• Post Category:Blog

crying-manThere is a vast difference between having a tonsillectomy as a child and as an adult. Firstly, the older you are, the longer it takes the body to heal. Secondly, a child’s tonsils are much smaller than an adult’s and require much less skin to be removed. The larger adult tonsils tend to cause more trauma and pain. However, doctors do not completely understand why an adult experiences more subjective pain than a child. If you are about to have a tonsillectomy or have recently had your tonsils removed, you should expect moderate to severe discomfort and pain for at least two weeks, sometimes longer.

Immediately after the tonsillectomy operation you should not feel too much pain as you will still have the anaesthetic in your system. The pain usually starts to become very uncomfortable when you wake up the following day. Your recovery experience will depend a lot on how you plan for and manage the next two weeks. You should expect to have a mild to severely sore throat in the first two weeks. The throat pain will peak around days 7-11 when the scabs from the wound begin to fall off. You should also expect to lose some weight and feel hungry as you will not be able to follow your normal diet. Loss of taste, sore tongue, bad breath and jaw pain are also commonly reported after a tonsillectomy. Some people also experience mild to severe nausea after the operation due to the anaesthetic.

Your first challenge will be eating and drinking. The most important advice that anyone can give you about recovering from a tonsillectomy is to drink water. Unfortunately drinking water is extremely painful, especially when the throat is dry .e.g. when you first wake up. However, if you do not drink water, the throat becomes even drier and it is even more painful to drink water. You should keep a bottle of water close to you and sip it as often as you can.

Eating food is also very difficult. The most common food in the first few weeks is ice chips or ice lollies as they both hydrate your throat and numb it at the same time which is very soothing. Rough foods which scrape your throat are painful, yet some doctors recommend rough food as they say it will clean the wound and speed up your recovery. I strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor about your tonsillectomy recovery and find out what foods he or she recommends. Most people in the USA are told to eat soft foods for the first week or so until after the scabs have fallen off and then slowly progress to rougher foods. Popular soft foods are pasta, baby food, jell-o, soup, scrambled egg. Do not eat very acidic or spicy foods or sauces as these will cause pain e.g. tomato based sauces or anything with chillies in it.

You will notice that you develop a heavy grey/yellow/white membrane where the tonsils were removed. This is the scab that is protecting the area where you tonsils were removed. It will slowly go away as you heal. The greatest risk you face is hemorrhaging of the wound. This occurs when the wound opens up and begins to bleed. If it is a very small amount it is usually not a big concern, however if it is more, you need to get urgent medical attention. In all cases, you should contact your doctor immediately or get to the nearest emergency hospital. You should not worry too much about the likelihood of serious hemorrhaging during your tonsillectomy recovery period as less than 4% of people will actually experience it.



Another area to focus on is your sleeping environment. You should plan to make this area as comfortable as possible as this is where you will be spending much of your recovery time. I strongly recommend buying or borrowing a humidifier as it can significantly aid in your tonsillectomy recovery. A humidifier will increase the humidity in air that you breathe and therefore aid in keeping your throat moist. Your sleeping cycle will almost certainly be affected by the medication you take and the pain you experience.Depending on the medication you are prescribed and the schedule for taking it, you may find yourself waking up when the medication begins to wear off and the pain increases.

Most people find themselves sleeping for between four and six hours at a time. It is generally a good idea to set an alarm to take your medication if you may be sleeping as this will also give you some time to drink some water.

Medication is critical during your tonsillectomy recovery. You can expect to be prescribed both a pain killer and anti-biotic. The anti-biotic is used to prevent or control any infection arising from the wound. The pain killers are obviously prescribed to help you manage the pain. You may be prescribed an opioid based pain killer which is very effective. Talk to your doctor and ask him exactly how often you should take your medication and the maximum you can take when the pain is severe.

Remember that after the scabs fall off around days 7-11, your recovery will be rapid. Don’t forget to drink water often and follow your medication schedule. If you have not yet had your tonsillectomy and are planning for it, go out now and buy yourself some of your favourite magazines, books etc. Even although the recovery period is quite short, it feels longer than it is and the more things you have to distract yourself with the better!


« OLDER ENTRIES                                                               NEWER ENTRIES »

 Sonja May 5, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I am 26 and getting my tonsils out 5/17/12. I am soooo nervous nad scared :( I have been searching the web and taking notes. I’m ready with a humidifier and ice packs. Going to avoid dairy for awhile. Drink lots and lots of water! Avoid acidic and spicy foods. Takes meds and set alarms to take them around the clock! Sleep inclined. White spots on throat after surgery is the scab… am I missing anything? LOL I am just nervous that the 2 weeks isn’t enough time. I have had people say they were off for 4 weeks! I would for a banker operation center. I take calls all day so all I do is talk.. just hope I am able to recover fast. If anyone has any additional tips or tricks please tell me! I appreciate all the help I have read from you all so far :)

 Sonja May 5, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I can’t type LOL *I work for a bank operation center

 stephanie May 5, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I just got my tonsils out on Wednesday…and it is sooo painful! Nothing could have prepared me for the pain. Can’t talk, hard to sleep, hurts to swallow, can’t wait to start feeling better and living a normal life again! Don’t mean to scare you Sonja, but it’s hell.

 Michelle May 6, 2012 at 12:39 am

Hi Sonja, you have done you’re homework, good girl!!
I am on day 12 of recovery now and I am feeling very well. I did the same as you – read all the horror stories, read a few positives – all I can say from my experience is: drink plenty of water as often as you can. I had mine at room temperature. Definitely stay away from diary – it puts a sticky film on your throat which is already sticky enough (you will understand what I mean after day 2/3). Regular meds is essential – wake yourself up through the night to take them and re-hydrate your throat. I missed them one time – oh boy, HUGE mistake. I was in agony. Listen to your body – it will tell you what to do. Rest as MUCH as you possibly can and take any opportunity you can to sleep. Use your humidifier – works wonders. Try to eat as soon as you can – it hurts, but it helps you recover quicker.
Everyone is different, but that is what worked for me.
You will be absolutely fine – just do as the doctor orders and you will be as right as rain in no time.
Good luck honey….don’t forget to blog so we know how you’re doing xxxxx

 Yelena May 5, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Sonja, I am on day#4 post-op. Talking for long periods of time is very painful. My mom called me the other day to ask me how I am doing and I couldn’t be on on the phone for more than a couple of minutes. I was planning on coming back to work on Monday (6 days after my surgery) but I am not sure what’s going to happen because many people say that days 6-7 could be especially bad because of scabs. Anyways, IF I am back at work, I would make arrangements with my boss so other coworkers would take my phones.

 Heather May 6, 2012 at 3:03 am

I just got mine out yesterday and nothing could have prepared me for this amount of pain. My doctor told me the first 48 hours are the worst but to just keep drinking and swallowing to help it heal. I have had two yogurts and some applesauce today (to keep nausea away when I take meds) but I am constantly drinking water, Sprite, and eating ice chips. I noticed that keeping ice packs on my neck and jaws help with my pain also. I just read about the humidifier so I think I’ll be sending someone to the store. I just keep reminding myself that this is going to pay off in the long run. Good Luck!

 Michelle May 7, 2012 at 12:30 am

Hey Heather, I had mine out in April 25th and I am fine now. It’s tough, and you feel like it will never end, but it will. Stay positive and rest up – you’ll be fine. Good luck with your recovery xxxx

 Heather May 7, 2012 at 3:23 am

Thanks Michelle, I am trying to stay positive but I am 37 and have had two children and didn’t experience this much pain during labor. But I have friend who had hers taken out a few years ago and I asked her about the hole in the throat and she said she didn’t experience that or ever hear of that either so I think I would be on phone with ENT in the morning. What day did you start moving up from water and ice chips? Meaning like smoothies or something warm?

