO better. I felt like there was a giant something in the back of my throat, and when I brushed my teeth this morning (which, with an electric toothbrush is THE DEVIL) it dislodged and made me throw up everywhere.

I’m seriously starting to doubt the good in all of this. I’m due to go back to work in 1 week but if I’m still like this that’s definitely not happening. I have an appointment with the hospital tomorrow as I called and said the pain was getting worse. I’m thinking that I have an infection. We will see how it goes tomorrow

Good luck to those who are about to have their operation. I think I would have rather had the 2 weeks at work unpaid than this misery.

(I’m only bitter because I got a new car the day before my surgery and because of my meds I’m not allowed to drive it. Humph.)

 Brittiany August 31, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Lol at Alice about your car I know exactly how that feels to not be able to drive. I’m on day 7 today and I’m still in a great deal of pain the infection is getting better but I still get the chills still starving I really want a chef slaf or some crab legs and shrimp right now. Watching tv makes it worse because of the commercials.. But yesterday I was reading then I felt something in my mouth it was a big piece about the size of a quarter of mucus it was blood tinged but I don’t know if was a scab or what. I was brushing my teeth ad moral then I started coughing up lil chunks and blood is that normal? Also when I clear my throat the mucusy stuff moves and come out . My dr called me in more medicine which is making me so tired . Good luck ttyl.

 Alice September 3, 2012 at 1:29 pm

@Brittiany. I definitely think that would have been a scab. Mine didn’t show until day 10 but I hear it’s anywhere from 5-14 days that they come off. As long as the bleeding isn’t continuous you should be okay. Bright red blood is expected when the scabs come off so a little is okay :-)

Day 11 for me and I think I’m FINALLY seeing the light. Yesterday and today I only had one dose (2 tablets) of meds early in the morning and that’s it (mostly because I wanted to be able to leave the confine of my apartment and go to the freaking shops without being spaced out of my mindddd!).

The scabs are coming off, it doesn’t hurt much to my surprise, it’s just really disgusting. It feels like a semi soggy corn flake stuck to the back of your throat that won’t come off. And you have to seriously try and restrain yoursel from vomiting (which I did three times today because of these disgusting things!) I took a picture of the inside of my mouth and it’s disgusting and looks like cauliflower (I know that’s graphic but everyone on here seems to want to know about the scabs!) I even managed to go out for lunch today an actually eat a meal! Bagel, eggs, mushrooms. Normal human food not purée!

I saw the doctor on Friday (day 8) and they said it was way too early to tell if it was okay, but they didn’t need to see me again unless I started bleeding to death.

Hopefully everything goes okay from here on out! I still have another week off work and I think I will need it, talking for extended periods (I.e. for me this is more than 10 seconds lol) causes pain and the earache is still horrible.

Hope you’re on your way to recovery! Day 8 was when I started to be okay with eating normal foods again!

 Brittiany September 4, 2012 at 5:46 am

@Alice I think that was a scab and the only one that come off so far. I’m now on day 10 I have had an amazing turn around the pain is at the bear mininiumal literally I took the medicine this morning because at night my throat gets dry I’m still on antibiotics because I the fever and infection but the fever is gone now. The worst pain I’m in is on the side of my tounge because of the thrush but I drink lots of water to help that , today I went to Walmart for laundry detergent and soap I was so exhausted after doing that, lol but I think I’m going to take things slower . I thank my Hubby as I’m a stay at home mom to my Daughter because I honestly wouldn’t be able to talk all day at a regular job. But I’m still on soft foods like mashed and baked potatoes I stopped eating soup a while ago because I got sick of it Popsicles help also too and tons and tons of water but there limited to less salt etc and no spicy I actually ate a French frie it was sooo good I miss regular foods but hey Im losing weight. I haven’t seen my dr and I won’t until next Wednesday . My throat looks the same as before but with pockets of mucus it’s a little weird looking but other than that everything’s good so far . I hope the bad part is behind me , There is a light at the other end of the tunnel thank goodness. Good luck talk to you later!!

