• Post Category:Blog

crying-manThere is a vast difference between having a tonsillectomy as a child and as an adult. Firstly, the older you are, the longer it takes the body to heal. Secondly, a child’s tonsils are much smaller than an adult’s and require much less skin to be removed. The larger adult tonsils tend to cause more trauma and pain. However, doctors do not completely understand why an adult experiences more subjective pain than a child. If you are about to have a tonsillectomy or have recently had your tonsils removed, you should expect moderate to severe discomfort and pain for at least two weeks, sometimes longer.

Immediately after the tonsillectomy operation you should not feel too much pain as you will still have the anaesthetic in your system. The pain usually starts to become very uncomfortable when you wake up the following day. Your recovery experience will depend a lot on how you plan for and manage the next two weeks. You should expect to have a mild to severely sore throat in the first two weeks. The throat pain will peak around days 7-11 when the scabs from the wound begin to fall off. You should also expect to lose some weight and feel hungry as you will not be able to follow your normal diet. Loss of taste, sore tongue, bad breath and jaw pain are also commonly reported after a tonsillectomy. Some people also experience mild to severe nausea after the operation due to the anaesthetic.

Your first challenge will be eating and drinking. The most important advice that anyone can give you about recovering from a tonsillectomy is to drink water. Unfortunately drinking water is extremely painful, especially when the throat is dry .e.g. when you first wake up. However, if you do not drink water, the throat becomes even drier and it is even more painful to drink water. You should keep a bottle of water close to you and sip it as often as you can.

Eating food is also very difficult. The most common food in the first few weeks is ice chips or ice lollies as they both hydrate your throat and numb it at the same time which is very soothing. Rough foods which scrape your throat are painful, yet some doctors recommend rough food as they say it will clean the wound and speed up your recovery. I strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor about your tonsillectomy recovery and find out what foods he or she recommends. Most people in the USA are told to eat soft foods for the first week or so until after the scabs have fallen off and then slowly progress to rougher foods. Popular soft foods are pasta, baby food, jell-o, soup, scrambled egg. Do not eat very acidic or spicy foods or sauces as these will cause pain e.g. tomato based sauces or anything with chillies in it.

You will notice that you develop a heavy grey/yellow/white membrane where the tonsils were removed. This is the scab that is protecting the area where you tonsils were removed. It will slowly go away as you heal. The greatest risk you face is hemorrhaging of the wound. This occurs when the wound opens up and begins to bleed. If it is a very small amount it is usually not a big concern, however if it is more, you need to get urgent medical attention. In all cases, you should contact your doctor immediately or get to the nearest emergency hospital. You should not worry too much about the likelihood of serious hemorrhaging during your tonsillectomy recovery period as less than 4% of people will actually experience it.



Another area to focus on is your sleeping environment. You should plan to make this area as comfortable as possible as this is where you will be spending much of your recovery time. I strongly recommend buying or borrowing a humidifier as it can significantly aid in your tonsillectomy recovery. A humidifier will increase the humidity in air that you breathe and therefore aid in keeping your throat moist. Your sleeping cycle will almost certainly be affected by the medication you take and the pain you experience.Depending on the medication you are prescribed and the schedule for taking it, you may find yourself waking up when the medication begins to wear off and the pain increases.

Most people find themselves sleeping for between four and six hours at a time. It is generally a good idea to set an alarm to take your medication if you may be sleeping as this will also give you some time to drink some water.

Medication is critical during your tonsillectomy recovery. You can expect to be prescribed both a pain killer and anti-biotic. The anti-biotic is used to prevent or control any infection arising from the wound. The pain killers are obviously prescribed to help you manage the pain. You may be prescribed an opioid based pain killer which is very effective. Talk to your doctor and ask him exactly how often you should take your medication and the maximum you can take when the pain is severe.

Remember that after the scabs fall off around days 7-11, your recovery will be rapid. Don’t forget to drink water often and follow your medication schedule. If you have not yet had your tonsillectomy and are planning for it, go out now and buy yourself some of your favourite magazines, books etc. Even although the recovery period is quite short, it feels longer than it is and the more things you have to distract yourself with the better!


« OLDER ENTRIES                                                               NEWER ENTRIES »

 Amanda April 21, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I had my tinsils out on Monday the 16th. It is now Saturday and I have had a lot of pain. I have found that about 20-45 minutes after taking the medication I was prescribed is the best time for me to eat and drink. I have not had any luck with anything extreemly cold such as ice cream or popsicles as I feel it hurts my throat even more. Room tempurature water is best for me. I have also had luck with lightly toasted toast and butter, its not scratchy if it is toasted very lightly, buttered and you chew it till it’s very soft. I am struggling to drink a lot of water because of the pain, but I know it is important. I wish I had thought of a humidifier for my bedroom because I wake up in the middle of the night with excruciating pain from dryness (plus it had been very warm this week so the windows have been open and a fan going).

 Valerie April 22, 2012 at 8:51 pm


I am 26yo due to have tonsils out on Tues :( I’m scared beyond scared…I am more nervous about this than I was my c-section when I had my daughter. Can anyone compare the two experiences? Someone please tell me the tonsils are easier.

Will I be able to use a straw? What about brushing teeth? I have two little babies…how long do you think I will need my husband home to take care of them? Is there any chance of my tonsils atrophying before Tuesday!? :) wouldn’t that be nice!

 Tonia April 24, 2012 at 5:54 am


Do you want me to be honest or do you want me to lie? Well I’m going to be honest. This was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I didn’t eat for the first 4 days and was too weak to even shower I was able to brush my teeth but that was painful because my jaw and ears hurt so badly. It gets the worst between the 5th-7th day. But trust me, once you get passed those days, it gets remarkably better very quickly. I’m also 26 and had to have my mother in law care for me and my two children for the first 6 days. I was too weak to get up and and in too much pain when I wasn’t. I would have him stay as long as possible. I’m not trying to scare you but I just went through this on April 12th and I returned to work today. So trust me, it will get better and I wish you the best of luck

 Mary April 26, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Hi Valerie-

Don’t let everyone scare you too badly. I just had mine out on the 9th, and it really wasn’t that bad. Not as bad as my c-section (but honestly, my c-section was pretty darn easy, too). The best thing to do is make sure you’re PREPARED, and to FORCE yourself to eat and drink in the early days before the scabs set in. If you wait, and don’t eat/drink in the beginning, then the scabs will be thicker and much more painful. Here are some tips:

– You should make sure you have a humidifier. I put one in our spare bedroom, and kept myself sequestered in that room for the first 2 days. It was so humid in there it was practially raining – lol. Also, sleeping inclined on 3 pillows helped me a lot.
– Most importantly (again), make sure you are drinking CONSTANTLY and eating at least once a day. I ate a lot of mac and cheese, and toast with butter (very lightly toasted so it was soft), and well-chewed crackers, and also soft things like applesauce. If you don’t eat, you will get weak and feel worse.
– Set your alarm to go off when your pain medicine is due. DO NOT sleep through it – you’ll regret it. While you’re awake to take pain meds, drink again.
– Avoid dairy products. Some people say to eat ice cream or pudding, but they’re horrible for recovery. They cause a lot of mucus and can irritate your throat. Don’t know where you live, but we have something called “Rita’s Water Ice” around here that was AMAZING. It’s essentially like a slushy, but yummier.
– I made sure to wake up every day and get a shower, brush my teeth, gargle with mouthwash( make sure it has no alcohol!), get dressed and do my hair. It put me in a better mood, so I wasn’t lying around gross all day on the couch.