 Michelle May 7, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Hi Heather, I haven’t tried a warm drink yet – and I have only just started to be able to drink Pepsi/Coke in the past couple of days. I have managed water or squash. It’s funny as I actually had roast potatoes the afternoon of my surgery, and managed to have some cereal before I went to bed, so swallowing was never really an issue for me. I have to say, I was expecting far worse pain than I went through, as I have suffered with septic tonsillitis since being 20 and I’m 33 now, and I honestly have had worse sore throats that what I’ve experienced.
My hardest challenge was mentally – it really is so hard trying to stay positive web you’re in so much pain. I kept on top of my meds and got up during the night to take them, and I think that helped. Also, the humidifier was a God send.
It’s hard when there’s little ones – my little boy is 4 and he found it hard to understand what was happening.
You will get there – honestly you will – you just need lots of patience and to listen to your body. You are a Mum of 2….you’re Superwoman!!!!! You will get there.
If you want to know anything, please ask – I update every day, so I’m always reading how others are getting on. Good luck xxxxxx

 Michelle May 7, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Oooh – almost forgot – say thanks to your friend for the info on the “hole” haha x

 Cheryl May 7, 2012 at 1:47 am

Hey Sonja,
I got mine out on April 27th. I did my homework and stocked up on Jello, gum and broke out the humidifier. I have spent most of the past week taking my Vicodin every 4 hours, the max dose prescribed. Had my first does before I left the hospital. The medicine made me tired and I spent the first five days falling asleep to movies I started. The medicine and everything else caused me to lose my appetite. I ate about a box-2 boxes of Jello a day because it feels so good. I also bought a chin strap used for people who snore to help keep my mouth shut while I slept and always had the humidifier on. My pain never got above a 5 or 6 and that was usually about 30 mins before it was time for my next dose. It is day 10 and I started weening myself of the Vicodin and just doing Tylenol but now I am experiencing a lot of tooth pain so will probably continue the heavier stuff for another three days. The tooth pain now is just a constant pain that the Tylenol doesn’t fix. I went back and conducted a two hour meeting, chewing gum, this morning and it went well. My only complaints here on day 10 is the tooth pain and that I’m tired and weak, I’ve only been eating Jello and Pudding for a week. (Tried soft noodles twice and it felt fine while I was eating, but afterwards hurt). The procedure is very personal for everyone so I wish you a speedy recovery and don’t hesitate to talk to your doctor for more support afterwards. They want to make sure their patience recovery is as painless as possible. Lastly, Hydrate, hydrate, humidifier and hydrate more. Good luck.

 Sonja May 8, 2012 at 12:52 am

I just have to say I love the people in this blog! You are all so sweet and helpful! :) I will defiantely keep you all updated!!

 Joe May 9, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Hi Sonja ~
MY ENT just recommended a tonsillectomy as well. I am super scared also. Please let me know how it turns out for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers !


 Sharyn May 11, 2012 at 6:43 am

Hi Sonja, I’m getting mine out 5 days after you and I’m a ball of nerves too. Good luck!

 Jeff May 12, 2012 at 8:03 am

Hey everyone, My name is Jeff… I am a 41 year old male who is less than 24 hrs. post op of my tonsillectomy. The above article is spot on so far…I will say for me I was expecting way more pain than I am experiencing… I mean we are all in the same boat in that our nasty tonsils have been reaking havoc on us for me personally over the course of years. I’ve had some awful sore throats over the years and honestly for me this doesnt seem that bad…. That being said it is uncomfortable to swallow,,,Drink, drink, drink is the theme much as it may hurt I think this is the most crucial thing to do to ensure a speedy recovery. I am hungry as a horse so my appetite is normal…water,gatorade,soups and jello have been my food choices… talking is not painful for me unless I have to raise me voice….. One thing that is uncomfortable for me is that my uvula (little hangy thing in the back of your throat) is very swollen which makes your throat feel full hence you are always trying to clear it….not the end of the world but at first kinda felt like maybe I had a clot hanging back there.. freaked me out because I thought i dislodged something…sorry for being graphic just trying to be helpful. I am fortunate to be off for the next 2 weeks and will try to blog more on my situation…My best advice is if your doctor recommends a tonsillectomy by all means do it! Mine was an outpatient procedure which had me a little concerned but once I got there I quickly realized i was in good hands….having an I.V. drawn for those of you who never have is nothing more that a sharp prick that last for a second or two.. Once it’s in you forget all about it…i know a major concern for some people is going under an anastetic..I had surgery five years that required it so I was much more uptight about it then but this time knowing I’d been through it before wasn’t really a major concern to me. When they wheel you into the O.R. they begin I.V. sedation and put an oxygen mask on you and as fast as the Anesthesiologist says you are going to start feeling sleepy you are out like a light….the next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room 30 mins later.. I wasn’t nauseous at all and 45 mins. later I was walking out the door( well in a wheelchair… hospital policy lol). I was told to be there a 6:45 am…they signed me in called me back to pre op around 7:30am….wheeled me into the O.R. around 8:30 and was leaving the facility by 10am.. Hope this information is helpful and is able to put someone at ease a little……Just do It!! good luck!

 Carlie May 13, 2012 at 12:36 am

Hi :) I had mine removed April 23 and its been a long road! Like you, I made a list of things to get to help ease my recovery. I found that I could not drink water, it gagged me really bad and when you gag you panic because you become terrified you may vomit (lol) so I avoided water. In fact, I still cannot drink it! I survived on apple juice and Gatorade. I also found that sprite from a can was amazing for my throat! The carbonation sort of helped me toughen up the scabs- I do know that most people avoid anything with carbonation like the plague but it was a life saver for me! I also had stocked up on easy mac and mashed potatoes and even the fruit baby foods– I did not eat ANY of it! The only thing I was able to eat comfortably for the first week was sherbet.
Don’t be nervous! You’re gonna be just fine! :) It’s tough and I have more than one time asked myself why I have done this to myself BUT I know that its going to be worth it in the end as I’m sure it will be for you as well. :) One piece of advise that I read on here- but I did not know how important it truly was is this… Do not cry! You’re going to want to- do not give into it! It’d be the worst mistake you make because once you start you wont be able to stop yourself and its all down hill from there.

 Tina May 13, 2012 at 1:34 am

Hi Sonja! I just had my tonsils out yesterday morning..05/11/12. I was terrified. Surgery went very well and today I am eating a lot of jello and ice pops. I also had some eggs this morning. I’m a little nervous because I am thinking that I will have a speedy recovery but after reading all these blogs, it seems like the worst is yet to come…:(. I am 39 and have two children, my youngest is 13, single mom and let me tell you, I can’t help but to get up and clean, clean, clean…lol. I took two weeks off from work and I am hoping that is enough. I also talk all day on the phone too..:( The best thing that has worked for me is cold orange gateroaide and ice pops. I am also taking my meds on time. I hope everything goes well with you

 Michelle May 6, 2012 at 12:45 am

Day 12…
Wonderful day! Done my cleaning, washed the family’s clothes, been shopping – hardly any pain at all today.
For those of you that have just had surgery or for those about to, you will ALL get through it. Some quicker than others, but you will. All of you stay positive, keep thinking ahead to where I am now – it isn’t that far away!!!
I have only had 1 teeny bit of pain relief today and that was after I’d done a salt water gargle – that’s it, no other pain relief at all.
There is light at the end of that tunnel that you think will never end….it is there, just keep going – it will appear!!! ????

 Michelle May 6, 2012 at 4:10 am

Need some help please…
Has anyone else had a “hole” at the back of their throat? To the right of my uvula, there is some skin with a hole in the middle…has anyone else got this? I’m a bit concerned as I can feel the air going through it and it’s large enough for food to get stuck.
Can anyone help??
Thanks x

 SJ May 7, 2012 at 5:16 am

I think I have this, about the size of a round pin head. I noticed it cause when I gargled it felt like another air hole. I saw a small spot lastnight when I checked my throat but was a but mucousy. I’ll check again today and let you know. I imagine it will close over with the tonsil bed tissue as it continues to heal.

 Michelle May 7, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Hi SJ – the one I have is the size of a pea…I think I better go and get it checked!!