 Brittiany September 4, 2012 at 5:49 am

Oh and I have yet to bleed just when I had that chunk in my mouth nothing major like I keep reading. The medicine I had been taking was loratab 500 ml Percocet 800 ml and amoxicillin 400 ml

 Yani September 4, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Hello, my surgery was about 2 weeks ago and now I’m finally recovering way faster than when I first started. The day of the surgery i was feeling not too bad because of the anesthesia but day two is wen the pain started. I received Oxycodone, Celecoxib, and Tylenol as medicine. They really helped stop the pain but made me very sleepy. Due to the medication I only experienced pain as I woke up but it went away in a matter of minutes. It was very hard to eat anything the first week, I lived off pudding and ice cream, and sometimes soup. After week one I started with more meals since my scab fell off, but it was still very painful. It’s the beginning of week two now and I am eating more foods, the pain is very little sometimes none at all, I still feel a little pain as I wake up but it goes away with no medication needed. I strongly advise that you drink a lot of water! Cold will be better. Get a lot of sleep in nice environment, good air conditioning, humidifier. Make sure you have someone around you to help you, or take you to the emergency room if you can’t take yourself. Do not rush to eat your favorite foods you will suffer pain and i will be very hard to swallow. You might have some trouble breathing if you sleep on your back the first week. Other than that it’s a painful recovery and everyone has different experience but in the end it is worth it.

 Shane (25) September 5, 2012 at 1:15 am

Hi, Currently on day 8 and doing alright.

Day 1+2 were good as the anaesthetic hadn’t worn off. After surgery I was given crisps, apple and dry cereal to eat to help the heading process. It’s tough going to swallow but it’s better than soft foods as it helps drag, for want of a better word, gunk down your throat and speed up recovery.

Day 3 onwards was quite painful, especially the earaches in the morning. You have to make yourself eat toast, apple’s and general crunchy foods so that phlegm doesn’t build up in around affected area.

If your getting earaches make sure to get some drops as this alleviates the pain almost immediately. I waited 2 painful days to discover this.

Parts of the scabs have come off and I’m just waiting for the bulk of them to go now. Painkillers are working well however, and I tend to fall asleep 10-30 mins after taking them which is great, though my sleeping times are completely messed up now.

As a smoker, pre-surgery, I found it tough to not smoke afterwards due to boredom mostly. While you can smoke it slows down the healing process so it’s best to just lay off them. Gonna see if I can stay off them now even after recovery though drinking will be the ultimate test of this! Had a pint of Guinness on day 5 and it took me about 1.5 hours to finish my pint, tough going so best to avoid alcohol altogether I reckon.

Basicially if we all make like Chopper Read and ‘Harden the F*&k up’ we’ll get through this within 2 weeks. Another plus is that I think my snoring has completely stopped now which explains why it had gotten so bad in this last year, as my tonsils got bigger and bigger. Breathing feels great, proper big breaths of air getting into my lungs too.

 Alice September 5, 2012 at 5:26 am

Day 13. The pain in my ears is still really bad and my throat hurts a LOT. I try and go without pain meds but I always give up and take something. I am SO over this!!!!!!!!!!

 Brittiany September 6, 2012 at 4:55 am

I’m either on da 11 or 12 Idk anymore I lost count.. Lol I feel ok little pain but now it feels as if im catching a cold with a sore throat which Is random. But the best thing is to drink chilly water and Gatorade as they don’t burn when going down and it keeps you hydrated , I’m more exhausted then ever but that could be because of my iron being low. I get random pain in my ears which leads to a migraine . Ttyl feel better everyone !

 Shell September 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm

What procedure did you have? I’m having Entceps/Thermal Tissue welding on the 17th and I’m curious if anyone has had this method.

 Brittiany September 7, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Hello Shell. I had the traditional method with my dr just cutting them out them her used a laser to seal the wounds. I was scared also but I knew I would keep getting worse and missing important things in my daughters life. All my worry was for nothing the nurses were extremely nice and comforting I went in alone due to work schedules being switched and I was crying more like balling .. Lol but my wonderful nurse calmed me down I owe her big time , eventually my husband and mother showed up but my nurse was still there. The worst part of the pain is waking up because you have dry mouth so just keep drinking it will feel much better , also I wasn’t prescribed an antibiotic which I got a infection upon leaving the hospital so ask for one if possible. If you have any more questions I’m here feel free to ask.. Ttyl Good Luck!

