• Post Category:Blog

crying-manThere is a vast difference between having a tonsillectomy as a child and as an adult. Firstly, the older you are, the longer it takes the body to heal. Secondly, a child’s tonsils are much smaller than an adult’s and require much less skin to be removed. The larger adult tonsils tend to cause more trauma and pain. However, doctors do not completely understand why an adult experiences more subjective pain than a child. If you are about to have a tonsillectomy or have recently had your tonsils removed, you should expect moderate to severe discomfort and pain for at least two weeks, sometimes longer.

Immediately after the tonsillectomy operation you should not feel too much pain as you will still have the anaesthetic in your system. The pain usually starts to become very uncomfortable when you wake up the following day. Your recovery experience will depend a lot on how you plan for and manage the next two weeks. You should expect to have a mild to severely sore throat in the first two weeks. The throat pain will peak around days 7-11 when the scabs from the wound begin to fall off. You should also expect to lose some weight and feel hungry as you will not be able to follow your normal diet. Loss of taste, sore tongue, bad breath and jaw pain are also commonly reported after a tonsillectomy. Some people also experience mild to severe nausea after the operation due to the anaesthetic.

Your first challenge will be eating and drinking. The most important advice that anyone can give you about recovering from a tonsillectomy is to drink water. Unfortunately drinking water is extremely painful, especially when the throat is dry .e.g. when you first wake up. However, if you do not drink water, the throat becomes even drier and it is even more painful to drink water. You should keep a bottle of water close to you and sip it as often as you can.

Eating food is also very difficult. The most common food in the first few weeks is ice chips or ice lollies as they both hydrate your throat and numb it at the same time which is very soothing. Rough foods which scrape your throat are painful, yet some doctors recommend rough food as they say it will clean the wound and speed up your recovery. I strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor about your tonsillectomy recovery and find out what foods he or she recommends. Most people in the USA are told to eat soft foods for the first week or so until after the scabs have fallen off and then slowly progress to rougher foods. Popular soft foods are pasta, baby food, jell-o, soup, scrambled egg. Do not eat very acidic or spicy foods or sauces as these will cause pain e.g. tomato based sauces or anything with chillies in it.

You will notice that you develop a heavy grey/yellow/white membrane where the tonsils were removed. This is the scab that is protecting the area where you tonsils were removed. It will slowly go away as you heal. The greatest risk you face is hemorrhaging of the wound. This occurs when the wound opens up and begins to bleed. If it is a very small amount it is usually not a big concern, however if it is more, you need to get urgent medical attention. In all cases, you should contact your doctor immediately or get to the nearest emergency hospital. You should not worry too much about the likelihood of serious hemorrhaging during your tonsillectomy recovery period as less than 4% of people will actually experience it.


Another area to focus on is your sleeping environment. You should plan to make this area as comfortable as possible as this is where you will be spending much of your recovery time. I strongly recommend buying or borrowing a humidifier as it can significantly aid in your tonsillectomy recovery. A humidifier will increase the humidity in air that you breathe and therefore aid in keeping your throat moist. Your sleeping cycle will almost certainly be affected by the medication you take and the pain you experience.Depending on the medication you are prescribed and the schedule for taking it, you may find yourself waking up when the medication begins to wear off and the pain increases.

Most people find themselves sleeping for between four and six hours at a time. It is generally a good idea to set an alarm to take your medication if you may be sleeping as this will also give you some time to drink some water.

Medication is critical during your tonsillectomy recovery. You can expect to be prescribed both a pain killer and anti-biotic. The anti-biotic is used to prevent or control any infection arising from the wound. The pain killers are obviously prescribed to help you manage the pain. You may be prescribed an opioid based pain killer which is very effective. Talk to your doctor and ask him exactly how often you should take your medication and the maximum you can take when the pain is severe.

Remember that after the scabs fall off around days 7-11, your recovery will be rapid. Don’t forget to drink water often and follow your medication schedule. If you have not yet had your tonsillectomy and are planning for it, go out now and buy yourself some of your favourite magazines, books etc. Even although the recovery period is quite short, it feels longer than it is and the more things you have to distract yourself with the better!


« OLDER ENTRIES                                                               NEWER ENTRIES »

 Heather February 23, 2012 at 1:57 am

I am 22 and I had my tonsils taken out on 2/13/12
before my surgery i was reading all about it and it got me really scared, but it wasn’t as bad as i thought it was going to be. Day 2 and day 4 were the worst for me. day 2 was the worst for me because i have “regular” medication i have to take then the pain meds and with all the medication in my belly and not enough food it got me sick. so make sure even if you dont want to eat, eat it helps a lot. An ice pack on my neck was my life saver whenever i was in lots of pain i put an ice pack on it and it would get much better. I am on day 10 now.. and i still have my scabs, i am still wondering when they are going to fall off.. the pain is much better now and i only take Tylenol for the pain. Just hang in there drink lots of water and eat what you can. i ate scrambled eggs, soup, mashed potatoes.. and it was only a couple bites here and there but it was something. I lost about 10 pounds over all.
Good Luck, and best recovery to everyone :)

 Jamie February 23, 2012 at 2:35 am

I am on day 5 post surgery. The pain is manageable. My problem is the smell from the back of my throat which was cauterizezed. It is nauseating. I am chewing gum and eating mints to stop myself from smelling it and vomiting. Is this normal? Any tips?

 Kim February 23, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I have been using mouth wash after brushing my teeth. It may help. I understand how you feel I am post op day 8 and felt nauseated this morning looking and smelling the back of my throat.