 Carlie May 13, 2012 at 12:39 am

I have that too!! I have also been worried and my recovery has been pure HELL so I have just been trying to wait until my follow up. Please let us know if that is not supposed to be there!! Mine is the size of a pea but its also long- sort of like its stretched out or something…

 Michelle May 14, 2012 at 12:16 am

Hi Carlie,

Thank goodness someone else has had the same as me!! I am glad to say that the hole is slowly getting smaller as each day passes, so I’m hoping it will close up of it’s own accord.
I’m due to see the ENT in June, so hopefully he can check it out.

 katt Flockhart May 6, 2012 at 4:47 am

Day 8 for me. I am 34. First few days were horrible. Like much have described. I write as a warning for today. You will find yourself just STARVING after a few days. Today was the first day ive been able to eat solid food. It was a soft pretzel. It was slow going but wonderful. Well a few hours later I had a couple French fries. Thinking it was ok I didn’t catch myself shoveling them in. I just wanted to eat! I started choking pretty badly. The food was just plain stuck. It would not go down. I almost passed out. So just a warning. When you are ready and able to eat…take it slow. You still need to be careful. My throat is still thick and sore and I was not ready for the blockage. All I wanted was food. Good luck all!

 Yelena May 6, 2012 at 9:50 pm

this is day 5 for me. It was first time when I woke up around 6 am almost crying from the pain in my ears and lower teeth. Previous days I was able to go easy on pain meds but not today. I am setting my alarm for every 2 hrs to take my meds (like someone earlier suggested- not 2 tsp every 4hrs but 1 tsp every 2hrs). It helps a lot.I am facing another problem now- seems like I cannot stand a thought of taking another liquid medicine that looks like cherry flavoredTylenol. Even one thought makes me feel nauseous! I am also running out of a prescription medicine. Do you think it’s OK to crush a regular OTC pain pill and take it? As for eating– this surgery did not affect my appetite. I am always hungry! Jellos, pudding, ice cream, yogurt, etc. don’t do much trick- I am at a point of hating anything sweet. I started eating solid food on my second day. Yes, that’s right – just chew, chew, chew and swallow slowly. Swallowing is going to hurt regardless of what you swallow, so I figured, what’s the difference? So far, I had mashed potatoes, a hot dog, few slices of ham, cheese, an omelet, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, home made soup, Eggos, crackers and bread. Nothing hot or spicy or in big chunks and with sharp edges. Everyone is different so you may try and see if it works for you. Now with the pain settling in my lower jaw and ears I am not sure if I will return to work tomorrow.

 Valerie May 7, 2012 at 5:30 am

Day 5 an you’re looking to go back to work? The real pain is only just beginning…days 5-9 seem to be the most unpleasant by popular vote and I can agree.

I keep hearing about all of these people getting liquid pain meds…mine were horse pills!!! I had to cut them in half and I would shove them in jello to get them down.

 Michelle May 6, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Day 13…
No pain relief at all today, although I am in a bit of pain just now, but been out and about again today and I’m talking as I usually would.
Really concerned about this “hole” that is at the back of my throat…still don’t know if it’s normal. Going to speak to the ENT department at the hospital so I can go and get checked over.
If anyone has had one of these holes, I sure would like to hear from you x

 Ziggurat May 7, 2012 at 3:16 am

Well it’s day 5 and I’m starving :) the pain has been horrible I’m so sick of every time I have to swallow I have to psyche myself up for it. Haven’t looked in my throat yet as its too swollen and can’t open up my mouth. It’s as bad as I thought and I’m trying too see the positive. Packed the dishwasher today and anyone would think I ran a marathon. I’m tired, weak, hungry and have ear pain. But I’m sure it will all be worth it……

 Ziggy May 7, 2012 at 3:17 am

The name is Ziggy damn auto correct :)

 SJ May 7, 2012 at 5:32 am

Day 11. Last time I posted I was in hospital after a big bleed. I ended up having to stay overnight and then got a tummy bug from the hospital. Score: Surgery 10 – Sarah 0. It has been a very challenging ride, but I much better now and have picked up some great tips along the way that will hopefully help others. Today at day 11 I’ve had no more bleeds, still on very soft food as a precaution not to rip a scab off too early. No meds today, pain is almost non existent. For first time I slept kind of decently and woke up with my throat still moist and not a lot of pain. My top tips are definitely get a humidifier and stay out of cold night air, drink lots of water and maybe electolytes too to keep body salts up, chew gum this is the thing that saved me! Gum helps produce more saliva and whenever my throat got really sore the past two days cause of dried scabs it took a lot of the pain away. Cucumber and coconut juice is super soothing. Set your alarm at night to tale medication and drink. Gargled with either salty water or a hydrogen peroxide mouth wash solution to keep infection free. Don’t drink or eat hot or very warm stuff, prematurely softens scabs and can increase likelihood of bleeding. If you do bleed gargled ice water and keep doing it until it stops… Go to emergency ASAP if its any more blood than just a slight streaking. I’m a red head and apparently we bleed easier… So if you’re a rehead too take precautions.

 Valerie May 7, 2012 at 6:25 am

Two weeks post-op!!! Now that the worst is over I feel I can give a good review of the surfer, pain, etc…
Day 1 came out talking, drinking, and eating jello and ice cream…felt good considering I had just had surgery.

Days 2-3 easy…I actually thought, “they say it gets worse but wow, really that’s it”
Days 4-8 very uncomfortable, unable to verbally communicate at all…lots of mucus, drool at night, and ear/jaw pain…throat never hurt more than what I felt when I had strep.
Days 9-11 on the up swing and was able to extend time between pain meds
Days 11-14 I still wake up with a sore throat (mornings were always the most uncomfortable) but I am talking (day two of sounding normal although not quite my normal voice just yet) but no pain meds

While I will say the healing process wasn’t easy, for me it was not excruciating…mind you I work in an ER where I tell my patients a 10/10 would be your arm being torn off by a train so maybe I misjudge the pain scale?? But I never took the full dose of my pain and instead only took 1 Vicodin every 4hrs because I didn’t feel the pain was so intense I needed the other…and because narcotics make me sick.

I was able to tolerate liquids the entire time, i ate soft solids every day (bread, Mac n Cheese, ice cream (which yes, does make for a lot of mucus but it does feel good although I couldn’t handle it ice cold and had to melt it a little in the microwave), jello, eggs, I even ate some boneless chicken wings on day 3 but 4-7 I stuck to the really soft stuff.

I brushed my teeth and gargled alcohol free mouth wash every day. I also gargled warm salt water after I ate anything…It seemed to help with the odor people say comes with the surgery because I haven’t (and my husband hasn’t) noticed a foul odor/breath.

My scabs have started to come off but I haven’t noticed it too much other than swallowing a particle when I wasn’t eating…kinda gross but it is what it is.

For those prepping for surgery…as everyone says: STAY hydrated!!! Not only is it best for your health but it truly makes a HUGE difference in how your pain is perceived…just get past those first few sips and I promise, your throat will feel better…it’s the dryness thy causes the pain which is why you will feel worse in the morning and if you sleep through your pain medication time.

Your uvula will be very swollen for a number of days…for me this was probably the most annoying thing ever. As others have said, you will probably want to sleep inclined for at least the first week…the drool alone is enough of a reason to sleep upright (I was more reclined one night and woke up gagging–not fun) and your neck (and everything in it) will be swollen and tender so laying in a normal sleep position probably won’t be comfortable.

Good luck to all and just remember…it’s two weeks! You can make it!

 Michelle May 7, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Day 14…
Only have pain for an hour or so now, and that’s in the morning when I first wake up. This hole is still giving me some trouble, so hopefully going to get that sorted out tomorrow.
No pain relief again today, and the only pain I feel during the day is like the pain you feel when you scratch the back of your throat with a sharp piece of food. Other than that, I have no pain whatsoever.
I still have some white patches tucked away at the very back of my throat, but I’m sure they will go soon.
Still feeling really tired too which is a bit odd, but can’t complain!

 Heather May 8, 2012 at 7:04 pm

So Michelle, have you seen a doctor yet about the hole or has it started closing on its own?