 Shell September 7, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Thank you for the tips, I guess I’ll keep looking around the sites, I really don’t want to scare myself to bad. I found a guy on YouTube that had the same method I’m getting he was under “painless” tonsillectomy hahaha. It sounds like you don’t get scabs from this method but who knows, this is the only review I’ve found. Anyways im glad to hear your feeling better I’m sure your daughter is happy to have her mommy back, I have a daughter who is 16 and just started driving so I’m sure she won’t care if I can’t talk for awhile lol!

 Brittiany September 8, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I think I saw that video on YouTube also that’s the only thjngbinfound as well when I type it in google it give me a definition nothing major. Thank You today I’m actually going to Dc for a few hours this is the first time being out than grocery shopping. I think I’m ready still no pain just a stuffy nose due to allergies . Wow I can’t imagine when she’s 16 she’s already demanding . Your daughter is going to be execited but yet worried that’s how my neice acted she ran all my errands for me and played with my daughter she even tried to cook us dinner she’s 17 and a only che she basically moved in .. I owe her major.. Ttyl

 Brittiany September 7, 2012 at 5:38 am

I had a tonsilectomy and adenoidectomy.. Aka a Ant..

 Shell September 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I’m sorry, what I wanted to ask was what method did you have? I’m having a tonsillectomy but I haven’t found alot of info on the method I’m getting. Im 38 and really scared. Thank you

 Brittiany September 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Shell your reply is above sorry about that. Oh I’m 23. What method are you getting ?

 Shell September 7, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I’m having the Entceps/thermal tissue welding, Sept 17th, which I think is a fairly new method. I’ve been searching the web for a couple of weeks now and decided to start asking about which method they had but I still haven’t found any! Glad to hear your doing better. Did you use a humidifier?

 Brittiany September 7, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I have neve heard of the method which is weird.. I kept a humidifier because I live in va this time of year it’s hot and humid getting ready for fall.. Still here if you have more questions.

 Brittiany September 7, 2012 at 6:11 am

Omg I just had the worst pain in days!! I yawned it hurt so bad I almost cried !!

 Shell September 7, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Hope your feeling better today!

 Brittiany September 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I’m doing great Thanks for asking . How are you doing? No more ear pain and I very rarely have throat pain. But it’s nothing major . Just be careful when yawning .

 Samantha September 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I had my tonsils and adenoids taken out Tuesday morning, so I am 3rd day post op. I have been experiencing a ton of jaw pain, to the point where I can’t even open my mouth enough to fit a spoonful of something in or I can’t brush my tongue when I brush my teeth. My throat has obviously hurt a lot (sometimes I have to hug a pillow or grip the edge of a countertop to swallow something if my meds are starting to wear off), but it turns out I actually had an abscess on one of my tonsils (the doctor didn’t find it until he took the tonsil out) and coincidentally my doctor had told me before the surgery that people who have an abscess often do better with recovery because of how incredibly painful abscesses are. SO TRUE. It’s a very similar feeling, except this time you have pain meds! My biggest complaint is sleeping – I set my phone to wake me up every 4 hours to take my meds, except I usually have to wait the 40ish minutes for the medicine to kick in before I can fall asleep, so basically I’ve been taking 3-4 naps every night which is very disruptive. I’ve also had a ton of mucous drainage from having my adenoids taken out and if my head isn’t elevated enough when I try to go to sleep I feel like I’m choking or that my breathing passages are being blocked. Honestly, the biggest thing I didn’t expect after surgery is all the gross phlegm I’ve been hacking up. I know this is from the adenoids, but it’s coating the back of my throat and food sticks to it and it’s all around disgusting. I can’t wait until that stops!!! I did find that taking my anti-allergy medicine helped A LOT with the drainage factor.

 Randy September 8, 2012 at 2:45 am

Having had a sore throat and a mutant left tonsil for a while now, I was told by an EENT doc today that I need my tonsils out. I’m 63 and in otherwise excellent health. To be honest, I’ve been told this on and off for the better part of 50+ years, so it was actually a relief to hear it from a surgeon. I will try to post up my experience soon after the operation which should be scheduled in about two weeks.