 Scott February 24, 2012 at 10:14 am

Had mine done 2/17 and since then my throat has been smelling awful according to my wife! I have only notice sometimes when I am eating, it is pretty awful but I try to brush & mouthwash e extra time a day

 Dorothy March 4, 2012 at 4:04 am

I had my tonsil surgery 2/24, My son was oh so nice to tell me the other day my breath smelled like a dirty diaper. it tastes even more awful. I try to use gum any flavor or jolly ranchers n mints.
My dr’s med asst said unfortunately, this is normal till the scabs fall off

 Linda February 23, 2012 at 6:11 am

I am 22 and I had my tonsils taken out on 2/17 and it wasn’t bad at all. I was scared because I read a couple blogs and the doc said it was going to be painful but my pain level was like a 2 leaving the surgi-center and usuallyI’m a

 Linda February 23, 2012 at 6:29 am

I’m 22 and I had my tonsillectomy on 2/17 and surprisingly it wasn’t bad at all. Leaving the surgi-center my pain level was about a 2 and it has pretty much stayed there. I was eating chicken nuggets on the second day and today (day 6) I had a chicken sandwich and some fries. I take a percocet right befor I eat but other than that I have been managing my pain with regular tylenol every 8 hours. I’ve been able to sleep all day and I’ve gotten a lot of help with the housework from the hubby. I’m still able to talk but my voice is a bit squeaky. I’ve gotten to catch up on all the old movies I wanted to watch and sort some paperwork sitting around the house. I hope my comment helps those frightened to get their tonsils taken out because there is a lot of negative stuff out there.

 Kim February 23, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Youre very blessed!!! I went through this twice once with a laser then on 2/15 my tonsils that grew back being cut out. Both ways were terrible. The pain was unbearable. I am on day 8 post op and only took half of a Percocet thus morning. I still can’t eat much. I am so jealous you can eat chicken nuggets!!! Hopefully I will be able to soon. I am so nauseous after taking a Percocet.

 Felicia February 24, 2012 at 4:47 am

I am 23 years old, I am scheduled for surgery on the 29th, therefore, I only have 5 days left until then. I am so nervous and scared at the same. I took off an entire week from week for after my surgery but I take online classes. I do not know how my body is going to respond to this. I also have a 6 year old son but I know his father/my hubby will help on that part. I have seen pictures of this and it makes me queasy. My birthday is a week later and i was do looking forward to having fun. :-( Any suggestions for a speedy recovery?

 drew dicko February 26, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Just drink heaps of water and try and sleep it off. There is no way you can go through a speedy recovery. The worst days are 5-7but after that you still don’t feel like doing anything. The pain is manageable except it is hard to stay positive and be able to want to do things. good luck

 Kevin February 28, 2012 at 12:33 am

I’m 35 year old male in the US Army. I had my Tonsillectomy done February 23, 2012. I’m on day four and have just switched from the Vicodin I was prescribed down to Tylenol extra strength, just because I’m not in that much pain either. I would have to say my biggest complaint is the bad breath…It’s worse then when I use to have a Tonsil infection…lol. I’ve been following all of my post operative instructions to the letter, and so far so good. I will give an update once I get between days 7 and 11 where the scabs start falling off and is said to be the peak of the pain. I am thankful that the Colonel who did my surgery gave me 14 days of leave that is not charged to me. Gotta love the Military :-)

 Kim February 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm

This website has been a great help to me both times. I had my first tonsillectomy in 2009, my ent lasered them. The beginning of 2012 I begin to have strep like systems and went to another ent. She told me I had tonsils on both sides of my throat. I could not believe they had grew back and were beginning to give me problems. Had my final tonsillectomy on 2/15/2012. It was worst than before. The ent said she had to cut through so much scar tissue from before. This website helped me through the process. Icing my neck all day helped, I put cotton and sweet oil in my ears which really helped with the ear pain. I ate applesauce and ice lollies for most of the days. Soups didn’t go well for me. Staying on top of meds is key! Drinking is key although it hurts drink up. On day 4 I had to get a steroid shot which helped because I was in so much pain and discomfort. It helped. I am on day eight and only took a half of Percocet this morning. Not experiencing much pain but taking it easy because I know I am not quite out of the woods yet. Scabs look and make my mouth taste gross. Glad I did this surgery again. It is better than have strep and tonsillitis. Now if the regenerate again I am not going through this again. My ent has promised they would not but so did my first ent. God is in controll.

 Kim February 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Has anyone else heard of tonsils regenerating??

 Fred February 23, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Hey Kim, I am sure there is no such a thing. tonsils dont regenerate. The first time, your ent tryed to treat them with laser, but didnt remove them entirely..

 Kim February 23, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I read due to her leaving a little, they were able to grow back. Thanks Fred

 Felicia February 24, 2012 at 4:50 am

Hi Kim,
I actually heard this lady at work say that her sister’s tonsil grew back. When I asked the ENT doctor he said that it was probably because they didnt remove the whole thing.

 Kim February 24, 2012 at 5:30 am

Well if mine come back they stay forever!!! I will never go through this agony a THIRD time!! No way.

 Lucie February 25, 2012 at 6:41 pm

My colleague at work has one tonsil which grew back. She went to see the surgeon who said that if he was not him who had removed them he would say it was a forgotten part. But it is very very very rare case, so hopefull it will not happen!

 Anna March 10, 2012 at 9:21 am

Yes, my grandpa had this happen. He had them removed when he was a kid, then had to have it again as a teenager.

 Anna March 10, 2012 at 9:22 am

….this was because not all of the tissue was removed, so they grew back.

 Jillian B February 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Hi everyone. i’m 18 and found out today that I’m getting my tonsils out in two weeks and im beyond terrified. Any advice?

 Amy February 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I’m 19 and had mine out last friday and I’m still in agony during the day it’s not to bad but I dred nights!!! The pain stays at about a 7 and I am up every two hours, my advise stoke up on movies, ice cubes, lemonade iceblocks, and ice packs for the outside!! Also there’s a Panadeine disovable solutiOn you can get at the chemist also known as aspelgin this stuff works wonders!!! Good luck!!!!!!