I was able to take care of my daughter after Day 2, but she’s 5 and a little more independent. Babies I would say you will need help for a week. I was mostly healed and eating/sleeping normally after a week. I was also off my medication after 5 days. I did take the full 2 weeks off of work, but could have gone back after a week if I had to.

Good luck! I think as long as you’re prepared and know what to expect, and really work at your recovery, you’ll do fine.

 Gregg April 22, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I’m 41 yrs old and had my tonsils removed on April 17th and it has been alot easier than I thought it would be. Don’t get me wrong there has been pain and plenty of discomfort, but follow your doctor’s orders and the post-operative instructions and you will be fine. My wife started me out with 10 ml of Loratab as prescribed by the doctor, when the pain got worse I realized it said to take 10-20ml every 4 hrs so I upped the dosage to around 15 and it helped.

Have small ice on hand (the kind like Sonic uses) to suck on which will cool your throat and work on your throat muscles. Yes, Valerie I would recommend using a straw (esp in the beginning) to control the amount of liquid you take in. Your throat is swollen, so too much liquid at one time can cause it to come up through your nose. SWALLOW, SWALLOW, SWALLOW is the best advice…you have to retrain your throat muscles. Chewing gum can also help working your jaw muscles and helping you swallow.

It is now Sunday the 22nd and this is the best I’ve felt since the surgery…I have transitioned off the Loratab (for now) and I am taking only Advil for the discomfort. Scrambled eggs are good, milk shakes, smoothies, and yogurt…just remember in the beginning it will take a lot longer to swallow. I believe the more you work your throat muscles…the quicker your swelling will go down and quicker the pain will decrease.

 ziggy April 23, 2012 at 3:45 am

Hi all,

just found out i have to have my tonsils removed in a week. I’m 35 and i’m a bit over hearing from everybody around me how painful it is going to be. I’m in Australia and would like any ideas on best pain medication and how to cope. I’ve taken 3 weeks off work as my surgeon told me after week 2 you may start to feel a bit normal again. I have no pain threshold at all. I think i really need to stop googling things and just take it as it comes :)

 Amanda April 25, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Hi Ziggy, I’m in Australia also and same age as well. I just had my tonsils out yesterday so am at the end of day one. I have been prescribed panadol, 2 tablets 4 times per day and Oxycodone. And an anti-inflammatory. Pain is manageable so far with the meds but main issue is the swelling and ear and jaw pain. It’s getting really hard to swallow at all.Lemonade icy poles and ice blocks are really helping. All the doctors and nurses said it gets worse Day 3 or 4 – which seems to be confirmed by most people on this blog, so I’m kind of dreading that. Other than that will just have to see how it goes.. Overall I would say it’s not as bad as I expected – so far anyway..

 ellie April 26, 2012 at 6:02 am

Hi Ziggy,
I had my tonsillectomy as well as nasal cauterization on the 12th of this month, so a fortnight ago (I’m also in Australia, but am 23).
For the first 2 days, these were the easiest for me, I found that days 3-4 were painful, but then got worse from days 6-8, especially during this time as I developed an infection on the operation site, as well as the “lovely” ear and jaw pain you’re sure to hear about (which is apparently when the scabs begin to come off). For pain, I was given Panadol and Oxycodone. When the infection developed, my antibiotics were changed to a stronger doseage and that has settled down.
The most helpful advice I can give is to make sure you stay on top of your pain medication, taking it exactly when prescribed, and stay hydrated! The more water you drink, the better for you and your recovery.
At day 14 now, I am feeling almost back to normal, apart from some pain still when swallowing, coughing, yawning and sneezing.
All the best for your recovery!

 ziggy May 1, 2012 at 7:01 am

Thanks Ellie, heading in tomorrow to get it done, trying to get thing wrapped up at work but obviously head isn’t here. I think i’ve decided just to take it as it comes and not prepare for anything. I’m hoping i’ll be one of the lucky ones who breeze through it :) glad you are feeling better after yours and hope it has made all the difference in the world :)

 brit April 23, 2012 at 3:56 am

I had my tonsils out on April 18, Day 5 of recovery. This is the worst pain I have ever had. I hate myself right now. Had I had done research, I never would have have this done. Day 3 its gets really bad. I have also been out of meds since then, battling this on my own. I have done nothing but lay in bed and cry. My entire head hurts – temples, ears, throat. I have to “get ready” to swallow. I am barely audible. Supposed to go back to work tomorrow – not happening. My mouth smells and tastes like an animal died back there. I cant even see because I have lock jaw and mt tounge is soo swollen. I have lost 6 pounds – Im starving. I ordered a steak today, just to smell I guess!

My hope for others is to have someone care for them throughout their recovery and have plently of meds. Good luck!

 deb April 29, 2012 at 11:56 am

brit- I cannot imagine why you are out of pain meds???? I had to stop my pain meds on day three because i was having some kind of allergic reaction to them, but within 18 hours i had different ones ( long story…this happened over Easter weekend)…. I lived for those pain meds despite even the new ones made me feel sick to my stomach. I realize that this comment is now six days old, but if you haven’t got any yet …. get them! I needed mine just to swallow water and took them for two weeks. I am about 23 days past surgery and still have a bit of discomfort swallowing and a bit of stinging with certain foods but my major irritation is the fact that my taste buds seem affected.

 Kelly April 23, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Hi everyone! I am 33 years old and had my surgery on Wed the 18th. I’ve been told over and over again that the pain is excrutiating as an an adult. To my pleasant surprise, the pain hasn’t been that bad. The worst thing for me is the feeling of thick phlem in the back of my throat that I am constantly spitting out. It’s uncomfortable and is affecting my speech a bit. My doctor said that today should be the worst of my days when experienceing pain. I stopped taking the loratab on saturday because it was making me ill to my stomach. Now I am just on regular tylenol and yes there is pain, but it manageable. I’m just wondering if the unbearable pain will come later. Now I’m just dealing with horrible breath. Any advice on how to get rid of that. I’m almost embarassed to talk to anyone because of it.