 Tata September 9, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I have chronic sinusites, 3 years ago my Doc gave me my options: take tonsils out and fix and clean sinus. It took some courage, but I decided to have it done even after my own doc would tell me that it really hurts. He actually said to me: I would like to get this procedure done for myself but I’m afraid of the pain, so I won’t do it. First day I was ok, in a scale of 1-10, 10 being worse, I felt a 7…second day also, with the meds and all I was mostly just discomfort. Day #3 I couldn’t talk, swallow, I’d be counting the time in my clock to make sure I would miss a dosage of my next meds, I was just looking forward to it, and would stop calling the nurse for advise. Haven’t done #2 in 7 days. Day#4 finally got a good night’s sleep but feeling so dry, saliva hurts, don’t feel like drinking or eating anything, just afraid of pain. Right now all I can think about is how much I regret doing this, it’s so far the worse pain I’ve felt. Trying to go back to sleep, that’s the only thing that helps. Good luck to anyone thinking of doing this. I hope it’s worth in the end!

 Randy September 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Update: Had the procedure yesterday beginning about 10:15 am. Woke up groggy in recovery area, wife drove me home, she gave me the first set of meds, then I dozed off and on for an hour and a half. Definitely had sore throat, but drank lots of water with some discomfort, had some frozen yogurt on a stick, and spooned a couple of slushy vanilla protein shakes. Difficult to swallow, but I just persevered and did it. Gargled with hydrogen peroxide and water (50-50 mix) a couple of times as prescribed, too. I even walked down the street to meet my son at the bus stop at 4:15 since it was such nice weather and I was getting bored. Took it mostly easy during the later afternoon and evening (which means I resisted mowing the lawn and doing a few other chores), got about five hours of sleep in our recliner so as not to lay flat, and woke up feeling great this morning. I ate a frozen yogurt again this morning, and I’m nibbling on a medium ripe banana at this very moment. Throat is sore, but I’m not wincing quite as severely each time I swallow like I did throughout yesterday. Am taking my acetaminophen hydrocodone (15 ml, 4x per day). Tried to gargle the lidocaine liquid at one point yesterday … it worked to numb the mouth and throat, but is relatively short acting and wore off in about 30 minutes or less. Not unless I’m really hurting will I do that again. I’m sure every procedure is different as is everyone’s response to this procedure. I know I have several days (weeks?) yet to go before I approach what anyone would consider normalcy, but I’m pleased with my recovery so far. I will try to do another update possibly tomorrow morning or if I have any deviations from a gradual recovery to report.

 Shell September 15, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Glad to hear everything is going ok so far, I’m having mine out on Monday the 17th so I guess I’ll be about 3 days behind you. What method of tonsillectomy did you have?

 Randy September 16, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Update 2: It’s been just over 48 hours now since I had the procedure. Sorry, Shell, I don’t know the answer to your question as to the “method.” During my follow up, I will try to ask that question of the surgeon. I can report, however, either I over did it yesterday by eating too much solid food (tuna noodle casserole was probably the most “solid”), or this may be normal, but it is more uncomfortable today even to talk. I’ve kept up the schedule for pain meds and antibiotics, so that is not the cause. Looking into my throat in a mirror with a flashlight definitely reveals a whiteish coating over the area where the tonsils had been. In the interests of full disclosure and possibly risking the sensitivities of some, that is probably evidence of scab formation, and there is an odor associated with it (i.e. bad breath) as predicted by a nurse who preregistered me over the phone. I did attend my adult church Sunday school class this morning, but elected to come back home without attending the worship service. I’m not at all one who naps, but that’s what I’m going to do this afternoon. I certainly hope my experience as written here helps those facing this procedure. When I think of those who are facing truly serious health issues in their lives, this seems so incredibly inconsequential that I feel grateful for my good health. Good luck, Shell. I’ll be thinking of you.

 Randy September 18, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Update 3: It’s been very nearly four full days since I had my tonsils removed. Throat still hurts despite staying right on the med schedule. The information given to me says to chew gum, that it will keep the throat more relaxed and presumably hurt less (?). Plan to be more conscientious about doing that from now on. I ran out of the hydrocodone liquid form and am now taking hydrocodone in tablet form every four hours as needed. Napping is still the most it’s ever been plus I’m sleeping VERY soundly each night, too, again probably due to the meds. Throat is absolutely covered in whiteish coating, probably scab I would assume. At nearly the 96-hour point, and I’m waiting to turn the corner where the discomfort begins to subside. My wife (who just happens to be a physician) talked to the surgeon on Sunday. He said that for adults, it’s like being “hit by a truck.” There are moments when my impatience with this gets the better of me and I tend to agree with him.

 Randy September 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm

My final pathology came back this morning, and I have cancer, probably at the base of my tongue. So, my attentions will now be focused on other things as you can well imagine. Good luck to all of you.