 Heather February 23, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I am 32 and had my tonsils removed on Feb 6th. Unlike many other posts, I experienced severe pain from the time I woke up from surgery. Previous to this I considered myself to have a high pain tolerance, this opened my eyes to a whole different level of pain that I didn’t know existed. If compared to labor, for me, it was like being in labor with no break for 9 days straight, and off and on for another 4 or 5. After surgery my ENT told me I would be back to work in a week (I was crying in pain still on day 8). I can finally eat and drink without pain, but have a super thick tongue…what is this?!! I feel like it’s so thick that it is almost constricting my breathing. I actually have an appointment this afternoon to see my regular physician to make sure this isn’t just my imagination since my ENT acts like I’m the only patient in the world to experience problems past 1 week of surgery. Makes me feel very much like a crybaby, but I really just want answers and am tired of getting the run-around. My job is very physical and I’m expected to go back tomorrow. I doubt my ENT has ever done much physical labor for a living and therefore does not understand my concern. After much pleading with his nurse, I am scheduled to be off until tomorrow; however, I am still nowhere near where I thought I would be at this point. Am I the only 32-year old to have to be off work longer than 2 weeks?

 Kim February 24, 2012 at 5:29 am

There is no way you can go back to work after a week, a minimum two weeks. My tongue is still swollen as well I am on day 8. Bless your heart sorry you have had such a terrible time. Hopefully the worst is be hind you.

 Neena March 2, 2012 at 4:54 am

Hello Heather. I have not yet had mine out yet (scheduled 3-9-12) but my doctor told me 2 weeks of recovery but even on my FMLA paperwork his nurse put down 3 weeks, due to the nature of my job(speaking to people all day). Even though I haven’t been through this yet it seems crazy that you are expected to go back after only a week from what I hear about the recovery process. I hope they can give you a little more time off.

 Danielle Lopez February 24, 2012 at 4:01 am

So I am 22 and I had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy on 2/15/12. I was expecting a lot of pain, but it never really went past a level 2. The first two days i used the pain meds and felt mild discomfort, but the weekend came and I was constipated, nauseated and a bit feverish but not in real pain. I also lost the use of my voice over the weekend. I just stayed in my comfy spot on the couch, with a heating blanket and watch lots of tv. I didn,t have the energy to read or knit like i plan. By day six my scabs began to fall off. Day seven I woke up with only an annoying sore throat but feel great. For me this recovery process felt like prolong PMS, but that just me and it felt better because there was no cramps. My worst fear was throwing up because coughing cause the most pain for me. So overall it was mildly discomforting and the worst part was food. I ate cream of wheat night and day it was the most filling. I discovered hot food and drink were more of a comfort than cold stuff. I hope this train of thought was beneficial for others in the same position. However, I do have a question . . . it is day 8 of my recovery and I am wondering if I can eat more substantial food? That chicken sandwich review is uplifting for me and I am wondering if anybody else had faster recoveries?

 aundrea February 24, 2012 at 5:47 am

Hi I’m 31 and had my tonsils removed on 2/17/12. I woke up in pain from the start however it wasn’t the surgery that got me, I developed a post op staph infection 12 hrs later. Truly no fun! Its now been almost a week, my tongue is still so swollen, I still can hardly talk, and the jaw pain has been unreal. I dropped 10 pounds in 5 days, which has been awesome however I still can’t get anything down but cold fluids and luke warm broths. Anyone else still have trouble with tongue swelling and not being able to actually swallow anything thicker then broth?

 Jenny February 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

Dont give up, there is hope!
Hi I’m 29 and had tonsils removed on 13/2/2012 and am on day 11 post op and the end is in sight.
Got to be honest, a couple of days ago I though this would never get any better but in literally a couple of days I feel sooooooo much better!
Days 1-3 not too bad, days 4-8 AGONY, days 9-11 fast improvement!
I know it feels like its never going to get any better but it will and for me it was literally an overnight thing.
Don’t get me wrong I’m not 100% but miles better than I was.
Everyone said this would be bad but I really didn’t expect it o be this bad, the earache is unbearable! I have cried more over the last 11 days than I have in the last 12 months which really doesn’t help!
The weirdest thing for me was how much potato stung and burned, mashed, boiled, chips etc didn’t matter they all hurt like hell.
My top tips, chewing gum, toast, warm water in the morning to drink, gargle salt water and sleep.
Eat as normally as you can, I know it hurts but it really does help- try to avoid dairy as it makes saliva much thicker and harder to swallow, also avoid chocolate as its too sticky.
Good luck! I am hoping this was all worth it as I wold never go through it again!

 sharon February 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm

hi jenny, your recovery sounds very similar too mine I had mine out on the 16/2 i am now on day 11 day. 4,5,and 6 were totally horrendous i developed an infection and a change of painkillers were needed as I was actually doubling the pain relive that the hospital gave me on discharge were no longer taking the pain away and my ears felt like they were going too explode. . I am looking forward too getting a full night sleep without waking up for pain relive as I feel all I have done is take painkillers.

 Lety February 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I had surgery 2/16/2012 and I’m 19 years old. All I have to say is wow. This pain is the worst. I gave experience severe severe ear pain!!!!! Every single day. Huge pain on my head!! It’s post op day 8 and I just wNt to cry of such a horrible pain I am going through. At night my throat drys up and it hurts so bad that it gets to the point I dont want to fall asleep at night. It’s truly the worst feeling I have ever felt!

 Lydia February 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm

So it’s Day 10 for me! My Pain rate from 1-10 is about a 4.5 when i wake up and the pain meds just make it go away. My Day 9 Check up i found out i had two infections which was why y recovery ws kinda slowing down. He prescribed me two pills which not only help the pain they make drinking and eating soooo much easier!! I had my first meal last night (mac and cheese & mashed potatos)! I was very happy bc i have lost 17 pounds in one week!! I know some ppl say not to drink dairy but milk has been the only thing tht helps me. It’s very cool on your throat and the dr told me it keeps nausea away! It has been very painful for me this whole experience but eventually it is for the best! I hope some of what i did can help you guys! Thanks

 Fred February 25, 2012 at 1:38 am

HEY, it is day 10 for me too, but it doesnt look like this will end one day.

 marcus February 24, 2012 at 8:48 pm

im 19 i got my surgery done on february 23rd directly after surgery there was no pain i was really goofey then once i got home i went to sleep and woke up in so much pain that i was figting back tears they gave me a liquid pain killer and anti biotics at first the pain killer worked very well but now not so much it only brings the pain down a little bit i have been drinking alot of cold water and gatorade the only thing i have ate is apple sauce i am not looking forward to the scabs -_-

 Dorothy March 6, 2012 at 4:43 am

the scabs suck, i had my surgery on the 24th. it feels like you have something caught in your throat that you can’t clear out. coughing don’t help and not does gargling or drinking something warn. tho I have found (if you can) eating helps relieve the feeling for a little bit and drinking something warm sooth’s the itch. Good luck, I am SO ready to be completely healed.