 Michelle April 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Wow is all I have to say about it. I’m 43 and am going to have to get my tonsiles out too soon. My doctor told me that all the horror stories I’ve been told are all true. No sugar coating it at all! I’m not thrilledl and I really hope the recovery goes alot better than I hear on here. So I want to get everything straight on what I will need to do: I need to have plenty of pain killers and a humidifyer and drink plenty of water and suck on ice. Also need to use an ice pack for my neck and ears, and sit semi up in bed. Maybe toast with lots of butter to soften it. And to have a caregiver for at least 10 days since I have two children wont be able to care for them since I wont be able to even care for myself. Is all that about right, am I missing anything? I want to make sure I have everything I need before I get home, and am prepared. I feel for everyone on here who has had surgery and those who have it soon. I wish they had a miracle drug to make the pain go away as soon as surgery was over. Praying for that before my surgery happens.

 deb April 29, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I think you sound pretty prepared….. cook some meals ahead of time and freeze them. I was so glad i did this. Here is some advice that may or may not have been given prior…… I really wasn’t thinking when i bought foods for myself. – duh! Forget about trying to eat anything with salt in it, such as, chicken broth …like the saying goes ” rubbing salt in a wound”…. you will be amazed, I think, of some of the foods that you don’t think as salty now as being salty later. Also, avoid citric acid…another obvious ingredient called “acid” which is in alot of things like yogart and sherbert and popcicles. My favorite popcicle was Edy’s sugarfree… I don’t normally eat sugarfree because of the artificial sweeteners (these have splenda) but these popcicles were the absolute best……they did not sting and instead of breaking off in chunks that my sore tongue had to try to manage, they just slowly melted like a smoothie. I lived on breakfast cereal that i would actually let get a bit soggy in milk (a formerly disgusting idea) …. and I found rice chex to be the least salty and easiest to eat….. but since they are squares, with sharp corners, you may want to break them up or just make sure they are not hard when eating them. I am so sorry i didn’t have a humidifier, but i slept with a wet washcloth over/near my mouth ….. that helped, too

 Michelle April 24, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Well…..operation day tomorrow.
Feeling a bit nervous, just glad that the day has finally arrived.
Bit awash with feelings right now…bit anxious, bit reluctant – but all in all, relatively calm considering all the horror stories people have talked about on here.
I will try and keep posting as and when I feel up to it….wish me luck everybody!!!

 Margaret April 25, 2012 at 12:48 am

Hi everyone. I am 48 years old and had my tonsils removed yesterday. I have been trying really hard to stay hydrated, keeping a bottle of water near me at all times, sipping on broth and eating popsicles. However, since mid-day yesterday I have been feeling extremely nauseous. I can’t keep the fluids down and worry that I will re-open my wound from all the vomiting. Currently, I am not on my pain meds because I feel sick but I am taking my antibiotics. Any advice? Anyone else experience this?

 Rachel April 25, 2012 at 6:45 am

Sorry you’re having such a hard time. I had my tonsils removed about 5 years ago and had excruciating pain for almost three weeks. I also had the same problem with vomiting for the first few days. Have someone call your doctor. He or she can give you a suppository to stop the nausea and vomiting. Worked well for me so I could take my pain meds. Hope you feel better soon!

 Libdsay April 25, 2012 at 7:11 am

I had my tosillectomy this past Friday, so I am going on day 5 of recovery. I have to say that the recovery has not been as hard as I had thought it would be. I am a 30 yr old female with sleep apnea and chronic sore throats. I am taking hydrocodone for the pain, and it is doing a great job. I do need to take it every 4 hours, and do sleep withhumidifier at night. Once I take my meds, I feel pretty good and can shower and make myself some tea or soup. I have been living off of ramen noodles and warm tea with honey. The tea seems to make my throat feel so much better. I am also raking several naps during the day, and my meds do make me very sleepy. Overall thus far, very uncomfortable, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Would suggest staying far away from anything with tomatoes in it. Tried dome tomato soup earlier, and thought my throat was on fire! I know the worst is still to come with my scabs coming off, but I must say I am so glad I got the surgery. Even with my uvula and throat being as swollen as they are, I am already breathing so much better with those things out. Good luck to all!

 Valerie April 26, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Glad I saw your post about the tomato soup…I was considering it but did not take the acidity into consideration. Sorry you learned that the hard way :(

 Michelle April 25, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Day 1….
Just got home from having my tonsils out and I feel ok. Really tired, but I’m Ok. Had about a litre of water since 1pm and I am keeping on top of my medication. The water really does help, I went 20 mins earlier without any water at all, and boy could I tell. Going to drink as much as I can as it really is helping. Had water at room temperature without much discomfort. Managed to eat some food earlier, roast potatoes infact, as soft food seemed to hurt my throat more, and I do feel better for it. Yes it hurt, but needs must.
When people say avoid dairy – avoid dairy. I tried a yoghurt about an hour after I got into the ward and it made my throat feel sticky which hurt a bit, so not having any more of them for a while.
Let’s see what Day 2 brings.

 Valerie April 26, 2012 at 1:02 am

Had my surgery yesterday…surprisingly bc I had a bout of strep that came in the day before….go figure.

I have been feeling okay and have been tolerating soft solids like eggs but I put them through the food processor just to help get them down a little smoother.

My biggest complaint right now is the swelling of my uvula…it’s making me nauseas despite the anti-nausea medication. My sinuses are also starting to hurt and cause some facial discomfort…is this related?

All in all no major pain yet…hopefully ever but we will see what the next few days bring.

 Lea-30 female April 26, 2012 at 6:47 am

I had my surgery wednesday the 18th of April. A little update. I feel so blessed that my recovery went smooth. A few things that helped ME. After the first day I began to eat food as my pain meds made me sick to take on an empty stomach. It took me an hour to eat a slice of bread but I felt so much better. After day 1 I was off of my pain killers. I slowly began eating real food as I heard the sooner you chew and swallow the faster you recover. I had anything from KFC mashed potatoes, bread, chicken noodle soup, etc. my worst day was day 4, the pain shit straight to my ears but thank goodness it only lasted a day. After that I began eating CAREFULLY normal foods: chips, chicken nuggets, sandwhiches… Anything to get me to chew. I drank A LOT of water. Ice cold was useful, brought down my swelling… After a few days I began drinking warm tea which felt amazing on my throat. I am now 7 days in an almost normal. I am so very careful when chewing, you do not want to hurt your throat. But I am almost good as new. I figured if these things helped me and made my recover smooth I hope it’ll do the same for others. I had no issues with the scabs coming off… Just drink the dangin water!!! Keep hydrated. I got sick of water and moved to tea’s and soda after a few days… But my throat was always moist. But I think the constant drinking and chewing made my recovery smoother. I also began brushing my teeth and tongue once every couple of hours…. This helped my tongue out a lot and it helped with the nasty breath. I also began mouth wash… A tad bit of mouth wash mixed with mostly water…i gargled and I did this twice a day. It has really helped. Not sure if it was pure luck for me or if what I did was correct but…. I had virtually no pain through my process. Only one day of discomfort due to my ears and the rest was manageable. I hope this helps someone. The warm tea, feels great on your throat!!! It was soothing for me. Good luck and I hope you all feel better soon. This blog was a life savor for me. Thank you all for the best advice.