 Shell September 19, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Oooh my gosh, I’m so sorry to hear that. What will be the next step now?

 Alice September 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Day 17 for me.

To be honest, people who say that it’s all over with in 2 weeks must have had some miracle surgery! Yawning is excruciating and opening my mouth wide is still VERY painful. Worst pain is in the morning when I wake up. Going back to work tomorrow and I’m still completely exhausted so we will see how a 9 hour straight day goes!

The back of my throat still looks foul. The scabs haven’t come off completely (maybe 60% still left) and its just grossss!

I reckon It’s gonna be another 2 weeks at least before I’m healed. Ugh. I hate this!

 Brittiany September 10, 2012 at 6:41 am

Ok I on day 16 now I feel almost 100% it only hurts when I yawn. I have a very very little discomfort when I swallow but nothing major !! I’m on no pain medicine whatsoever. Just another round of antibiotics .. I think I feel so much better than others because the day of my surgery my Dr and Nurse MADE me eat saltines and orange juice right after the surgery in order to get my medicine I had to eat because I did loose blood. But my diet is regular back to normal just not too much salt or seasoning.. I think I might have scabs still but I don’t know I can’t even see the thick mucus anymore . I. Can open my mouth wide but my jaws hurt like lockjaw.. Good luck ttyl!!

 Shellie September 10, 2012 at 10:05 pm

This is day 4 post op for me. I feel the same way. Why did I do this??? The pain is unreal. I have eaten Popsicles , jello, I tried applesauce and it stuck to the back of my throat. I gag and throw up when I take my pain pills When I throw up it come out my nose also. All I can say is I think I am getting a little better now, but would never do it again

 Alice September 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Shellie, hang in there! I hate to say that it gets worse before it gets better. You will see some light at about day 14.

I’m on three weeks today since my operation. I’m back at work full time and eating a pretty normal diet. My scans are still there, every now and then I feel one dislodge.

I get some pain through the day. It’s just a dull ache though. Like a mild sore throat. I’m not taking any forms of painkillers though (I got a really weird rash on my hands from my meds though! I was taking paracetamol (or acetaminophen), oxycodone (or Percocet) and codeine. I had an antiinflamatory as well but I didn’t take it because I was scared of bleeding! So I’m not sure what the rash was from.)

Anyway. I’m pretty good from here. I probably won’t post again unless there are any real changes. It was nice to know there are other people out there going through the same thing and having people to chat to about it saved my poor partners soul from hearing about all the gory details!

If you’re still recovering, like I said, stay strong! I know it seems not worth it at the moment and the pain is UNBEARABLE but you’ll feel better!

 TroubledToad September 16, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Your advice on tonsilictomy has been very helpful. I just had mine removed 3 days ago. Loads of fun so far! Lol. My Dr. told my a few things to watch for, but the best one to listen to are the recovery nurses. They are the best! Mine told me to wrap some ice in a towel and apply to your outer neck area. It has helped me so much. Just that relief of immediate pain with the ice is great. Good luck to any one brave enough to have this procedure done. In 2weeks I know I will say ,” this is the best thing I have done for myself”. Hang in there everyone!