 Michelle May 9, 2012 at 12:32 am

Hi Heather, I spoke with the ENT today and I’ve got to go in for a check up…doesn’t sound too good does it!!
But, if it needs fixing, it needs fixing! How are you doing? x

 Heather May 9, 2012 at 4:53 am

Well so far yesterday was my worse day so far, I think it was day 4 if you count surgery day also. Today was okay, swallowing didn’t require preparation until I got the hiccups this evening and I now feel like my whole left side of my head (especially my ear) is trying to explode. But I did eat some luke warm ramen noodles, half a PB&J sandwich, and lots of jello. Which I find if my belly is happy it’s makes dealing with the rest a bit easier. I have also had to add more pain meds. This has been my third surgery in a three month time span so I have lots a pain meds. So at night and my mid day nap I crush a Valium into a strained yogurt. I think it helps me rest longer than the Lortab and I don’t need as much. So I’m coping a little better everyday. I was wondering how long the flap in the middle of the throat will be swollen. Although I think my ear pain is what bothers me most, I’ll widen my food variety when the swelling goes down. I am very lucky to have my mother here becuz she makes sure I’m doing what I’m supposed to and gets me whatever I need before I need it. My poor 4 year old only understands mommy is sick and can’t talk or play with her. So hopefully I can get through this soon. Sorry for rambling it’s just nice to chat and vent with people who understand. Well I will be praying your hole is nothing of great concern and that you get good news from the doctor. I hope everyone on here is healing okay! We’re one more day closer to feeling better!

 Michelle May 9, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Thanks Heather I hope all goes well too. Not long for you now, in a day or 2 you will feel much better. I’m just really really tired – exhausted infact, but I’d rather be tired than in pain!!
I hope you get better soon xxx

 Shannon May 8, 2012 at 5:09 am

Oh my goodness!!! I’m having surgery Wednesday, 9 May. I was already freaked out, but you guys are really freaking me out. The doctor told me that I will need someone to stay with me for the first 24 hours…well unfortunately Iwon’t have anyone until 48hrs. Does anyone discourage this? Should I spend $300 on a plane ticket or could I hold out until the following day, when my husband get here?

 SJ May 8, 2012 at 6:48 am

You will definitely need someone with you. The hospital won’t let you leave on your own and just incase you do have any complications its wise to have someone with you.

 Miriam May 8, 2012 at 5:21 am

I had surgery Wednesday, May 2nd. Today, may 7th is my 6th day post op(counting surgery day as day 1). Anyway, I went back to work today, and it wasn’t terrible, although I still had pain. My experience thus far: Day 1, woke up with pain and asked for morphine; the nurse said I did not need morphine-lol. Went to my mom’s home shortly after I woke up (my husband was going to take care of our 21 month old daughter for 5 days, so that I could be taken care of by my mom). I did not sleep during the day, but I definitely took the liquid codeine. Every 3 hours because the pain was a 6 out of 10. That night, it was difficult to sleep, but I slept with a vaporizer to avoid the dry throat that many people have encountered. Day 2, was pretty good for me. I ate jello, apple sauce, Popsicles, and elbow macaroni pasta with butter. I did take long to eat the pasta, though. That night, was much better than the first. Day 3, I was able to eat croquettes, and bread with butter. But later in the day, the pain became more intense. Day 4, pain wasnt too bad, but I was taking the meds every 3 hours. Day 5, I went to the mall to help my little sister buy her 8th grade prom dress. I obviously was on my meds; no, I did not drive-lol. That evening, my husband and daughter picked me up and I went home. Did not sleep too well, but I’m able to sleep laying flat on my back and on my side. Day 6, today, I returned to work. Wasn’t easy, but it was manageable. Now, is when I’m starting to feel somewhat of an ear ache; I was told this would happen. All in all, I expected A LOT worse!!! Perhaps because I expected major pain, I have taken the recovery very well? Today, I was able to see the back of my throat, which has a white coating(scabs). Not looking forward to when they fall off because I was told that will hurt. I guess time will tell…

 SJ May 8, 2012 at 6:51 am

You may want to take some extra days off work. Once the scabs dry up and start coming off is when the more severe pain will begin. Take it easy :)

 Jason May 10, 2012 at 2:28 pm

YER i KNOW I took 6 weeks of because my boyfriend wanted me to give him head soo much

 Anna May 8, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Hi I am 13. I know this is a site for adults but all the kid sites just tell you that you will have no pain at all and not to worry. But I am a bit scared. I told my mum that I had a large tonsil coz I was brushing my teeth and I saw it. All my friends have always told me that I breath really heavy and that I am really loud. I often get sore throats but I never thought any thing about it. My mum took me to the doctor a couple of years ago and the doctor said that I just had naturally large tonsils but lately now I am finding it hard to swallow and I am having to put lots of energy into breathing. When I look in the mirror my tonsil is hanging half way across my throat and my other one is sticking out. Mum booked me into the doctor again for ASAP. She gasped when she saw them. But I have never had an opperation before and can you tell me if they give young teenagers gas or of they give you a needle :( I hate needles.

 Michelle May 9, 2012 at 12:36 am

Hey Anna, sorry to hear that your tonsils are being naughty!!
I hate needles too, so you are in good company!!
They do give you needles honey, but as long as you relax and stay calm, it doesn’t hurt that much.
Good luck with your operation, I hope it goes well. I had mine out in April 25th and I’m doing really good now, just a teeny bit of a sore throat, but I’m ok.
If you need to ask anything, just reply to one of my posts and I will try and help you xxx

 Anna May 9, 2012 at 9:20 am

Thank you

 justin May 8, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I just got mine taken out yesterday may 7th. Altho i had my adenoids & uvula taken off and a turbinate redcution…i must say the worst thing is swalloing and eating due to the tonsils. The cold stuff really does help,ice chips,popsicles and lots of water. Well good luck!! Im sure youll do great!! God Bless!!

 Melissa May 8, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Hi guys. I am 19 years old and 9th day post-tonsillectomy. It really isn’t as painfully terrible as a lot of the stories here make it seem to be. As long as you do the necessary things (drink water CONSTANTLY, eat cold things, sleep, be diligent on medication), it will go smoothly. Let me review my experience by days: Days 1-3 are nothing, you hardly feel anything, and you are so drugged up that all you want to do is stare at a screen and sleep, so not difficult at all. Days 4-5 are a little tougher, you start to feel it a little more, but I was able to start eating things like bread and other more solid foods as long as they were in very small bites. Days 6-7 were my hardest. This was when the scabs started to come off for me, so as I was eating more abrasive foods, the scabs were taking the hits. This is good and bad, good because it really helps in the long run, and bad because it does hurt. Day 8 was the turn around day, where it started out almost as bad as Day 7, but by the end of the day I was off pain medication and able to talk to people with only a little discomfort. Sure, my voice isn’t all there and I wasn’t talking very loud, but communication was possible. Just woke up today on Day 9 and it’s the best I’ve felt all week. Overall, the hardest part of all of this for me was not being able to get up and be active, because 1. it kills time, and 2. when you are an active person, the LAST thing you want to do is sit at home for 8 days straight. That was probably worse than the pain overall for me. So important things: WATER, drink as often as possible, it really helps. Ice cream does wonders. Mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs, are delicious and easy to eat. I found that cut up bananas were a good choice as well. I didn’t have a chance to try this, but I was told later that chewing gum is helpful because it moves the muscles. Hopefully this helps those of you who read the millions of horror stories like I did before the surgery.

 Ray May 9, 2012 at 12:35 am

Hello! I’m 26, and I’ll have my tonsils remove on Saturday, the 26th. Just hoping for the best, and with proper medication and rest, I can recover after 10 days. That’s when my leave from work ends…

 Ben May 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Good luck with that! I had mine removed this past Tuesday, and it is hands down, the worst experience of my life. Make sure you drink cold water at all times as much as you can, even though it hurts like a b!tch. Also, screw ice cream, it’s torture to try and swallow and it makes your saliva thick which chokes you a bit, stick to popsicles, apple juice, soup, and mashed potatoes (it depends when you start feeling hungry) I am on my 5th day and my appetite hasn’t returned yet.

oh and after the 4th day, try and walk around the house a little bit, and do the small effortless chores to keep the blood circulating coz that speeds up the recovery process. At your age, it would take between 2 to 3 weeks to fully recover, but it’s definitely worth it.