 Michelle April 26, 2012 at 11:52 am

Day 2…
Woke up this morning feeling a little rough. I set my alarm for 3am so I could take my tablets. My throat feels more painful than yesterday, but still bearable. Not managed to eat anything yet, but did have some cereal last night before bed. That was a bit tricky, but it felt great when I swallowed.
Keeping up with the water – been up since 9am and it’s almost 11am and I’ve drank almost 500mls, the water is helping.
Really tired again today, didn’t sleep very well last night as it was hard trying to get comfortable. I used a humidifier, not sure if it helped, but I’m still going to use it.
Although it’s only day 2, I do feel ok, let’s hope it stays this way!!!!

 Michelle April 26, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Ok….bit of advice needed please!
I only had my tonsils out yesterday and there is already a white film appeared at the back of my throat…is this normal? I can see dark brown spots too…anyone else experienced this?

 Valerie April 27, 2012 at 3:49 am

Yes!!! Completely normal!! It is your mouth’s way of “scabbing”. I’m very surprised the doctor didn’t inform you of that. As long as you don’t have a fever 100.4 or above you are fine.

 Michelle April 27, 2012 at 10:57 am

Thanks Valerie! x

 Michelle April 27, 2012 at 11:00 am

Day 3…
Not feelIng too good today, didn’t sleep well last night again. Still waking myself up for my medication. Off to the GP in a minute to get my throat checked and to see if I can get stronger pain relief. My throat feels a lot “thicker” than it has done, but I think it’s the white film that is making it feel like that. Also, I’ve woke up with a cough which is making me bork – and that hurts!! Let’s hope the doctor can sort me out!

 Valerie April 27, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I had my surgery early Tuesday morning so whatever you want to count from there is where I am (day 3 or 4) I have the fullness feeling too but I think it because of how swollen my uvula still is. I too have been coughing primarily bc of drool that has accumulated in my mouth but it is not pleasant. I think the thing that is bothering me most is my jaw and doctor gave me Vicodin for my pain and it seems to be working but it makes me sleepy and nauseas. Good luck with your pain.

 Jason April 27, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I’m 37 and had my surgery 1 week ago and here are my observations. (Well, first of all, I had additional septoplasty and turbinate bone reshaping, but I’ll focus my thoughts on my throat.)

Day 1, morphine in recovery caused extreme nausea and vomiting, which was perhaps the most unpleasant experience you could imagine with a throat full of stitches…They tried anti nausea meds, but no avail. Pain level Day 1 was about an 8 out of 10. Most annoying feeling was that of the stitches each time I swallowed.

Days 2-3 were about the same. Needed to change pain meds as the Percocet was making me really dizzy. Switched to Tylenol-3 Codeine and had much better results. Doc also prescribes Viscous Lidocaine Gargle, which I found helpful, yet tasted like poison.

Days 4-6 were the worst. Tremendous pain…especially first thing in the morning…I had to talk myself into swallowing. Pain level during swallowing was a 9 out of 10. Still unable to eat anything other than applesauce, mashed potatoes, or pasta. Lots of white areas on back of throat…bad breath, etc.

Days 7-9. Slight improvement in pain level. Still whiteness, but I can see pink returning beneath it. Able to eat a McDonald’s cheeseburger today! (though chewed it to the consistency of baby food…lol.) Still needing pain meds as required, and mornings are still very painful. I can say I finally believe the pain will end eventually.

My summary- Believe everything you hear. It is as bad as advertised, but for me it was either get them removed, or suffer the long term effects of obstructive sleep apnea, which are heart attack or stroke, so it had to be done. The benefits outweigh the pain, so keep that in mind and it will help you thru it. I would advise planning on at least one full week out of work to be safe. I went back on day 7 and could have used a few more. Get family and friends to help…my wife was a saint thru the process.

Best of luck.

 Alison April 27, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I am now on day 25 post op and been back at work for a week. Apart from my throat still being a bit painful first thing in the morning and by the end of the day most of the time I forget I have had it done except when I eat…… all food tastes a bit odd and sweet things, particularly chocolate, tastes revolting which as I am trying to put back on some of the 18lbs of weight I lost is frustrating!! Does anyone know how long my taste buds will take to recover???

 Jonette April 27, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I am 33 now and I had my tonsils out when I was 19. Since then I have had 3 other surgeries: wisdom teeth and two cysts removed (one ovarian and one on thyroid). I am sorry to say to all that are about to go through this: the tonsillectomy was the worst. I remember my Mother caught me turning up the bottle of liquid lortab and drinking it from the bottle. That is how painful it was. I remember waking up in the middle of the night with my throat in excruciating pain. Now on a lighter note, we had no internet at our house in the late 90′s so I did not have any advice except my doctor’s advice. I don’t remember drinking alot of water because it hurt so badly. I did not have a humidifier and I did not even try solid foods for a week. So maybe if I would have tried harder to swallow more, it would not have been so bad. And also I am SO GLAD I had the surgery. The two weeks of severe pain is so much better than a lifetime of tonsillitis or tonsil pain. Go ahead and have it done. You will be so thankful for the rest of your life.

 Michelle April 28, 2012 at 11:07 am

Day 4…
Made the silly mistake of sleeping through my alarm to get up to take my meds…now I’m in agony. My ears hurt this morning, my tongue hurts and my throat is basically killing me.
Went to the GP yesterday and she’s put me on antibiotics as she thinks my throat is infected, so I think that might be contributing to the pain too.
Worst day today, definitely. But, that’s my fault as I slept through my alarm.
Still got that thick feeling at the back of my throat and a sticky phlegm is driving me nuts!!
I’m not regretting having it done, just wouldn’t mind a bit of improvement on the pain.
One can only hope!!

 deb April 29, 2012 at 12:16 pm

sorry Michelle-I know just how you feel. My ears and back of tongue hurt like crazy for two weeks…. at one point i was sure i had permanent nerve damage… but by day 20 it was much, much better. It just takes time. I know what you mean about the pain meds, also…..and I know how terrible it is to wake up with that dry throat and try to swallow water. I hope you are getting that help with your young children and plenty of rest

 Lollyhn April 29, 2012 at 2:19 am

Female, 33, on day 5. Had tonsil stones and many cases of strep and tonsilitius. I really stressed myself out reading everything online but it was worth it because I was expecting the worst and it hasn’t been that bad. As soon as I woke up from surgery my doctor told me how “nasty” my tonsils were and that confirmed to me that I had done the right thing. It hasn’t been pain free. But I’ve had a wonderful support team to help. Also, knowing what to be prepared for and having everything in place helped to make my recovery much easier than it would’ve been. Drinking lots of water is the key to recovery. The humidifier was a very good thing as well. split pea soup (no ham) was awesome. Lactose free ice cream (sherbet) was awesome last night. Definitely eat after your meds have kicked in (30 minutes was a good time frame) or just suffer through the pain and take meds with food and your throat will be less sore from the trauma of eating. I’ve been trying not to talk too much the past couple days. Talking really dries out the tonsils and puts extra strain on the throat. I never had bad toung swelling or jaw pain. Just a little ear ache but not horrible. Recovery is a roller coaster some moments I’m good and others I’m not. I just listen to my body and do what I can. The best thing…. No more stinky infected tonsils and I’ve lost 6-7 pounds in 5 days and I’m back to my pre-baby weight and wearing all my old clothes. Just in time for the weather getting warmer. Now, I’m looking forward to getting off my meds and feeling like my old self again.