 Sam September 17, 2012 at 9:00 am

Day 1: 9/10/12 not to bad after leaving the hospital hard to swallow but pain meds helped.
Day 2: 9/11/12 still not too bad just taking the meds every 3 hours 15 ml. Still hurts to swallow drinking water and eating jello
Day 3: 9/12/12 pain seem to get a little worse still taking meds ever 3 hours 15 ml almost out of the meds and for some reason I can’t get a refill for another two day??? Insurance company…
Day 4: 9/13/12 pain still worse then the first couple day. Was able to get a refill but had to pay out I pocket. Still drinking cold water and eating jello.
Day 5: 9/14/12 pain seems to be getting better still taking the meds ever 3 hours was able to sleep longer but when I wake up the pain is pretty rough cause I missed a dose of meds. Swallowing still sucks drinking water. Tried McDonald’s hamburger and some fries. Worked on half a burger and about 6 fries for about 20-30 min and gave up.
Day 6: 9/15/12 pain seem to have gotten way worse!!! My ear hurt and isn’t tolerable without the meds. I don’t need to watch the clock to tell me when to take the meds cause after about 2 1/2 – 3 hours the ear pain starts I need to take 15 ml to help with the ear pain. Don’t get me wrong the throat still hurts but the ear pain is not tolerable!
Day 7: 9/16/12 paint in the ears is even worse wtf!!! Need to take pain meds ever 3 hours or my head feels like its caving in on it self starting with the ears to the neck/throat. I have some back problems where I have thrown my back out and I thought that’s the worse pain I have ever felt but the ear pain makes my back pain feel like a walk in the park. I am close to running out on my second bottle of meds… I am hoping I can get another scrip tomorrow. My guts are rolling I am guessing cause of the lack of food and all the meds I have been using. My bowel movements aren’t solid. Still hard to swallow. I kind of don’t want to sleep cause I know I will wake up with the ear pain. BEST thing I was able to eat was custard from culvers while I was there I figured I would try a burger and fry’s still a no go… Worked on a 1/3 of a buger and about 4 fries for about 30 mins got bored and threw the rest away. The custard was the easiest thing that I have tried eating so far even easier then jello or even drinking water.
Day 8: 9/17/12 well it’s only 1:45 am and I am hoping to get more meds from Walgreens if not I will head into the walk in clinic to get something cause there is no way I am sitting around my house with that ear pain. Still hurts swallowing guts are rolling still. I wish I could eat something solid. It’s been a week and nothing seemed to improve only getting worse… I hope I am at the turning point where things start getting better but I don’t know. From all the post I have read thing still seem shitty for another week…

I am 31 years old. Things I have eating / tried to eat.
Mac and cheese – ok doesn’t taste that great
Jello – how much of this can you really eat
Ice cream – ehh not the greatest still hurts to swallow
Custard – very easy to eat and taste
Ramen noodles – pretty easy to eat I crushed the noodles before I cooked them so I could just drink the soap and not have to worry about chewing.
Hamburger – McDonald’s easier then culvers but I work at this and I don’t think it was worth the effort or the pain.
French frys – not worth it too much pain trying to chew them
Shurbert – easy to eat but not as easy as the custard
Popsicles – I don’t think these are worth it you still have to chew which hurts I would rather get custard.

Things I haven’t tried but going to!
Mash potatoes and gravy from KFC! Going to try this today hopefully after getting more meds.
Anyone know of anything else I should try?
Also does anyone know when I should start feeling better or when the ear pain goes away?
I thought this was going to be an in and out thing but it seems way bigger deal then I thought. I still drive everywhere but I don’t feel like doing anything cause moving hurts. I run out to get more food or get more meds.
I wish I had this done when I was a kid cause this sucks.

I can usually handle a pretty good amount of pain but the ear pain and if I burp or cough it so intense…

Anyone have any good news for me or something else I could be doing?

 Shell September 18, 2012 at 12:24 am

Surgery at 7:00am wouldn’t be so bad if my ears would stop hurting, from the time I woke up my ears have hurt. 12 hours of ear pain. I wanted to ask the DR. If he pulled my tonsils out of my ears.

 Sam September 18, 2012 at 1:37 am

That sucks! Ear pain is almost the worse part of the whole experinece!
I am able to eat some new England clam chowder!!! Well just he soup part not the solids but the soup seems to be filling me up :) for the first time in 8 days :)

 Sam September 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm


Day 7: 9/17/12 still sucks pain everytime I swallow. I don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am on my third bottle of hydrocodone…. Anyone else had to call the doctor to get more or am I the only one? I feel that I a healing super slow I don’t know why but this is horrible.

Day 8: 9/18/12 I was able to sleep for 3-3 1/2 hour periods last night but woke up on my own cause of the pain. I went and bought a humidifier hopefully it help. I am suppose to see my doctor tomorrow for my post surgery appointment. I hope he has good news for me and a miricale pill! I doubt it… Ate some popsicles before I feel asleep last night. Went down pretty easy. Anyone have any good soft foods to try? It’s only 9:30 am so I might up date you guys more later tonight.

 Beverly McClain September 24, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Sam no you are not the only one…I had the same thing happen to me..I hardly ever used all my pain medicine before this happend but I had to refill twice… I know what you are going through and hope all is well now :) Take care

 Marla September 21, 2012 at 6:19 am

My dr. Has recommended a tonsillectomy and I’m trying to find out some specifics regarding recovery. I’m 44, single mom to a 5 year old and won’t have much help, except a few kind neighbors who will take my daughter to school for me.