 Michelle May 9, 2012 at 12:39 am

Ok, so I can now say I’m fully recovered – apart from my hole haha! Spoke with the ENT today and I have to go back in for a check up….if I’m honest, I’m a bit nervous.
Really hope you all are taking it easy and trying your best in your recovery xxx

 Heather May 12, 2012 at 7:10 am

Hello Everyone!! Michelle, have you regained your energy yet? I’m at day 8 or 7 and I had my first follow up today. He gave me good and bad news. Good news is he said scabs have started to come off a little and looking at my throat, I’m 80% healed. But the bad news is I have a severe yeast infection in my mouth. Apparently my body doesn’t like Amoxicillin. He said that’s why my uvula is still so sore and very swollen and probably why I’m still having so much pain. He said it’s a minor set back but just keep doing what I’m doing (I think he meant being a pig). I force myself to eat some solids now since he said it helps the healing process. I ate nachos late last night, it took me an hour to eat half a bowl. Tonight I ate pizza (hurt like heck). My pain is all on one side now (mostly my left ear) so that’s a lot more bearable. But when my pain sets in it is no joke. I accidentally was late on a dose this afternoon and I am still trying to recover from it. I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully my voice returns fully soon because I have my retirement ceremony to be planning for. I hope everyone is trying to stay positive and feeling better day by day!

 roseanna May 14, 2012 at 4:45 am


 roseanna May 14, 2012 at 4:53 am

Hello, I have been reading everyone’s posts. I will make a detailed one soon about my whole process but I saw that you developed a yeast infection from the amoxicillan, I did as well! I took one pill of diflucan and it was gone in about 48hours. I am on day…20 and I still have soreness. Still have some scabs and food doesn’t quite go down all the way. I was given hydrocodone, tastes like a sweeter niquil. I was experiencing a pain on one side the left side when I first started eating real food about day 9 or so and it felt like my food was getting caught in something, hurt really bad, but that has since went away, I hope for good. Drinking carbonated beverages was and still is a little weird. Oh and I cant like continuously drink liquids..I have to drink them and swallow one at a time. But I also wanted to say I have fresh breath ALL the time!! even when I wake up from sleeping all night! That is amazing! I used to get tonsil stones and man those things stink!! Anyway good luck to all!!

 Heather May 14, 2012 at 5:55 am

Thanks for the info! The doc gave me 4 diflucan and nystatin to rinse with and brush my tongue. I noticed a difference after the second Diflucan. I had to take two wait two days and then take another two all while rinsing everyday a few times a day with the Nystatin. I still only see some white on the back of my tongue. I had the same thing happen in March right after my neck fusion surgery. I guess my body isn’t a fan of antibiotics :-) I see you said your pain is on the left side, so is mine! I have the same problem drinking. I have to take one swallow at a time same with food. I have cut back on pain meds but I still have some pain especially when I eat, talk too much, or first wake up in the morning even with a humidifier right next to my head. I noticed the better breath too, I didn’t realize tonsil stones were the cause until my pre-op when the nurse was telling me she has them and how she sucks on mints all the time because she is self conscious. I am a pig so I try to eat whatever I want and if it causes pain I just stop and go to something softer. Today was our annual Mothers Day seafood boil with some friends so I attempted the lobster, potatoes, and hot links. No bueno! The spices had my throat on fire and I can still only drink super cold drinks and all they had cold was beer but it helped. They grilled me chicken since the spices were too much but what I have also found is my jaw on the left side hurts when I chew so even if I could swallow with no pain, opening my mouth and chewing takes a lot of effort and I feel the pain in my left jaw and ear every time I eat or drink. Well I hope to be pain free by day 20 considering I have another surgery coming up and a retirement speech to prepare. Hope your healing is completed soon. Thanks again!
BTW: Happy Mothers Day to all the moms and single dads here on the site. Hope you had a good day!!

 Yelena May 9, 2012 at 1:49 am

It’s my 7th day post-op. I did go to work yesterday for 4 hrs and worked today 5hrs total. Yesterday I decided not to take my pain medicine during the day. It was bearable, though still painful when swallowing. Not sure what they did to my tongue during surgery but its root is still swollen and sore; it’s hard to talk. While at the hospital, my nurse told me that I would feel week for 3 wks. She was right. My main concern is that I am always tired. I am taking naps, go to bed in time and still really tired in the morning. This is why I decided to work only half-days rest of this week. You all probably heard that our age plays against us with this surgery. This maybe very true, because some younger folks got over it easier than us, older ones. I am 47, BTW. Oh, and I cannot wait any longer for a nice, juicy, homemade cutlet (similar to meatballs) – I am making them tonight. yum!

 Heather May 9, 2012 at 6:46 pm

How did your cutlets turn out? Were you able to comfortably eat them?

 Yelena May 10, 2012 at 1:37 am

they turn out great! and were worth every single painful swallow (can I say it that way?), he-he-he ;-)

 Cbrooks May 9, 2012 at 2:33 am

I am so thankful I found this site! I had mine out on May 1. I think today was the worst pain day yet. I believe from the scabs peeling. Sleep was a challenge but I found that if I didnt sleep well at night, after I took my morning meds I could have a pretty decent nap. I find myself wanting to spit into the toilet or a cup rather than face the pain of swallowing. My whole body shudders when I do . On day 5 I saw a bit of blood in my spit. Called the doctor and he had me rinse with ice water and the bleeding stopped. I think if it had been any more than a tiny bit he would have had me come into the ER. I am still not able to talk properly. Hoping I get that back tomorrow or the day after. Definitely feeling very weak- but trying to get stronger by taking short walks and getting out of my apartment for short periods of time. Things that helped the most: Lemon sorbet, a medium cup of water that I made myself finish every hour I was awake, keeping a mental list of all the foods I’m going to eat when this is all over. Thanks to everyone who posted- I definitely needed to read others stories!

 marie May 9, 2012 at 9:08 am

I had a surgery 5 days ago (I’m 27) and it still hurts a lot. I can’t sleep nor eat anything unless baby – food… and it is hard to talk because they did something with my toung… probably they hold it during the surgery… but, I’m looking forward to next days… It should be better… I hope so…

 Amber St.Claire May 9, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Hi my name is amber and I am 23 years old. Today is May 8th and I just had a tonsillectomy yesterday morning.
I am in horrible pain!! I’ve been taking my pain meds every 4 hours as prescibed and it doesn’t seem to help. My meds don’t even take the edge off my pain. I couldn’t sleep a wink lasnight, I was up til roughly 530 am and was up by 730. This morning when I woke up I found that my feet, calves, thighs, stomach,ribs, chest, wrists, forearms,neck, shoulders and jaw, like every part of my body hurts as if I were hit by a bus, why is that??? I’ve had knee surgery twice before and wisdom teeth taken out so I’ve been under anestesia before and I’ve never had a problem with it. I’m not sure whether I should go in and see my doctor now cause the wholy body ache is starting to convern me as I’ve never felt this way before. And idk if I should ask for a different med because the one I’m taking doesn’t even ease the pain or help me sleep. Any suggestions???

 Yelena May 10, 2012 at 2:05 am

My doctor gave me a prescription for Hydrocodone. I was taking it 2 tsp every 4 hrs at first, AND in between was taking liquid Tylenol, according to directions, 2 spoons every 4 hrs. Basically, it came out that I was taking meds every 2 hrs. Make sure your OTC medicine does not contain aspirin. You could also take your medicine in a smaller dose but more often. Like in my case, I could take Hydrocodone 1 tsp every 2hrs, it still equals to 2 tsp every 4hrs. Does that make sense? As for your body ache- I do not know what to say. Call your doctor. Hope you feel better soon.

 April May 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm

No one told me I needed to gargle warm salt water, what day should I start doing that? I’m on day 3 and still can’t swallow anything. Every time I try to swallow water it comes out me nose. Ugh, this is horrible. Any advise?

 Michelle May 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Hi April, I would suggest leaving it another day or so, your throat will still be quite raw. It does massively help though – I did one and the difference was amazing. It also helped with the bad breath too. It’s still early days for you yet, but do try and eat something as it helps with the scabs at the back of your throat. I know it hurts at the moment, but unfortunately, it gets worse before it gets better. Stay hydrated, keep in top of your meds, try and eat, rest and stay positive – that’s all you can do.
I hope your recovery goes well xx

 April May 10, 2012 at 1:31 am

Thank you so much Michelle. Such great advise. :) Hopefully this will all be over soon. Thank you again

 marie May 10, 2012 at 1:20 pm

you should gargle a cold sage really helps. You can drink it too.