 Andy February 25, 2012 at 2:51 am

Hi guys, Im a 25 year old male, had my tonsils out on 14/2/2012. The pain immediately after surgery was the worst, then the next 3 days were pretty sore but the pain killers seemed to work ok.Found myself on facebook round the clock for the fist few days after the op – very unproductive!! Today is day 11 and I feel pretty good I have to say – even managed a quick jog this morning, ( though only managed half the distance i usually aim for ha) All in all I reckon its not as bad a procedure as some say, and some of the articles you read. Though i guess it varies from person to person.

 harry February 25, 2012 at 9:01 am

hey I’m 18 and had my tonsils out on the 21/2/2012 the pain immediately after and now 4 days after is still bad but the most uncomfortable thing is that I cant drink or eat anything without it coming up through my nose did anyone else have this problem?

 Karen February 26, 2012 at 7:36 am

I have had this! I had surgery on 24th Feb, I’m on day 2 of recovery, when I’m drinking it keeps coming out my nose, what the hell’s going on! PMSL!

This blog has been so helpful, I read it before surgery and it’s helped me get organised. I know I have a tough couple of weeks ahead… just to add for others, I’m in UK and they would not let me out of hospital until I’d eaten full meal plus pudding. I had jacket potato, prawns and crispy veg, then jelly. Feel better for having food!

 Rose February 25, 2012 at 3:22 pm

This all just goes to prove that the older you are, the worse it is. I am 46 and today is day 6 of my living hell. The anesthetic made me vomit 6 times while still in the hospital, and that was my easy day. Day 2 wasn’t too bad, but each day got progressively worse. At first I was afraid to sleep because my throat was so swollen that when it relaxed, I snored so uncomfortably that it woke me up, giving me the fear that I would choke in my sleep. That has thankfully passed though. The ear pain is unbearable. Putting heat on the ears, while icing the throat actually gives slight relief. Labour never lasted this long. I consider myself to be someone with a high pain tolerance, but this is beyond any realm of pain I ever experienced. “Drink till your eyeballs float”, even if it just about kills you, and believe me, it feels like near death. I am eating very little, as nothing goes down well, and everything tastes like metal to me…..even water and ice chips. Is this normal? Can’t wait till this is all a distant memory.

 Kim February 25, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Funny you said that. I am in day 10 this morning I woke up and my mouth tasted like I had sucked a penny all night. Not sure why but my mouth does often taste like copper or metal…

 karen February 25, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I’m 52 years old and I had my tonsils out on 2/15/2012. I was afraid being so old it would be awful. I was suprised. I was in a bit of pain for three days. But nothing that I couldn’t handle. On day four I started to ween myself off of the pain meds. I read that you can have vomiting when doing this. I threw up and there was a little blood but not much. I was afraid to go off the meds because of this. I slowed down on them a bit more. The next day I threw up again causing my throat to bleed a little. I then went off of them all together. Once I was off of the pain meds. I was still in a little pain. I had my husband buy me some childrens liquid tylenol. This helped a lot. Late at night and early in the morning the tylenol felt good on my throat when it got dried out. I’m on day 10 now. Last night I woke up with my throat so dry I could hardly swallow.Drinking water was hard. It took awhile before my throat was moist again. I’m going to sleep at night with a humidifyer to see how that helps.

 Lucie February 25, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I bought a humidifer 3 days ago and now I sleep 11 hours instead of 3 :) worth it :) I am also on day 10. Good luck!

 Lucie February 25, 2012 at 6:51 pm


Probably the last post on here for me now. I am on Day 10, and it feels GREAT. I eat all the time, drink what I want, no pain. OK I cannot yawn, but that is not what I call a problem. i have not taken any pain killers since day 8. And as you all I did had a lot of pain before that.
So if you all want to heal as fast as possible, eat NORMAL food! Your throat has been burnt, yes, you need to be careful yes, but chew your food and it will all be fine! it is better to chew something that you know contains a lot of energy, take your time and swallow it rather than eating ice cream all day (so not healthy…). If you dont eat and give your stomach so many pain killers, good luck with what happens next…and the last thing you want is being in pain both at the throat and in your belly!
I did not lose any weight actually because I forced myself to eat. My voice is still slightly different but still, I talk a lot more now :)
So food + water + humidifier + zinc = quick recovery.
Also for those who cannot sleep, I bought some homeopathic pills for insomnia (Holland & Barrett) and they are very helpful. (you cannot become addicted as it is homeopathic :) )

Good luck everyone!

 Kim February 25, 2012 at 11:09 pm

On day 10, not so bad ears still hurt and some throat pain. I sneezed and thought I was going to die. Had to lie down after that. Looking forward to being 100% soon!!! I haven’t taken any Percocet today!!!

 Jennifer February 26, 2012 at 5:51 am

Had my tonsils out last Thursday 23rd Feb. The pain has been Ok, more like a really sore throat. I have been drinking slowly and eating soft foods, eg scrambled eggs spagetti and soft bread. Stewed fruit is great with jelly. It hurts when i swallow but not enough to make me cry. The nasal drip at the back of my throat is really annoying when I try to sleep. I am keeping up my meds, I was extremely afraid to have my op from all the negative blogs I have read. But truly it isn’t too bad so far for me. I am 55 years old.