So..besides the overall miserableness of sore throat, ear pain, etc. were you able to function normally or did you just want to lay in bed? If so, how many days before you could be up and around.

Did your dr. Say you could drive? Or not for xx days?

Can you talk at all? Or just too painful? Or after how many days could you talk?

Any specific details would be appreciated.thanks!

 Marlin September 21, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Hello everyone I see that we all have all of the same things happening to us. I am 35 and on day 11 after my tonsillectomy, day 8 my scabs came off and I do feel better. I would like to know if anyone has completely recovered and if so how long did it exactly take? I have been gauging with salt and water after my first week of surgery and I started feeling better faster. I and still have trouble with yawning and some pain in my tongue. Can anyone please tell me what the complete recovery time might look like.

 Sam September 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Maira- The first couple days arent going to be that bad cause you will be on the pain meds. You probably won’t want to do anything but lay around and sleep and rest. Day 3-4-5 are pretty much the same don’t miss your dose medication or the pain increase a ton. Set an alarm for ever 3 hours or so to take your meds. 6-7 sucked the worse for me and day 8 felt better after the scab came off. 9-10-11 sucks but nothing near what the past week has been. Driving you can drive your self from the hospital they make you have someone stay with you for 24 hours. After the first 24 hours I drove myself around I don’t think your suppose to drive though on the pain meds so do it at your own risk. Make sure you stock up on water, gator aid, juice, jello, pudding, yogurt, Popsicles, sherburt, I’ve cream, custard. I would eat ice cream yogurt or the custard the first couple of days cause its a dairly but I have to say the custard was the easiest to go down. I am on like 11-12 right now I am off the pain meds and able to eat some soft food but still hurts to swallow. Still sucks chewing on food and trying to get them down like swallowing sand paper. Soups are good also cream soups like clam chowder was easy to get down only ate the soup portion but was more filling then the popsicle and jello.

Recover time I think is different for everyone an also the pain level is going to be different for everyone but the ear pain I had around 4-5-6-7 was crazy bad. So don’t skip your meds!!!
I think for adult it averages around 4-6 weeks for full recovery. I think everything is pretty much over with in 2 weeks but still have some throat pain and scratchness between 3-6 weeks. That’s just the wide range I information I found on the internet. Pretty much after day 10-11 you Should feel better that’s when I did.

For yawning what seem to help me was if I felt a yawn coming I clinch my teeth together like I was buying down on something hard help with the pain. So try that to see I it helps.

 Sam September 21, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Ooo yeah drink a lot of fluids helps also don’t let your throat dry out. Buy a humidifier a good one not some crapy loud one you will have that running for atleast a week

Drink drink drink!!! Don’t for get your meds!!! The first week is going to suck!!!

Go eat some of your favorite foods before you go your surgery! I miss food. I lost about 15 pounds lying in bed…

 Isabel Ameli September 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I’m 20 years old, and barely on day two of post op. My whole experience of my tonsillectomy wasn’t so bad. The worst part of it all was just the IV, but the hospital I went to provided a numbing solution (which felt like a bee sting but only for a few seconds) and everything was fine from there. I’m recovering well, if you have had severe tonsillitis more than 4 times in one year, the soreness from a tonsillectomy is much preferred! Other then telling me how huge my tonsils were, my doctor told me everything went perfect and I should recover fine. So all in all, my experience was fine, but I still have many days of recovery! I’ve practically been drowsy for these past two day, and I suggest rice pudding! It’s soft an soothing to eat. I had no bleeding, just dried blood in my nose, and I have had a few incidents where I hurt myself from trying to cough up mucus! Best of luck to anyone who is also getting a tonsillectomy!

 Eric June 27, 2013 at 6:19 pm

i didn’t think it was so bad on day 2 either.. im sure by day 6 you found it to be worse right?

 Olivia September 25, 2012 at 8:30 am

Well I made it though my tonsillectomy at 7am this morning. I know I need to be drinking lots of fluids but I can’t handle the pain in my throat then straight to my ear. Can someone please tell me why docs think its fun to prescribe big pills?! I cut my pain pill in half and got it down ok. It knocked me out for about an hour then I woke up to a very dry throat and had a hard time again drinking water. After about 4pm I learned if I plug my ears while I swallow, the pain is slightly less intense. I had a few spoonfuls of jello now I’m off to bed. Hopefully this pain pill will kick in so I can drink some water.