 April May 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm

what does the tea do? My scabs are already starting to come off at day 4, which I believe is good right?

 marie May 10, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Sage tea has a strong antibacterial effects… Well, I’m in Europe and our doctors really recommended it because of it’s great effects. You can read on Internet how to prepare it (you must be carefull with dosage). and if you will drink it it must be fresh prepared always. Of course you can put ice in to make an icetea ;)

 marie May 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm

i found it for you..just look here :) //

 April May 10, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Marie, thank you so much. This blog has been so helpful for me. I’m ready for a speedy recovery and will do anything to get there quickly. Thank you everyone for you kind words and helpful advise. :)

 marie May 11, 2012 at 4:06 pm

you’re welcome April… :) You will be better soon, you’ll see 

 Edward Myers May 9, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I had mine taken out on 5/4/2012. It turns out that I am a member of the 1% that hemorrhages after surgery. I know that my case is not typical, and very rare. It is best to have emergency people (family) near you at all times, and written history of what happened to you, if you can’t speak. I had a history folder with me, because I was choking on blood when I was rushed to emergency.

I had to get a second surgery, because three arteries opened, causing me to lose a lot of blood. I am still on a liquid diet, and taking meds as needed. I was released from the hospital after four days. I am taking it slow, and I am weak. I do not discourage others from the getting the procedure, as I know that I am a rare case. It only really happens in 1-4% of cases. I just happened to be one of them.

 Yelena May 10, 2012 at 2:07 am

so sorry to hear that. I am wishing you a speedy recovery!

 Jaime May 9, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Hi All. I am day 14 and I am still miserable! I have a lot of ear pain and a severe sore throat. I already had my post op appointment and he said I am right where I should be. I had to call the doctor today because I was finding no relief with the ear pain. They said to ride it out and that i should start feeling better. When?? Anyone have any tips?

 Madison May 9, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I just had my tonsils removed yesterday morning. I’m 19 years old and this is the first time I’ve ever had any kind of medical procedure. And despite being a pack a day smoker and of average teenage health, I’m recovering nicely. I can swallow noodles and apple sauce and can talk with little to no difficulty. The thing is though, I’m not too drugged up. I’m wide awake watching Back to the Future and sipping on flat ginger ale. I’m kind of curious. I thought recovery was supposed to be torture? Am I just lucky or is it supposed to get a million times worse?

 Yelena May 10, 2012 at 2:10 am

Madison, every one is different. You may never get worse than just “uncomfortable” stage. If that’s the case, good for you! But still, don’t push yourself, take it nice and easy, your body will let you know what it needs the most.

 Michelle May 9, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Well exactly 2 weeks after my surgery, and surprisingly I have a sore throat today…what’s that all about?
Got to go back to work tomorrow, but I really don’t want to. I’m tired all the time, I feel completely lifeless and I still have a few white patches still at the back of my throat.
No news from the ENT yet on what they plan to do about this hole at the back of my throat, but I will update when I know what’s happening and what is said.

 Heather May 10, 2012 at 5:50 am

Well I hope the hole isn’t anything serious or requires to be recut. Today my allergies kicked in and I did a lot of coughing and lots of hiccups. I swore It felt like the doc took out my tonsils but replaced them with razor blades and put a few in my ears. I am in better spirits today, still a lot of pain but I have been a jello and ramen noodle eating fool. I’m a little neevouse that this is the calm before the storm because I see everyone say when the scabs come off the pain intensifies again. But I am at day 6 so I’m almost halfway thru! I hope everyone is healing okay, we just have to remember this pain is temporary so it will all be over soon!!! To the guys, my hats off to you. This pain to me has been worse than giving birth to my two daughters. :-)

 Michelle May 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Oh no! I can imagine hiccups to be very uncomfortable!!
My worst days were between 5-8, so you are almost there! Not long to go now!!
It’s my first day back at work today – feeling a little tired, but OK.
Keep going honey, you’re almost there!!!

 Robyn May 9, 2012 at 11:42 pm

day one was easy. Day two was ok too. Day three was a little more painful. waking up after naps and in the morning hurt as my throat was dry. Day four was ok. Starting eating soups, had a cheeseburger today. small bites. Over all it’s not to bad so far.

 Jon May 10, 2012 at 2:18 am

I had my tonsils done on April 16th. I’m 37 years old and I knew I was going to take longer to heal. Let me tell you this, DON’t push it. Take it easy, stay down, and rest as much as possible. I started cleaning the house in little bits at day 10 and had a post op visit. I was told everything looked good but then 2 days later I bleed out badly. I was brought to the hospital by ambulance and released a day later. The wound clotted by itself and all was thought to be fine, but 2 days later it happened again, but this time the bleeding did not stop. One of the blood vessels that supplied blood to the tonsils opened up and the only fix was to have emergency surgery to fix it. Now I’m down and out for another three weeks. I feel I started to feel the false sense of well being and pushed myself that little bit to much and now I’m paying for it. Not to mention I have nightmares about the bleeding. I spent 5 days in the hospital after the repair do to excessive blood loss. I had to have 3 transfusions just to get my blood levels back up in the safe area. I can’t wait to be done with this terrible experience. I hope everyone else has better luck than I did and take my advice, don’t push yourself. All in all you can fully return to physical activities safely at the four week mark.

 Yelena May 10, 2012 at 2:34 am

how horrible!!! I am glad you are OK now.
Yes, I was warned by my Dr not to be involved into any physical activities, like swimming, aerobics, heavy lifting, etc. I have a desk job by the computer, so this is why I returned to work on day #6 post op.
Take care

 Yelena May 10, 2012 at 2:30 am

day #8 post-op. Surprisingly, in the morning, I wasn’t hurt at all. No earache, no toothache, no painful swallowing. I am completely off my pain meds, just still finishing my 10-day antibiotics course. I worked 4 hrs today (that was the agreement with my boss, half days this week). Can’t talk for long periods of time, so I am trying not to answer office phones ;-) My tongue is still kinda sore and getting in my way but it is definitely getting better. Got my afternoon nap, as I am still feeling tired. I also noticed that by 6 pm a slight earache and a pain in my lower teeth returned. Is it because of me trying to talk and exercise my tongue muscles? Possibly. As for my throat. Scabs are getting smaller, more of red is seen in the back. When I eat or swallow, I am not wincing anymore but I feel like I am having just a regular sore throat- which is bearable. I am hoping that worse is behind me already. I am slowly returning to my regular diet. Had mashed potatoes with cutlets and coleslaw today (yes, again). Tried tomato earlier and it feels a little too acidic, still. So, a big “NO” for those.

 Shelbey May 10, 2012 at 5:03 am

Hey guys, I’m Shelbey, I’m 19 and I live in Australia :) I had my tonsils and adenoids out on Tuesday the 8th of may. So I’m now into day two of recovery. I must admit that I wasn’t at all prepared for the operation or anything. I was mainly scared about the general anesthia and waking up….

I woke up out of the operation completely distraught and confused, after coughing up what seemed at the time a lot of blood and having an asthma attack they sedated me till I was moved to recovery. The pain I was in was unbelievable. But I’m coming to see that its just the luck of the draw!

I have only been able to have soft foods (jelly, ice cream, ice chips and yogo etc) and my stomach is unbelievably hungry! The pain has been manageable with liquid paracetamol, and then it just feels like bad tonsillitis with a saw jaw, ear aches and severe difficulty swallowing. I am almost unable to talk, I would describe it as a deaf person talking I guess ( no offence intended).

The most uncomfortable thing I think is looking at your throat. It is definelty not a pretty picture, but I am sure it will recover in the days to follow! All I can hold onto is how much easier it is for me to breathe, and how I won’t get tonsillitis ever again. Good luck to all of the others who are about to get theirs done, judging by the other comments, it can only get better!!!

 Jessie May 10, 2012 at 7:14 am

Hi guys.

I’m Jessie and i’m 23 years old… I have not had my tonsils out but am going through my 8th bout of Tonsillitis this year and considering surgery.

If I’m honest.. the prospect terrifies me. I’ve had multiple surgeries over the years and I am one of those whimps who is very bad with anaethetic (and ends up being in hospital for days) so the thought of another surgery is horrible… But the worst seems to be what you read and hear from everybody!