 Lollyhn April 29, 2012 at 2:26 am

Wanted to add… I had a c-section almost 2 years ago and that was waaaay worse than this. When i read others saying this was worse than a c section i almost cancelled my surgery.
Plus, I broke my foot (5th metatarsal) last November and that too was much worse than this, in my perspective.
I would rather have a really bad sore throat than have major abdominal surgery and I would rather have this pain than hobbling around on one foot for 3 months and the pain of a broken bone lasts a very long time (my foot still hurts sometimes… Except this last week because of the painkillers). However, that is just my personal opinion. Pain is very subjective.

 Valerie April 29, 2012 at 3:31 am

Have to agree…this has been cake compared to my c-section…for me it’s just been like a case of strep accompanied with some jaw pain and drooling at night due to extra saliva…I’m waiting until I’m fully recovered though to update pain level and over all recovery just in case…

 Angie April 29, 2012 at 5:23 am

I am 26 and just had my tonsils removed on Tuesday! I’m still in pretty much pain and have not been able to eat anything except Popsicles still! My main concern thou is that my tongue on both sides have been completely numb since my surgery! I’m really worried that something went wrong! Has anyone else experience numbness is there tongue?

 deb April 29, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I did…. but gladly it did eventually go away. it is very irritating and a bit scary especially since i was afraid it would cause me to choke. I assume your tongue will get better in a in about a week or so. Take care

 Valerie April 30, 2012 at 6:25 am

My tongue has intermittently felt numb or tingly sinc my surgery (4/24/12). The ENT told me it could happen prior to the surgery but would clear up as healing progressed.

 SJ April 29, 2012 at 8:13 am

Hi I am 24, female, also in Australia. It has been 54 hours since I had surgery. I was prepared for the worst, had heard all the horror stories. I was so relieved when I awoke in recovery and could still speak and the pain was not unbearable. I came home yesterday afternoon and have since found the pain is getting worse. I am drinking water regularly and eating soft foods, e.g. soups, custard, jelly, mashed potato. Swallowing is getting more difficult and the jaw pain really hit me this afternoon. I noticed my face didn’t swell that much until yestetday when I came home. Dr has prescribed antibiotics, oxycodone and paracetamol. Ive only taken one oxycodone and have been coping on the paracetamol. My tongue is huge, my ears a bit sore, my uvula is about four times the usual size and I keep feeling like I’m choking. Specialist said to drink plenty of coke and chew on gum. I had a warm shower this morning and washed my hair, the steam in shower really soothed my throat and cleared some of the mucous. Thinking of getting a humidifier if pain gets worse. Sleeping is hard cause I keep drooling and choking, managing to sleep about 1 – 2 hours at a time. Any tips for coping with jaw and ear pain?

 deb April 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I am 48 and 23 days past my tonsillectomy….. my ear/tongue/jaw pain was awful, too….. I have no advice except to encourage you that it will pass although it may be a couple of weeks. I know what you mean when you say the pain worsened …. since the first two days after my surgery I did yard and garden work but by day three I was wiped out in bed. I wish i would have tried a humidifier, but I assumed that the warm, moist spring air here (midwest USA) the air would be fine…. I ended up sleeping with a moisted wash cloth over/near my mouth. Dry air really caused pain for me. The only thing that kept me sane about the ear pain was the fact that I had to remind myself constantly that I didn’t actually have an ear infection …. i know this sounds silly, but for some reason wrapping a very soft fabric around my ears when trying to sleep, like a satin or velour, seemed comforting….I would wrap a soft scarf around my ears and throat sometimes when i was awake, too….. the wind outside seemed to hurt , even a gentle breeze.

 Michelle April 29, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Day 5…
Feel awful today. Completely exhausted and the pain in my ears is driving me mad! Feels like an ear infection mixed with getting water in them…if that makes any sense.
Throat still painful, even though I’m having meds every 6 hours and I am on the second day of antibiotics. Still sleeping with the humidifier on, and I think it’s helping.
Generally fed up now, I just want a break from the pain in my throat! And the bad breath!!!

 Valerie April 30, 2012 at 6:21 am

I too woke up feeling more uncomfortable then previous days…I was able to go the day before without any pain meds but today my ears hurt and every sound my two very chatty girls made, felt like someone was stabbing me in the ear. I hope the pain subsides quickly!!! Just hang in there!!

 Michelle April 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Thanks Valerie, I just feel so fed up at the moment, all I want to do us be back in my feet and getting on with things! How annoying!! Thanks so much for your kind words though xxxx

 Andrea April 30, 2012 at 3:26 am

I had my surgery done on 4/25.
Day 1 was okay. Nauseas and pain but I guess normal after anesthesia.
On day 2 I was impressed to see myself so well, I ate scramble eggs and mash potatoes and I was feeling great, I was talking and drinking a lot of water and eve feel good to go outside for a few hours, however that night I started to feel bad. I started to use gum and chew all day and night. The codene has been making me sick of my stomache so I switched to Children’s Tylenol.
Day 3 was bad, I could not deal with the pain. I am using Tylenol and seems like is not enough to keep my pain in control. I am sick of my stomache and I started to throw up little black things. I have been using gum to keep my throat moist and clean, seems that it helps but the pain is really bad.
Day 4 another bad day, a white film has been set around my throat and seems like all the black staff is gone, however the taste is horrible and the pain is still there. I had to stop the codene because was making me nauseas but I went back to it because childrens tylenol is not helping me.
Day 5, a better day I have been using the medicine every 5 hr instead of 4 and the pain seems a little more managable, however I feel like a have a ear infection and my jaw is tired of chewing gum. I am not stopping because I don’t want my throat dry. I had have lost 8lb and go pee every hr, but still can’t go to the bathroom since my surgery.
To all of you use gum and water, chew and drink seems painful but we need to keep the throat moist.
We can do it!!!!

 Valerie April 30, 2012 at 6:32 am

Take the codine with food…it’s the only way to beat the nausea when taking it unless you can get your doctor to write an Rx or anti-nausea medication like Zofran. When I had a hard time rotting food down I would take the pills with two things of jellow…it seemed to be just enough in my stomach to tolerate the meds. The “white film” is your mouth’s way of scabbing…kind of gross. Good luck!!