 Audrey February 26, 2012 at 7:04 am

I had my surgery on 2/17/2012 and im 21 years old. It’s about day 9 now and I’m starting to get over the hump. A couple days ago I was throwing up every day and bed ridden. The main thing that’s annoying me now is that I feel like my taste buds have changed. Food doesn’t taste good. It’s like my tongue is burned or something. It’s really frustrating. Does anyone else have this problem?

 Emma February 26, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Im 18 years old, had my tonsils taken out on the 20th of feb, after the op I was very out of it so I didnt feel the pain much and I was able to eat.
The next day I was in absolute agony couldn’t swallow, couldn’t eat and could hardly drink water.
Day 2 I was very sick and wounds started bleeding a bit…
I havent been able to eat at all so, Ive just been living off water and pain killers.
I’m on day 6 now and I am still in agony and not able to eat, if anyone can give me advise on to how I can speed up the healing process I would really apreciate it.

 Christian February 26, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Hello, I had my tonsils removed on the 16th of February, 2012. I am 17 years old. The pain was pretty bad for the first few days I must say; however the scabs in the back of my throat seem to be my biggest problem. They smell and mainly taste horrible. I can actually eat just about anything but I’m at the point of gagging everytime I swallow. Anti-Nauseau drugs seemed to help from vomiting, but I can’t eat or drink without wanting to gag. If you have any advice I would love to hear it. Thanks.

 Toreanna Friday February 26, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Hi everyone. I am 22 years old and had my tonsils out on 22nd feb 2012. The first few days were completely agonising and I honestly wished I had never had it done. I’m on day 4 post the op and am happy to say the pain has eased a bit and I am able to eat a bit more now. Althought the pain has eased a bit, The pain is still very unpleasant and I am struggling to sleep at night. I have moments where the pain is bearable and then times where the pain is unbearable?!?!?! Also i am slightly concerned as I cannot brush my teeth properly and cannot see the back of my throat. I’d this normal? Or did anyone else experience this? A reply would be very appreciated.

 Emma February 26, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I’m the same and I’m on day 6, also after I brush my teeth I’ve still got a funny taste in my mouth…I suppose it’s normal.

 Toreanna Friday February 26, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Thanks Emma :) made me feel a bit normal

 Crystal February 27, 2012 at 4:00 am

There is such a thing, my mother in law and husband both has theirs grow back and they were taken out by 2 different doctors 20 years apart… It does happen!

 Kim February 27, 2012 at 12:51 pm

My ENT said I was not the first case she had seen. I just hope they never come back again two tonsillectomies is too much in one life time!!!

 Amanda February 27, 2012 at 4:22 am

I got my surgery done on 2/20/12 which was 2 days before my birthday. I turned 18 & this surgery brought me the worse birthday EVER ! The day of my surgery I did not feel the any pain due to the anesthesia, I was given vicodins to help manage the pain. By day 2 I began to feel a mild discomfort & headache as well. By day 3-4 i was in so much pain & wasnt able to keep myself hydrated which ended me up in the hospital. They pumped me up with two bags of celine to keep hydrated & 2 more medications to help with the nasuea & constipation. That night when I went home i took a vicdoin & drank a coffee cup worths of power rade which took me 2 hours to drink. In within 10-15 mintues I found myself on the ground throwing up extremely & crying because of the horrible pain. My mother brought me Cepacol which helped alot since it numbed my mouth but the smelll from my throat reaked of a garbage can. My sleeping period which from 7-8 hrs of sleep to 2-5- which was an huge difference for me. I am on day 7 & the pain is still somewhat unbareable. I’ve lost a tremendous amount of weight all over my body & am very weak. I am hoping that by days 8-11 my pain will get bettter & i can finally drink a cup of water within an hour. I am saying this not to scare anyone but to let you know that everyone is different so expect a different outcome no matter who you are. I hope that every one recovers well & future advice is don’t wait til last minute because you will regret it.

 anne ireland February 27, 2012 at 11:39 am

Hi I posted here in January after my tonisillectomy which was exactly 8 weeks ago and I am totally recovered with the odd twinge of tightness when I yawn etc. All back to normal. Just wanted to post that it does finnish and gets better. I am so glad I did it because two weeks ago there was a nasty flu bug in the house with the kids. Coughs and fever and they were out of school for nearly two weeks. I got the sniffles with a runny nose. nothing else!!! Had I still got those tonisils I would have been down for two weeks in agony. So hang in there guys its definitely worth it.

 Grace February 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I had my tonsillectomy 2 weeks ago but i feel severe pain in my neck and the headache is terrible. my doctor asked me to stop taking any drugs. I feel terrible……………

 Joleen February 27, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I am 58 years old had mine out feb.15 on day 12 still feels like I need some pain pills I mix it up with a motrim in morning a Tylenol in afternoon and evening I take pain pill which also helps me sleep. Starting to heal alot of the scabs have come off I do see some pink under there can’t wait till I can look back at it as I am glad I had it done. This was my second time kept getting food caught in there which would get infected it was bad.started having to tip head so food would slide down the right side so food wouldn’t get caught had to take pills with applesauce for years so they wouldn’t lodge in pocket of leftover was gross. So you believe how happy I am I got it done. I feel about another week I will be one happy lady. All I can say plenty of water,pills for pain eat to scrape the scabs off and count the days down till you feel good again. Good luck to everyone.

 james February 28, 2012 at 5:09 am

hey guys, I had my tonsils taken out on february 14, now I feel good. since now i can widely open my mouth i checked to see what it looks like inside. i seen that the left side has something in the back of my throat hanging there. is that part of the tonsil? or there is something else behind the tonsils?

 Randy February 28, 2012 at 5:47 am

Hi everyone, thanks for all the helpful info on this forum. I’m 55, and I had my procedure done 6 days ago. I seem to be a bit older than the average contributor here. I also had several procedures done simultaneously, including tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, severe deviated septum repair, bilateral turbinate reduction, and a full UPPP. Needless to say, it’s been an interesting week for me. The good news for you is that unless you got everything on the menu like I did, your experience should be milder.