As a child I had very large adenoids/tonsils/glands but never had them removed .. and I’m seriously peeved at my mother for that fact now, lol.

A uni friend had hers out last week.. and honestly it sounds like the worst thing in the World.

I guess I’m here to ask you guys whether you thought it was worth it?? I really hate the tonsillitis. I hate having
time off work/studies and worry about the effect all these antibiotics have on my body.. but I’m such a wuss I’m not sure if I can face it.

If you could go back in time and tell yourself pre-op yes or no.. what would you do?

Thank you for your time and I hope you’re all recovering well.

 Michelle May 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Hi Jessie

It sounds like you were exactly like me – I had suffered with septic tonsillitis for almost 12 years, and at the beginning of this year, I had completely had enough.
Like you, I had to take time off work, I missed loads of time with my family due to feeling so horribly ill when I had it and each time it happened, it always seemed worse than the time before.
So, on April 25th 2012, I had a tonsillectomy, and I am now on my first day back at work.
I have blogged every day so people understood how I felt – have a read through previous pages, I updated every day, so you can see how I felt pre-op, post-op and throughout my recovery.
There are a lot of horror stories, but there are also some positive ones, and although I was in a fair bit of pain during my recovery, it was relatively pleasant as I seemed to sail through it compared to some.
Do I regret it? Not at all.
Glad I got it done? Absolutely – if it stops the awful experiences I’ve had in the past, then I’m happy.
Making the decision is all about personal choice, but if you are suffering – and it seems you are, very much so infact – it may be worth some serious consideration.
Every person is different, so you may sail through it, it might be absolutely awful….but short term pain, long term gain is what kept me going.
If I can answer any questions, please do not hesitate to ask – I was answer you as honestly as I can and I hope you can decide what you want to do.

 Jessie May 11, 2012 at 7:39 am

Hi Michelle,

Thanks very much for your comment and congrats on being back at work!

I’ve decided I’m going to go for it… Even my friend who suffered so badly said she would do it again if it meant a tonsillitis free life.

I’m off uni for 4 months summer break now… So I guess now is the time to do it. Got an appointment to see my GP to get the ball rolling this morning. Eek!!

I’ll continue to read this blog during my wait and wish everyone speedy recoveries!

 Amelia May 10, 2012 at 7:56 am

Hey everyone!

I am a 19 year old college student at the uofa
I just recently had my surgery on 5/2/12 (still recoverying waiting for my scabs to fall off)
honestly isn’t as bad as all of the
Horror stories I read about online the pain is manageable through medication
I had my surgery at 9 in the morning I was very tired and sore after my operation
I had to return to work and school the next day i could not put a break into my schedule
As finals and graduation is this week so I had to just suck it up and deal with it the one thing I do find
Painful is I get constant heartburn since the day after the surgery it’s extremely odd but I’ve had it every night
And the ear pain is uncomfortable but everyone who is scared it is not that bad and I did have bleeding the 3 night I had bleeding I woke up choking on blood but I drank ice water and stopped it. Your breath is going to smell horrible not matter what you do clean your tounge brush brush or mouth wash gum it smells!
Good luck to everyone hope you have a good and easy experience/recovery like I did.

 anonymous May 10, 2012 at 10:38 am

A bit worried I have my surgery on the 29th of may, I live by myself tho day 1-3 I will be spending at my friends place, all these things I’m reading is just freaking me out, could I get some suggestions on what food to eat in the first couple of days until I can start eating whole foods again, is yoghurt good? And I heard from my doctor that you should eat toast for a faster recovery why is this? And is it true?

 Jason May 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I had surgery on the 3rd of may 2012 and im in so much pain i have not been able to eat anything and have had to be on a drip to keep my fluids up, I did eat toast the first day but made my stiches come out and statred bleeding really bad so I had to stay overnight at the hospital dont eat toast id recommed jelly and icecream, yoghurt, milk, and cottage chesse would be best as they are easy to swollow and are soft, dont eat oranges or citrus it burns soo bad on your throat, I also have a throbbing right ear the pain is so bad as I have now got an ear infection, hope this helps

 Jason May 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm

well I had it that bad the night i stayed in hosptial I could not even get up to go to the toilet so and had to go for a shit in this container they gave me it was soo gross as my shit had blood all throught it from when my tonsills were bleeding and I had to show the nurse and she had to sort through it to see if it was clotted blood, it was foul, luckliy it was all ok, its so not good when your stiches break as this is what happens,

 Ben May 19, 2012 at 4:37 pm

why the hell did you eat toast on the first effin’ day??? :/ it’s common sense man, if it hurts to even swallow your own saliva, toaste is out of question. I am on my 5th day and I wouldn’t dare eat anything, I don’t wanna deal with complications.

 n April 13, 2013 at 10:46 pm

It depends on where you live. In the UK they won’t let you leave until you’ve eaten toast. They think that it helps with healing. Speaking for myself It was no trouble eating toast, just chew it well and drink water.

I am on day four so far and coping well. Take the drugs, drink water, don’t overdo it.

Good luck to all.

 Heather May 11, 2012 at 1:12 am

Well I had mine removed on 4 May. My doc didn’t recommend eating toast nor tell me not to eat dairy. He did tell me to start eating soft foods after a couple of days to help the healing process. The first few days all I ate was ice chips, applesauce, and yogurt. I found yougart the most filling. I have just discovered that icy apple juice is very tasty and soothing.. Today I was starving and I was missing McDonalds fries so I ate a half a happy meal. I am surprisingly not in too much pain, at least not yet. I would recommend looking at this site daily to help remind you that it’s all temporary and also see if people may be experiencing the same things you are to help give you ways to deal with it. Normally most posts are pretty positive. I hope you a safe surgery and a speedy recovery.

 stevie May 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Ok Jason first of all i have a feeling your making some or all of this up!!!! This is a page for people who are going or had surgery not a joke website, noway are you meant to eat anything dairy or offer sexual favours! im quite disturbed and disgusted by your comment my partner had a great surgery and couldnt talk properly for 6 days has been in pain but helped by the medications he is now on day 9 and feeling back to his normal self back at work and dancing around silly with the kids hopefully everyone heals well and soon :)

 Naomi May 10, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I’m 27 and going in on May 22nd to get rid of my massive tonsils and I just wanna say thanks to everyone on here. I’m so glad I know what’s coming. Thanks again x

 Jennifer May 10, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Hi Im 28 just got my tonsils out last Friday May 4th 2012 so I’m on day 6. All I can say is the pain is much worse than I ever expected. I ended up in the e r on Monday because I could not hold any fluids down, pretty sure this was due to to pain meds and not able to eat anything solid. Also the moment I eat dairy I’m throwing up and believe me it hurts to swallow but anything coming back up is hell! I have been on water and ice chips. Every now and then I try to drink some juice but seems ice ice cold water feels the best. Other than the couple Popsicles, apple sauce, jello and the 2 tablespoons of mashed potatoes I got down last night, thats been all I can swallow! today I did manage to eat a bowel of mashed potatoes and it is still very painful but I’m not nauseas now and just forcing it down even though it is very painful. The best tip I have is to sit proped up if you can or in a recliner chair when you sleep. Ice packs are the best thing in the world! I planned on going back to work tomorrow and I have no idea what I was thinking so I took another week. My Dr. Did tell me two weeks and now I know why! Also take your meds every four hours even if you don’t think you need them! Even when I’m sleeping I set an alarm but Usually I wake up right at the 4 hour mark because I’m in so much pain. I’ve never been so miserable in my life and in so much pain. So far day 4 and 5 (last night) was the worst pain ever. Feel free to ask me any questions and good luck!

 Yelena May 12, 2012 at 8:24 am

Jennifer did you tell your doctor about throwing up??? Because I can’t take anesthesia well, I was given a patch behind my ear BEFORE the surgery. It helped me a great deal. Also, my Dr prescribed some suppositories just in case if I feel nauseated. Luckily, I did not feel sick at all and did not use them. Guys, You should call your doctor immediately, if you are throwing up!!!