 Alicia April 30, 2012 at 3:58 am

I am a 32 year old female. I had a tonsillectomy performed on April 10th and I was not informed much about the post op care. I was simply told my pain would be severe on days 5-7. My “intense” pain began on day 7 and continued through day 10. I became dehydrated from not wanting to swallow water due to the pain. Word of advice, take your pain meds faithfully, eat lots of popsicles, snow cones, jello, soups, scrambled eggs and water! Water is your best friend! :) . I am now 19 days post op and I still have a bit of pain when introducing certain foods back in my diet. Nothing Tylenol or Advil can’t cure. I am currently experiencing a lost of taste for foods. Has anyone ever suffered from this and regained taste for food after a tonsillectomy? If so, how long did it last? It really is bothersome. :(

 Renee April 30, 2012 at 4:28 am

i’m 32 and live in Australia
Had my surgery done 11 days ago
like others i read every submission on every blog i could find..I even had my husband on google at work!! Honestly all this really done was scare the pants off me & give me every worse case you could think of… i was scared out of my wits of this surgery…I had also had a close friend have the same surgery a month ago & her stories of drooling and unbearable pain matched a lot of what I had been reading…

WOW was i suprised i woke from the surgery sore but ok the worst part by far was the ear pain & pain on the bridge of my nose and lips (they were split in a couple of places)…I ate a water ice-block in recovery and three hours later in my room i was sitting up having apple juice and mashed egg sandwiches….
No drooling…i started sipping water non stop from the second i could in recovery and am still doing this as it has really helped…
I was sent home with a garggle mix i had to make of Hydrogen Peroxide & Xylocaine Jelly tht has helped with pain and any small bleeds…I was also given panadol & Endone (boy the Endone works really well)…I was eating sandwiches with the crust off…mashed potato…mince and gravy…mac & cheese…fish…my biggest issue is i can’t have anyhting hot…i hate cold food lol & drinking lots of water…
I eased up the pain meds by day 3 until…

Day 4 i developed a chest infection that in turn set my asthma off and boy that made things a little more interesting and painful…non-stop coughing with a very raw throat after this surgery was not a good thing there was one day all i could stomach was water icy poles & water because everything else just irritated my throat and made me cough…back on the pain meds and garggle on a regular basis & my doc put me on anti biotics…the ear pain is still the big killer…

Day 11 and now the cough is as good as gone thankfully. I just had one endone last night before bed and nothing today the pain is just like a mild sore throat more uncomfortable when i swallow…I am still drinking heaps of water and eating.. still a little sore to swallow but had a braise with beef in it last night and ate it fine (other than the fact it was near cold..yuck) My scabs have thinned right out and it’s all looking good..
My voice still goes a bit funny at times and the ear pain still comes & goes but not bad…

The main thing i would say is read everything it gives you insite but realise every person is different…if i hadn’t got the cough i would have said it was sore and uncomfortable but more than bearable with medication and garggle no worse than a bad bout of tonsilitis & none of the horror experiences i had read about…keeping up the water makes a huge difference and just having the time to rest and let yourself heal is important…..

In my 32 years old.. from the time i was 4 and can remember the first bought of tonsilitis I could not tell you one day where I didn’t feel sick in some way from these evil things i was always on penicilin & because I could take that always had trouble finding a surgeon who would take them out…after hell for so many years, so many missed events, time off work etc this surgery is a life changer!!!! Don’t be affraid…be informed…be organised & go for it! at day 11 I already feel better than I ever have….now 2 be able 2 eat hot food again :)
Good Luck Everyone

 Michelle April 30, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Day 6…
Dreadful day, absolutely awful. Spent the whole day in bed and most if it asleep.
My throat is very sore today, and my ears are just a bad. The slightest noise is a killer. My throat feels raw, I have loads of phlegm which is still knocking me sick and I’ve hardly eaten.
I hope this will end soon, I’m really getting totally fed up.

 arodz May 1, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Sorry you are too experiencing this. I totally know how you feel. This has been a nightmare for me. But definitely the second week you will be much better. Still painful but better then what you are going through now.

 tiffany May 1, 2012 at 3:37 am

I just had my tonsils out Friday and ain’t been ablle to eat anything at all not even icecream what can I do to get beteeer sooner?

 SJ May 1, 2012 at 8:26 am

You absolutely must keep hydrated. Drink water every ten minutes, maybe every hour or two ay night and suck on some ice blocks. And get some good pain killers. The main thing is to keep your throat moist.

 SJ May 1, 2012 at 8:17 am

I’m on Day 5 now. Thanks Deb for your reply. I wore a beenie to bed lastnight and having my ears coveted helped immensely. Also pulled blanket over my mouth so cold air couldn’t get to my throat and dry it out too bad. I hope I’m not cursing myself but I’m starting to feel the pain is easing a little. The first few days I managed to lay on the lounge and watch movies. I spent all yesterday in bed wrapped up like an Eskimo. Really bad ear and jaw pain. The endone doesn’t seem to work well for me, it makes me blurry but doesn’t take away pain. Panadol every 3- 4 hours has kept me going. I’ve found having a warm shower when I wake in the morning and before I go to sleep has been super helpful. Really moistens my throat and clears out the throat gunk, I do a gentle gargle in the shower and brush my teeth and tongue with a babies toothbrush. I have to agree, the key to less pain is keeping a moist throat. I’m too grossed out to look at my throat again but I can feel scabs have started to form. I’m drinking water constantly, sucking on ice blocks and today I decided to have some organic honey disolved in warm water – let it cool down before u drink. I think the endone has made me constipated, 2 days without going now. I’be been looking into natural healing remedies. I’m about to make myself a juice of carrot, celery and cucumber. I found lastnight that fresh coconut juice was particulary relieving. I have such a bad muscular pain betweeny shoulder blades and neck from sleeping propped up in bed. Going to try eating some plain pasta with butter again today and some scrambled eggs, hurts to swallow but I’m so hungry!!

 SJ May 1, 2012 at 8:24 am

And def stay away from dairy. Everyone ‘out there’, even hospitals encourage ice cream, but I think this is the worst. Creates so much mucous. I think sorbet or gelato is much better.

 Valerie May 1, 2012 at 12:58 pm

One week exactly since surgery day…today is proving to e the most painful…couldn’t wait the full 4hrs before next dose of pain medication…I know everyone has said this is how it goes but it just seems backwards considering I went day 4 & 5 without any pain meds….still eating and drinking well…up to this point my throat had been the least of my pain but I told my husband my ears and jaw and head hurt so bad and compared the feeling to someone putting my head between two cinder locks and smashing them from both sides with a sledge hammer…throat has decided to join the pain party this morning.

Still not worse or even able to be compared to my c section…but in deed recovery has proven to be very unpleasant…although my husband might appreciate the week that has gone by without my ability to speak :)

 Savea May 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I am 32 years old and just had my tonsils 6 days ago.I have a high pain tolerance, and let me tell you, the recovery is rough. I have lost 11 lbs, can’t drink /eat anything cold. On day 3, Post-op I was admitted to the hospital cause I couldn’t stop bleeding. At that point I was SCARED! nurses and doctors all around me starting multiple IVES on me at once. Other nurses trying to make me sign the papers to receive blood while another nurse is trying to get the info from me about my surgeon. My husband was completely useless cause he was freaking out from all the blood everywhere. I filled two bedpans of blood and blood clots. Thankfully I didn’t require surgery to cauterize what was bleeding. By far, this has been the worse recovery of all my surgeries. I am a cancer survivor, I had a hysterectomy, and a septoplasty (same day as my tonsils) but this recovery from the Tonsillectomy is the WORSE! I wish u all a speedy recovery