I too, always considered myself as having a pretty high pain tolerance……well not this week. I’m an endurance athlete and have done several Half Ironmans and a Full Ironman. There is a lot of pain that goes along with training and conditioning for those kinds of events, and over time you do gird yourself up to the point where you can tolerate a lot more discomfort than the average person. I even spent 4 days in the hospital this past summer after a bike crash with a couple of severely broken ribs, a broken collar bone, a collapsed lung, and a lot of road rash…..but nothing compares to my experiences this past week.

I’ve experienced everything all of you have described with your procedures, and your advise has been pretty spot on. My biggest problem was that I had splints in my nose up until today, so could only breathe through my mouth, constantly, and this left my throat so sore that I found it hard to take in enough fluids to keep the incisions moist, so this led to a constant state of high level pain. As a result I’ve eaten very minimally. Also the highest level of pain meds my doc would allow would only take the edge off the pain for the first 1.5 hours between 4 hour administrations. I’ve not been happy.

But I am getting better. I’m at the dreaded scabbing phase now, so maybe another uncomfortable day or two, then my life should get a little easier. I also surprised myself by mastering the ability to systematically relax and shut down painful areas by using meditation. It took a while for me to discover that ability but it is a very real thing, and very rewarding. But………I spent many an hour in indescribable pain waiting for my med timer to go off before I realized I could do this. And it doesn’t always happen, sometimes the mind and body do not cooperate.

Anyway, good luck to you all, I’ll let you know how the remainder of my journey goes.

 Rose February 28, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Wow Randy! I really feel for you. This has been the worst experience of my life, but for you, it was even worse. My saving grace was being able to comfortably breathe out of my nose. When the throat gets dry from sleeping, the agony is unbearable! I can only sleep 2 hours at a time because I wake with excrutiating pain in the throat. Drinking the water that is so important to drink damned near makes me see Jesus! I can’t even imagine how aweful this must have been for you. You are one tough athlete!! I gave birth to a very large headed 9.5 pound baby 11 years ago who did not want to come out of me. It took forcepts and 3 hours of pushing. I should mention that I am only 5 feet tall and 110 pounds, so that is a rather large baby for a woman of my size. I couldn’t sit to eat my meals for close to a week. It was such a difficult birth that before I even went into labour for my daughter two years later, they offered me a ceserian section just to avoid another birth like my first. I turned it down, of course, and made out fine. But, I would rather deliver 6 more 9.5 pound babies before I would ever choose a tonsilectomy again. I am now on day 9 and finally can see an end around the corner. It still hurts excrutiatingly to swallow sometimes, but I definitely see a huge improvement. Hang in there people. For most of us, the worst is behind us by day 9 or 10. These blogs have been a tremendous help for us sufferers.

 Katelynn February 28, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I just had a tonsillectomy on the 27th, its only day 2. I’m only 17 by the way. The first day was absolute worse. I have a high tolerance for pain but this showed me otherwise. I would take my pain medicine and it would stop my breathing. And on top of this I have a stopped up nose and I’m coughing. I try not to cough because I’m scared I’m going to tear something. My friend just had hers taken out also and said that she got sick because shedididnt eat anything. I don’t think I could handle vomiting with my throat already in this much pain. And I also have this thick slimy spit in the back of my throat and I can’t swallow it. Any suggestions on how to get rid of that?

 Jamison Parris February 29, 2012 at 3:40 am

I had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy on 2/24/2012. It wasn’t so bad after the surgery while I was in recovery because the anesthesia was still in my system. I am still in a little pain and it is day 4 postoperative. I’m 23 years old and my doctor placed me on bed rest for 3 weeks. On day 2, I was in the worst pain of my life. I felt like a train had run over me. As long as the pain meds are taken every four hours and a cold ice compression is kept on the throat at all times, it should be fine. Drink plenty of liquids. I have not had an appetite for anything as I have only eaten Jello and pop cycles since my surgery. I’ve already lost 12 pounds since last Friday. Hope future people that are having surgery is a breeze.

 Alyssa February 29, 2012 at 4:56 am

I am 18 years old and I just got my tonsils out yesterday (feb 27th) and so far it has not been as bad as I thought. It was not nearly as painful as I was told and read about it just feels like a really bad sore throat. I get motion sickness and my sister is a nurse and she told me to tell the nurse preparing me for surgery that I get severe motion sickness so they gave me and pill to take before the surgery and a patch to go behind my ear . They also put some type of motion sickness medicine in my iv during surgery. When I woke up I didn’t feel nausea at all and I havent on my second day after surgery. So I would really suggest talking to your doctors about stuff for motion sickness because I know that nausea is common after surgery but if you can prevent

 Johnny C February 29, 2012 at 5:13 am

I had my surgery 2-23-12 and once I woke the pain was bad. I stayed for a couple hours getting 6 doses of morphine and then sent in my way. That first day was not too bad since I still had the anesthesia in my system along with taking Percocet too. The next day it hurt a bit more but the following day, day 3, it got really bad and today, day 5, it’s the worst. I had to renew my meds and hope I dont run out. I drink Ice water all day long and have been only able to eat eggs anything else seems to make them hurt worse and the eggs seem to fill me up so I don’t have to worry about eating. So this has been the worst pain I’ve ever experienced and with the pain meds it just dulls the pain so I can eat or drink more. The pain feels to me like when you put salt on a canker sore that sharp pain but it goes on and on and on and on. I hope it’s all down hill from here.