 Kelli May 10, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I am on day 7 and this was the worst pain i have ever been in. Up until day 5, i couldn’t talk. I wrote things on a dry erase board that I carried around. I have been nauseus for about a week which isn’t normal and have been vomiting over my scabs (soooo painful). So prewarning, ask your doctor for nausea medication for afterwards just incase. I’ve only been able to drink and eat very soft foods. And deffinately drink plenty of water, no matter how much it hurts. I had to make a run to the hospital for dehydration. I went for my check up today and the doctor said my scabs are starting to fall off. here comes the pain! good luck to anyone who is looking to get this surgery. im hoping its better in the long run!

 Charlene y May 11, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Hi I’m 29 and had mine out on 26 th April and yes it is the worst ever but it does get better as long as u look after yourself well I found that sipping warm sweet tea was a god send on about day 6 and gargle with warm salt water it’s horrid but works wonders twice daily and also brush teeth twice a day a clean mouth is a healthy mouth and will aid your recovery . I have been living on toast and super noodles haha and the last two nights have managed a proper evening meal pain free yay and thoroughly enjoyed it . Ice lollies r great as well xx

 Christina May 11, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I just want to give my story so if someone reads it will not be terrified as i was. So for 5 months i have had 6 positive strep tests. no matter what antibiotic i was on it would come back with a vengeance. i tried to do some research before hand and that is when the panic set in. i went in for my tonsillectomy and adenoids removed on 5/10/12. the doc said i had innie tonsils and the infection went all the way down throat. so this is my day 2 and all i have to say is it is not as bad as i thought it would be. i manage the pain with my meds usually every 4 hours but if it is bad i get half a dose in at the 2 hour mark. ice chips help with the swelling. drinking as much water as i can and have a humidifier next to my bed. i requested nausea meds so i was given one of those patches behind the ear. so far so good. i use a ice pack on my neck and jaw, mostly as preventative maintenance. i wish i could post a pic so people could see the difference and what to expect. i am still a bit nervous about day 5 when the scab decides to come out, but i think with keeping the throat hydrated and meds all should be okay (this is my hope anyway). well my meds just kicked in so if anyone has questions please feel free to ask.

 Deana May 12, 2012 at 3:21 am

Hi my name is Deana.. I am 4 days post op from
Having my tonsillectomy. Days 1 and 2 I was in severe pain. My ears were killing me as well as having a crupy cough. The 3rd day I was slightly feeling better and able to have ice pops and drink water easier even though it was still very painful. Today (day 4) I felt so great today still
Sore but I was able to get out a little bit. It still hurts to talk but my voice is almost back too. I know I’m still in the woods but do you think I’ll experience more severe pain in the next few days???

 marie May 12, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I removed mine at may 4th,and today is 8 days after surgery.
My worst day was 5,6,7 :( i couldn’t sleep at is a little bit
Better,so,yes,you can expect more severe pain. :(

 Abby May 12, 2012 at 3:22 am

Im 18 and a few days into recovery. I got them out on Tuesday and I feel as though the pain has only gotten worse. I got very sick from the pain medicine prescribed so now I’m back to
Children’s tylenol which definitely doesn’t do the same. Vomiting with this surgery is definitely not pleasant so I’m happy to have changed medicines but I just wish I would work as well. I know I’m
Only a few days into recovery, but I’m giving up hope. I would have never expected this much pain from such a simple procedure. Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

 Deana May 12, 2012 at 3:42 am

Drinks lots of Cold water it numbs your throat and helps with pain. Ice pops are my favorite that also numbs your throat and helps with the pain!!

 Deana May 12, 2012 at 3:43 am

The more you use the muscles in your throat the closer to recovey. I know it’s hard but it’s really true.

 Christina May 12, 2012 at 6:31 am

oh also i forgot to mention if anyone has a smartphone i downloaded an app that goes off every 4 hours. any timer and medicine reminder. so no need to keep resetting your alarm. definitely helping me out.

 Heather May 12, 2012 at 6:39 am

Christina, what app is it?

 Christina May 12, 2012 at 1:50 pm

One of them is called anytimer. this one goes off until you deactivate it. the other one is called medicine reminder. goes off once . my fav is the AnyTimer. i have a droid but if you have something different all i did to find it was type in medicine reminder and those came up.

 Heather May 14, 2012 at 5:57 am



 Yelena May 12, 2012 at 8:36 am

it’s day #10 for me. I was feeling great all day yesterday until maybe 6 pm when my throat started hurting again. Not sure, if it is from so much talking at work or scabs coming off but it wasn’t the same pain as when swallowing. It’s more like when you have a strep throat, and just raw. Oh, and sneezing hurts bad!!! Overall, it’s bearable, no ear pain, no pain in my jaw or my tongue anymore. I am not taking any pain medicine since Monday. Almost back to my normal food. Tried an orange today. Stings a little, but it was so delicious! I am hoping to be “normal” in a couple of days. I think worse is already behind. Don’t get discouraged! You can make it, just take it easy.

 Kate May 12, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I had my tonsils out 10/5/12 so 48 hours ago, im in the UK and we are encouraged to eat toast and anything rough! In the last 24 hours ive eaten 3 slices toast some mcdonalds nuggets an ice lolly and some ice cream yes it hurts but they say eating rough helps break down all the rubbish at back of throat but im on co codamol every 4 hours and an anti inflammatry/painkiller every 8 hours constant water drinking also! Really Sore but not as bad as i thought just hope it gets no worse fingers crossed!

 Tina May 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Hello everyone! I”m so glad I found this page. I just had my tonsils removed yesterday morning. So much pain but was able to eat applesauce and mashed potatoes the same day. Slushies really help too. I took two weeks off from work so I hope that will be sufficient enough being I have to talk on the phone constantly at work. I’m not in too much pain right now but have been reading that it gets worse. Is this true? Now I’m worried. Today is day two so we will see how it goes

 Fiona May 12, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Im a 23yr old female & had my tonsils & adenoids removed 5 days ago. Day 1 & 2 after surgery were no where near as bad as I had expected. I could drink, eat soft foods and even talk a little! Although my tounge has been swallow from surgery not able to open my mouth very far. Day 3-4… Yeah not so bad either, so I presumed I was on a speedy road to recover. Day 5- FORGET IT! I am having horrible horrible ear and jaw pains my tounge is sore, the pain spreads through your head like you have a horrible migraine and the pain medication is making me horribly nautious…. I feel for anyone who has or is going to have this operation :(

 Carlie May 13, 2012 at 1:00 am

Hi all! :) I had surgery on April 23 which means I am day 20. I go for my post-op appointment on the 16th so I have not seen my doctor yet- though I was released to go back to work on Monday this week. I have been in constant pain the entire time. My voice is not loud enough to be audible at times- and I have horrible coughing attacks at least 5 times an hour. I am, however, able to eat anything I want. I have a hole in the back of my throat that I can feel air go in and out of. I have no idea what it is or if it is bad that I have it. I still feel the scabs rubbing on my ‘gag reflex’ and it makes me vomit occasionally. My energy is WAY low and I still have really bad ear pain and headaches daily. Is any or all of this normal for as far past surgery as I am?! I’m miserable. :(

 Tina May 13, 2012 at 1:26 am

Sorry to hear that Carlie. I work as a collections specialist and am always on the phone non stop. I hope I will be ok when I go back to work..:(

 Tina May 13, 2012 at 1:25 am

Hello again all! Still on day 2 and today was a good day. Ate a lot of pudding and also some eggs. I even had some chicken and rice. Well that was a bad idea cause now my throat feels a little more sore than it was. my left ear is starting to hurt too. I just assumed I was lucky and was going to recover fast. Not! I’m back in the bed and about to take my tylenol with coedine…:(

 stephanie May 13, 2012 at 2:37 am

Everything that was described in this articled fitted me like a T. A day or 2 after surgery I was like “huh, this isnt so bad. Like a bad sore throat.” I had no trouble drinking fluids at all. I felt like shit 4-6 pain everywhere, ear jaw etc. If you don’t have a neck pillow,GET IT! Gave me sooo much comfort, bc I tell you I hardly slept and when i did I had to sleep sitting up to avoid putting pressure on my swollen neck. I am day 12, still need pain pills but i’m slowly starting to eat again.

« OLDER ENTRIES                                                                    NEWER ENTRIES »

Leave a Reply