 SJ May 1, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Oh my goodness, Savea that is terrible! Can’t imagine how scary and painful it must be for you. I hope things improve quickly for you. Tonight I found an amazing remedy. I made carrot and cucumber juice, didn’t taste the best, but boy was it soothing. Even more so than the coconut juice – try it!! My right ear and tonsil space are fighting at the moment, my left side seems ok for now.

 arodz May 1, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I am 41 years old and I had my surgery done on Friday 4/13. Today is 5/1 and I am still feeling some pain. My ears hurt, my jaw hurt and I feel weak. My first day back to work was yesterday and it wasn’t easy.
On my day of surgery I was fine, I went home and followed doctor orders. The next day it was horrible!!!!! horrible!!!! :-( My mouth was so swollan that I could not speak anymore. The pain- Oh Lord!!!! I ran to take the pain but let me tell you that just taking the med was hard. I had liquid Hydrocodine and just trying to get it through my throat was hard and painful. I screemed and had to hold my head tight until the pain pass. It got to the point where I couldn’t even drink the pain med. On that week I called my doctor because I though I needed stronger pain med. He prescribe percosets. Told me to crush them and drink with water and that was better. But then I started to have more problems and by Thursday I rushed to the emergency room. I was dehydrated and was in the hospital taking med and liquid through IV. They also gave me some kind of steroid to bring the swelling down. That day I went back home and continued to take my med but went back to the liquid hydrocodine. I had my alarm set up so that I wont miss a dose of med. One important thing is to keep yourself medicated that way you feel less pain. I did not eat for 10 days and depended on water. On the following week I started to eat yogurts, ice cream, pudding, jello. Then, moved to eat farina, and plain mash potatoes. On 4/29 was the first day when I began to feel a little better, I was off pain med and ate more- still soft foods. As I mentioned above, today I still feel pain in the jaw, ears and throat hurt a little. I can constantly sipping on water and trying eat different foods that will go down smoothly without hurting myself. I still sleep with a towel over my mouth because it just feels better not having that air go in my throat and showers, lots of warm showers helped me. I can’t wait to feel normal again. This is not an easy surgery and It’s the worst soar throat EVER!!!!!! But with the problems I had with my tonsils several times a year – it was worth it.

 Michelle May 1, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Day 7…
Had the worst pain ever in the early hours of this morning. It felt like someone was cutting my throat with a hit knife…absolutely terrible.
When I woke up, I was pleasantly surprised that the pain had seemed to ease off a little…possibly the scabs have come off during the night?? Swallowing is still an issue, but only on one side. And this blasted phlegm – how long does this last?? It driving me nuts!!!
Managed to get my pain under control by taking half of my meds every 3 hours and this has really helped me. Not eaten hardly anything again today, but don’t feel as weak as I have in previous days.
My other half has checked my throat and he can see an improvement, so hopefully, I’m on that upward hill rather than the downward one!!
I gargled with luke warm salt water yesterday for the first time – oh it was soooooo good, stung like crazy, but the back of my throat felt awesome afterwards.
Holding out still, let’s hope it’s a good day tomorrow.

 Frank May 2, 2012 at 7:56 am

My son got his tonsils and adnoids removed its day 5 and on day 4 he started to get headaches is that normal? Plz let me know my son is only 7 years old and it sucks to see him hurting!!!! :(

 Michelle May 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Hi Frank, I’ve had a lot of ear pain over the last 3 days which is driving me mad. Most people who have posted on here have also experienced it, so I think it’s all part of the recovery. Any noise really hurts and at the moment I’m hyper sensitive with noise.
I suppose you could always speak with the doctor just incase? I hope your little guy gets better soon.

 Valerie May 2, 2012 at 4:54 pm

It is common to experience all over head pain after the surgery. Some is due to referred pain the other could be due to tension in his neck muscles from being in pain. Of he has a fever with the headache call the doctor!! Otherwise its pretty normal.

 SJ May 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Day 6. I have been sitting in the ER for three hours now waiting to be seen. The nurse gave me ice to suck on but other than that, absolutely no help. I blacked out in the shower tonight and was lucky not to be injured. blood pressure is high. I’m hoping its just the pain and not eating today that knocked me around, not clots. Bleeding is what I fear most.

 Michelle May 2, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Oh SJ, you poor thing. I hope you get sorted and feel better soon. Take care xxx

 Valerie May 2, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Is it normal to have the area surrounding the scab to be red? I usually associate this type of redness around a wound site to be sign of infection but I am on antibiotics so I thought my body would fight and creeping infection.

Anyone else have this?

 Yelena May 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I got my surgery on May 1st, today is day #4 post-op. And I do have that dark red around scabs. My husband says since I am taking antibiotics, I should be fine.

 Sean May 2, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Day 8!! I think… Had my tonsils out last wednesday so do we count that as day 1? Anyways, 7/8 so far have been the worst, 1-5 were complete jokes… Scabs slowing falling off in the entrance to my throat, only really have pain on my right side, doesn’t make sense? Also, scans looking a bit pinker, is there anything to speed up them falling off? This surgery doesn’t suck it’s just tedious and annoying, I want to take a

 Valerie May 2, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I have pain only on my left side but apparently that side had more scare issue from chronic infection so that is probably my cause….possibly yours???

I was able to get down a burger today…it never tasted so good!! Just had to chew slowly, take small bites, an drank to help wash it down.

 Michelle May 3, 2012 at 1:34 am

Day 8…
Good day today, managed to eat cereal, had soup for lunch and then braved some chicken…tasted do good, but hurt.
My throat really hurts when I go to bed and I can’t fathom why. It’s been great all day and now it’s killing me! I still have my humidifier on, and I’m still drinking water…..? Weird!
Hoping for another good day tomorrow.

 Michelle May 3, 2012 at 3:04 am

Oh my God – I’m in so much pain!!! Anyone else get excruciating pain during the night?? This is the second night this has happened!! My throat has been fine all day, now it feels like I’ve got razor blades stuck there. Ouch :-(

 SJ May 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Yep, feel you on that. I can be relatively ok for hours then at night or whenever I sleep I dry out and end up in agony. I tried sleeping with a wet cloth on my face but that just kept falling off. I think the trick is to keep drinking and sucking on ice chips. I’m going to set my alarm for every hour tonight so I can have a drink and avoid the severe pain and chance of bleeding again.

 Valerie May 4, 2012 at 6:28 am

I feel you…my pain has been at its worst in the mornings and the only thing I can think of it I dried out because once I hydrate myself a good bit, I feel much better.

 Emily May 3, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I’m 21 years old and I had my tonsils out exactly a week ago, so this would be my 7th day in recovery. Along with the tonsillectomy, I had the tunnels in my sinus cavities opened up, so I’ve been struggling with bloody noses and trying to keep my nose hydrated just as much as my throat.
My hardest day was yesterday, I was in just so much pain. The ear pain also started hitting me yesterday and water was awful on the throat. My mom had to call the doctor because I was just in so much pain and I got the answer I knew and hated, I had to eat and drink more. I’m still in lots of pain but not as bad, most of it is on my left side. The irritating part is I can only open my mouth about an inch wide, it feels like there is something physically stopping my jaw from moving any more. Anyone else have that issue?
I’m suppose to wait every four hours to take 1-2 tsp of codine, but we decided to change it up and taqke 1 tsp every 2 hours; which would still equal out to 2 tsp every four hours Best advice I can offer, is drink and eat.
I’m just hoping the pain goes away by Sunday because I have to go back to work on Monday, and I work in a daycare.