 Kate February 29, 2012 at 6:25 am

Hi I’m Kate and I’m 20
Had my tonsillectomy 2/22/12 and am on day 7 (if you count surgery day). Days 1-4 weren’t bad, but days 5-7 so far have been much much harder. Trying so many soft foods, but its amazing how what really kills is the salt in the food…and you would be surprised how even the tiniest amount of salt literally sets your throat on fire. I am so hungry but can’t seem to find a food that works the best…The past two days I have had 2 yogurts, and a very small bowl of plain noodles. I have a high metabolism and eat a lot regularly so now I am absolutely starving. Was prescribed Vicodin but that just made me throw up. So I’m alternating Ibuprofen and Tylenol because I heard that they held more with the pain with alternation. However, the past three nights I have woken up early in the morning because of the pain and can’t get back to sleep because of the pain…and sadly it is always an hr and a half before I can have more meds. I know this surgery was worth it, but I am just so starving!!!! Yes the pain right now is worse than at the beginning, however today I was crying because I was so hungry, not the pain…

 Danica February 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I’m 19 years old and had my tonsils removed on February 22, 2012 – so a week ago today. The whole procedure including up to now really hasn’t been as bad as people have been saying, at least not for me. Days 1-3 were probably the most painful for me. You’re suppose to stay hydrated, and I maybe drank a table spoon of whatever every 4 hours after I took my medication and that was it, so I definitely didn’t follow “doctors orders”. Days 4-7 (so now), I’ve been feeling great. On Day 4 I was able to eat Mac & Cheese, on Day 5 I returned to school (I’m in College), but on Day 6 I woke up that morning with ear aches, I took my medication and the pain went away. The surgery over all has been really easy for me, and I have a very low pain tolerance level. The only thing that has been frustrating so far for me is that no matter what I just can’t quench my thirst. I’m still swallowing very weirdly because my throat isn’t obviously healed and it is still a little sore, and I think because of me swallowing weird the water isn’t hitting my throat right, therefore causing me to still be thirsty. I’m unsure really. Anymore having problems with being continuously thirsty?
For those of you who are going to have this surgery… don’t worry yourselves to death about it. You’ll be fine (:

 Jenna February 29, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I’m 30 and had a tonsillectomy, adenoids removed, sinus surgery and rhinoplasty to fix a previously broken nose on Monday 27/2/2012. Day 1 was by far my best day due to the tonsils being pumped full of local. I am now moving into day 4 post op and instead of pain getting better, it’s getting worse – and after reading some of the stuff here pretty freaked out about the impending days since prior to this I was on about 8/10 pain when the pain meds wear off. Due to the sinus surgery and rhino-septoplasty, I have to do nasal irrigation with salt water 4 times a day and it runs out my throat and both sides of my nose. Until this evening it was relatively pain free to do this – but WOAH – I just did it now, in the middle of the night and nearly spewed and passed out at the same time due to the pain in my throat – felt like someone lit it on fire. I am seriously wondering how I am going to continue the nasal irrigation when it feels like THAT!

I have pretty much been eating very little but popsicles for 4 days. I managed to get down 1/4 of a ham sandwich yesterday and today I ate some soft potato gems, boiled & cooled sweet potato and a bowl of Jell-o. I have a humidifier next to me now as after my night in the hospital, I was in agony with the dryness, waking up every 15-30 mins. Now with the humidifier, I can sleep 3-4 hr stretches uninterrupted.

This is what I have been doing point by point to keep the discomfort levels as low as possible:

1. Taking meds exactly as prescribed. I set an alarm on my phone for every 4 hrs to take them. My ENT also told me to keep a baseline level of ibuprofen in my system along with the codeine tablets to reduce swelling.

2. Constantly having ice water next to my bed and sipping it every few mins when awake.

3. Humidifier right next to me on my bedside table and on constantly.

4. Brushing my teeth frequently and scraping my tongue to keep the mucus build up low and the sugar off my teeth from the constant popsicles.

5. Sleeping and resting elevated. I have propped myself up with heaps of pillows so that my head is always above my heart whilst sleeping and resting to reduce swelling. I have very little swelling due to this – everyone cannot believe how even after 4 surgeries all at once I have very little evidence on my face.

6. Before I take meds or eat anything remotely solid, I have a popsicle to numb everything down.

7. I speak as little as possible. I actually downloaded an app on my iPhone called Text to Speech so I can communicate with hubby and 3 yr old daughter. She thinks it is hilarious, I now have an english accent. :-p

8. Cold packs for my neck and jaw when it gets really sore.

9. My laptop, wireless internet, movies, mags and Facebook/Email for not feeling so isolated.

I know everyone is different and have different levels of pain and experiences. For me this has been pretty unpleasant but I also had 4 surgeries at once. By far the thing causing me the most pain though is my tonsils. It turned 1 hr operation into a 2.5 hr operation because I had so much scar tissue and they were so hard to get out and started bleeding profusely so I am probably a bit worse off than most going through this surgery due to those factors. Not looking forward to the coming days with the scabs, but will keep posted.

 Rob Hazlem February 29, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I had my op on 23rd Feb so am now 6 days in, the last 3 days have been very painful so hope tomorrow will be better. I’ve not eaten a thing for 4 days! One thing I found to help with my throat is drinking Guinness, seriously! Not sure mixing it with the Tramadol was a great idea but it certainly helped me sleep.

 Jenna February 29, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Just be careful with drinking alcohol, Rob because it will dehydrate you and you need to keep your throat moist to expedite healing. :)

 Kate March 1, 2012 at 4:59 am

I know exactly how you feel with not eating…I have had very little and am absolutely starving!!

 tammy February 29, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Why is it so painful for Adults? I don’t understand the reason for the swollen tongue and jaw. I am Scheduled for my surgery on Monday and after reading this I am more nervous than ever. I have booked a week off work, but I am worried about how I’m going to manage, I am a stay at home mom with a 5 year old and a 3 year old, both of them in school.

 Kim March 1, 2012 at 5:51 am

You may want to prepare for two weeks seriously!!! Today is my two weeks and my scabs are still on and I still have some pain!! I’m just saying:) good luck.

 Jenna March 1, 2012 at 10:39 am

I was told to take a minimum of 2 weeks off work. It is more painful for adults because our tonsils are bigger, we recover more slowly and we have had a lot more time to have infections build up heaps of scar tissue on our tonsils, which makes it harder for them to get them out completely. It ended up taking my surgeon 2.5 hrs to get my tonsils out and she said they bled profusely and were so horrible and riddled with scar tissue.