 Andi September 27, 2012 at 3:14 am

Hey guys, im 30 and Today marks day 7 for me. I’ve always had a very high pain tolerance so I didn’t think this would be any worse than strep. For the most part I was right and wrong at the same time. Day 4 was by far the worst with day 3 being a close second. I cried out of frustration on those days. I haven’t been on any pain meds since day 2 because it turns out I was allergic to them. The lack of pain meds didn’t really phase me at all, but I am a total wimp in terms of ear pain, and holy balls, my ears were hurting something fierce. Loud noises or vibrations made me want to punch someone. That being said I went to go see an action movie last night and I felt okay. Today I ate some eggs and then took a nice long bath. After the bath I felt something in the back of my throat so I looked and there were my eggs! So gross, but its deal-able. I’ve lost a total of 8 pounds since day 1. Honestly I complain about not having a delicious burrito or burger in my hand more than the pain. Oh and the scabs are starting to get thinner. Smoothies are delicious, but I never want to see soup ever again, and I’m iffy on the thought of eggs ever again lol.

 Mike September 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Thanks to everyone who has been tracking their progress on their forum. I go in for my tonsillectomy today, and it’s helped to read others accounts and be prepared. I’ve been reading people’s accounts for the past 10 days, and I’m ready! Bring it on!

 misty September 28, 2012 at 2:52 pm

on day 11 of having my tonsils removed ugh i have had the most unbearable pain thru out these past 11 days and i am so ready to be done with it all scabs came of around day 8 on one left side but not the right and does it hurt lost about 10 lbs since this began and im ready to get back to eating and being without pain

 Olivia September 30, 2012 at 8:27 am

Oops I missed a few days. Lets see day two was a lot like day one but I managed to drink half a bottle of water and brush my teeth. Day three was really bad, the pain in my ears was horrible. I had a little bit of a fever that day but it went down pretty quickly. Day four I was tired of jello and broth so I tried a soggy grilled cheese. It took me an hour to eat half. Then for dinner I had some Mac and cheese, it took me a while but I was able to eat a cup. Today is ay five and I woke up regretting the grilled cheese. My throat hurt so bad and so did the pain in my ears. When I take my pain meds I fall asleep easily but I have to sleep in my side. If not my throat relaxes too much and it feels like it closes. Is anyone else having that problem?? Hopefully I start feeling better soon, it’s frustrating that I can’t talk very much to my five year old and have to have help with her. And I’m ready to eat a jumbo cheeseburger or something with more flavor. :(

 Raymond h October 3, 2012 at 4:19 am

I had mines done they also reconstruct my uvilar and it was painful day 1 but after that it was fine until the 11 day I thought what has happen did I make the wrong call the pain was unbarible it lasted 4 more days then went away however my throat feels as if I got stitches dangleling with in trapping food in my throat this is a feeling I hate and want to get rid of ps still hurts a little when I swallow

 Rhian October 3, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hi had my tonsil removed Friday nearly a week the pain is horrific I can cope with that it’s my tongue it’s swollen doesn’t fit my mouth I have teeth marks cos of this anyone have the same problem.

 Anna October 4, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Hi everyone…I’m on my 4rth day now from my Tonsillectomy. I felt good when I woke up but suddenly when I tried to eat mashed potatoe, the pain was there to embrace me and feeling an ear ache. It’s still 3 hours I’m into my pain meds, I can’t wait to take again anymore.

 Mike October 4, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Hey everyone-

I had my surgery a week ago today, and I’m making it. Basically, days 2-7 have been almost identical as far as the throat goes. As long as I keep on the pain meds, it’s completely tolerable…it’s there, and it kind of hurts a little, but nothing I can’t cope with – I had an abscess on my tonsil back in April, and it was 10 times worse (though I didn’t have pain meds then). My body felt better after the anesthesia wore off last weekend, but without being able to eat much more than pudding and jello, coupled with the pain meds, I stay pretty tired.

I am bracing myself, because I’ve read on here that somewhere between days 7-11, things can get worse, so we’ll see, but at this point, it’s not any worse – if not possibly a little better – than I was expecting.

« OLDER ENTRIES                                                                      NEWER ENTRIES »

Leave a Reply