 Chris May 3, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Hi All, I am now on day 6 of recovery… I had my tonsills and adenoids removed and my uvula trimmed. I will agree that this is one of the worst surgery’s for recovery one can recieve. For myself.. its not really the pain causing me any issues. I havent needed to take any of the narcotics my doctor prescribed. I am only taking occasional Tylenol. My biggest issue is the constant mucus or flem buildups… it causes me to gag and choke constantly !! Twice i have started some minor bleeding wich thankfully stopped after only a bit and its been almost 2 days since the last time I opend the wounds up. How is everyone else dealing with this or am I the oddity here ? Energy levels are ok.. even though I have lost nearly 15lbs in a week. I do have some slight ear and jaw pain but its quite manageble. Not worth choking down more tylenol ! haha. anyway.. I hope day 7 and on is going to get alot better. Right now I am surviving on popsicles… applesauce mixtures… and ensure meal replacements. OH.. that is one big piece of advice.. pick up some of those liquid meal replacements.. like Ensure or whatever name brand. They do definately put good stuff back into you since eating is dificult. Well wishes to everyone..

 Chris May 5, 2012 at 8:16 am

Well.. spent about 5 hrs in the ER this morning. Started bleeding some time last night and had to go in. of course it stopped by the time a doctor could see me.. so the sent me home. Now at home 3 hrs later and I am bleeding again. This time from a different spot. I hate this… wish I had never gone ahead with the surgery.

 Michelle May 4, 2012 at 12:34 am

Day 9…
Another good day today considering the little amount of sleep I got last night because of the pain. Been up doing some house work today and been out this evening for an hour. All in all, I feel ok today. My throat is still uncomfortable, not pain, but more like a stretched muscle kind of feeling. The back of my tongue is still quite sore too, but that is easing off now. Going to see my doctor tomorrow to check that all is well and that my throat is recovering as it should be.
I’m so glad that I feel better – just hope this pain in the night stops!!

 Devon May 4, 2012 at 1:28 am

I had my Surgery on April 23rd and I’m 10 days into recovery. The first bit was pretty rough for me. I had thrush very badly, but I’m seeing a huge improvement in my recovery since the doctor prescribed me with an oral medication to get rid of the thrush. My concern right now is that I have developed hard yellowish patches on the top inner part of either side of where my tonsils were, the corners closets to the uvula. The yellowish patches seem to spider down into the empty tonsil sockets. The problem is that when I swallow I get a painful spiking sensation, unlike what I experienced right after surgery. This is more like the walls of tonsil socket that are closets to the uvula are being snapped. Then I being to choke, it sends a spike of pain radiating into both ears, and I have to stop moving all together for serval moments to figure out what just happened. I do have acid reflux, and I was wondering if maybe some could give me some insight.

 SJ May 4, 2012 at 1:49 am

Day 8, I’m back in hospital waiting to be admitted. Had a blackout in shower on weds night, came emergency, given saline and painkillers home early thurs morning. Thurs morning I woke up in severe pain, took medication from hospital and vomitted. Went to medical centre and got an anti nausea and pain shot. Came home, slept and woke up with slight pain and streaky blood. Specialist ordered me to go straight to the ER. Had another drip and meds. Went to sleep at 12pm (Aussie time) and woke every half hour to drink water. At 2.30 I checked my throat and no issues. At 4 am I got up to go to toilet, washed ny hands and blood started gushing out my mouth. So very scary. Lucky I read about what to do if this happened, so I immediatelyvgrqbbed a bottle of cold water from the fridge and started gargling out the blood. Also lucky I had an emergency bag packed so we quickly rushed to the hospital, all the while I’m gargling away, got to ER to be greeted by severly complacent triage nurse. I coughed up the clot, rather I gagged on it and forced it out, no help from the nurse. After the clot passed the bleeding began to stop. Still in ER waiting to be admitted, my specialist wants me to stay for 24 hrs. If I bleed again I have to have surgery.

 Michelle May 4, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Oh SJ, you really have had it rough. I feel so sorry for you. I hope it all goes well and that you recover as soon as possible. Lots of love to you xxxxx

 janetta May 4, 2012 at 5:31 am

omgoodness the pain was so so for me had my surgery on April 27 i pray that it stays better and i also pray for other people that are going through PAIN and the advice you all gave is great BE blessed :)

 Sarah May 4, 2012 at 9:42 am

I had my tonsills out 5 days ago and I want to reassure anyone who is soon to undergo surgery that the pain is NOT THAT BAD! On day 1 (just after I had my tonsills removed) I ate a hot dinner (consisting of: beans and pasta with pumpkin sauce). The following morning, I ate toast with honey. Although, there was some discomfort, it really wasn’t THAT BAD! I feel sorry for those of you that have had severe pain (I was prescribed the drug Endone) and it helps a lot with pain relief. I find the mornings are harder to cope with — and I usually wake up in a bit of pain, take an Endone and a glass of water and go back to bed. My scab has not yet begun to harden as yet – I’ll be looking forward to that (not!!) What is currently happening, is when I eat meals (pasta for example) bits of pasta are sticking to the wound. I am worried I am going to reinfect myself. I have coughed up most of the food bits however, some are still stuck there!! Now there’s some food for thought……

 SJ May 4, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I would ask your doctor about getting a hydrogen peroxide mouth rinse to clear the wounds.

 Michelle May 5, 2012 at 12:05 am

Day 10…
Hardly any pain through the day, was just tender when I first woke this morning. I have only had to take 2 paracetamol today, and that was when I woke up, so managed to go all day without any pain relief.
Can honestly say that I feel really well…my throat is still a bit sore, but nothing that bothers me.
Still got a bit of white at the back of my throat, but hardly any now.
So glad the worst – I hope – is over.

 Michael May 5, 2012 at 11:17 am

I just want to thank you Michelle, i have been reading your blogs over the last few days. I have my op on the 27th April so i am on day 8 of my recovery and i am just starting to feel normal again. I had a good sleep last night and didnt have to get up through the night for painkillers so things are starting to look good. So once again thank you your posts they helped me get through the bad days i had.

 Michelle May 5, 2012 at 11:45 am

Awww, you’re welcome! I am really glad its helped someone!!
I was really really nervous after reading some posts on here. It’s day 11 for me now and apart from a niggling pain in my throat, I feel great. I have to admit, it has not been half as bad as I expected, it was more mentally challenging than anything trying to think and stay positive even though you’re in pain.
I wish you the best for the rest of your recovery – couple more days and you’ll be feeling so much better xxx

« OLDER ENTRIES                                                               NEWER ENTRIES »

Leave a Reply