Well you think about the tugging and pulling that they need to do in order to get the tonsils out and the fact that your tongue is connected to all of it and so is your jaw and that explains the soreness. The back of my tongue feels the worst and my jaw, ears and neck hurt as well – but no surprise as it is all connected.

I would definitely arrange for some extra help, Tammy – I am nearly on day 5 (in Australia) and I simply went for a ride in the car to and went walking around the grocery store with my husband for an hour and now I feel worse than ever – and this was with our 3 yr old in daycare today. Mine has definitely gotten worse over the course instead of getting better. I felt WAY better the first day and it just went downhill after that due to the anaesthesia and local wearing off.

 Annonymous March 1, 2012 at 1:58 am

Just wondering if anyone out there has been passing rather odd looking stools after all this. I haven’t been eating much at all and it took quite a few days to even move my bowels, but is it normal to have cramps and diarrhea or yellowish stools with white slimy things in it? Don’t mean to be gross, but where else can I ask? Could that be scabs falling off down your throat?

 Jenna March 1, 2012 at 10:44 am

I haven’t passed stool since the morning of my surgery 4 days ago but not surprising since I have barely eaten much and the meds they gave me constipate me. I would ask the surgeon or your regular doctor if you are concerned.

 Wendy March 1, 2012 at 3:39 am

I am on day 9 and can’t eat anything…i can barley drink water. I had sharp stomach pains and a never ending tummy growl days 1-5 but on the 6th day it stopped…Everything including my liquid pain killers sting the roof of my mouth and ears for about 10 minutes before it starts to get better. I have to spit all the time because i can’t handle swallowing…i brush my teeth all the time because the taste is so gross.
I went to the ER on day 7 because i was spitting up huge amounts of blood coming from the left side…I had to stay a night in the hospital because i had a big blood clot sitting where my left tonsil use to be and the Dr. wanted to make sure i didn’t bleed again once it fell off…Very little blood since leaving the hospital but i’m back on a liquid diet only after feeling OK enough to eat after the 3rd day but now after seeing so much blood come from my throat i’m scared to try to eat anything. I looked in my throat and i can’t see the blood clot anymore so maybe it fell off…but now the right side of my throat is hurting more than my left I hope that doesn’t mean the right side is going to start bleeding soon… :( anyone have suggestions for the pain because my liquid hydrocodone hasn’t really been helping…AND i’m so hungry! what can i eat?? and when will my throat feel normal again??

 Kim March 1, 2012 at 5:55 am

I had the same meds, I went back to my dr on day 6 and got Percocet! It was pill form so I bought a crusher and put it in apple sauce. It worked wonders for me

 Andrea March 1, 2012 at 8:34 am

I’m on day 6 now and I’m stil in slot of pain. This is the third morning I’ve woke up with dry blood in both sides. Is this normal?

 Andrea March 1, 2012 at 9:12 am

I’m 19 and had my op on the 24th feb. As soon as I woke up I balled my eyes out the pain was nothing like I imagined. I hadnt eaten for 37 hours and when my op was done I still wasn’t allowed to eat or dink until the following day. I just sucked on bread as everything else was just too painful to swallow. When I was discharged from hospital they gave me NO advise what so ever so now I have dry blood in both sides. I went to my doctor and he said that’s normal. But this morning my left side is just full of dry blood. I would know what to do if the hospital had told me!! So please I need advise..

 Samantha March 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I had my surgery yesterday,and everything was fine, but I woke up this morning in so much pain. I cant swallow water or eat anything. I know drinking water is one of the best things for you, but I cant even get down a drop with out crying.
Help anyone?

 Rose March 1, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I feel your pain, really. You have to just cry through it or it will be so much worse. What I did was put gel ice packs on my throat for a good 5 minutes or so before I even tried to swallow. Then I gritted my teeth and swallowed. After the throat gets good and lubricated with many swallows, the pain does ease off just a tiny bit, making it more bearable. The dryer the throat, the more it will hurt. Keep the ice packs all around the throat all throughout the day and night, when needed. I used them for over a week. When the ear pain gets so intense you want to cry again, use heat on the ears, ice on the throat. As for eating, I couldn’t eat hardly anything for a week. I drank Ensure or Boost drinks (protein and vitamin meal replacement type drinks), or broth. I lost 7 pounds, Hang in there, you will get through it and it will get significantly better by day 9 or 10.

 lauren March 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm

i had mine out 24/2 so am now 6 days post op, pain os toloerable today ear pain is the worst and the sickness feeling is horrible. everytime i eat i get this horrible taste at the back of my mouth which makes me feel sick

 Carolyn March 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I had my tonsils out 2/27. I’m on day 3 but the operation was later than expected so my recovery days are a bit messed up. My throat still hurts a lot, painful to swallow, painful just laying here waiting to take pain meds. I just want to be able to feel like doing something besides sleep. Now I have to look forward to more pain with days 5 to 7ish. Yuck!

 Kc Deane March 1, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I got my tonsils out on the 24th.. 6 days and it only hurts a little to swallow. The first few days were brutal . I have been drinking Gatorade .. With in these 6 days I’ve only had three apple sause cups, 10 freeze pops, 2 Popsicles, 2 ittalian ices, and managed to get my self to take 3 bites of noodle soup in a cup. And I’ve only drunken about 3 fun sized gatorades.. There is one small spot in my throat were it bleeds and stings when I swallow… On either side of my tounge I cannot feel and came out of the surgery room with huge slits, or cuts.. First few days I was drooling allot ! Now my throat tastes so bad.. Almost like the smell of gasoline.. Please help I am loosing hunger also !

 Randy March 2, 2012 at 7:53 am

Day 9 here. I’m glad to report that I’m finally over the hump… meds for the past 10 hours, and I’m getting ready to go to sleep for the night…..without meds.  A little scary, but I feel so much better now, having a clear head, that I’m willing to risk it.  If I wake up at some point I can always take a 1/2 dose and know that it will definitely take the edge off, especially after going this many hours without them.  Wish me luck.  

I’d like add to what Rose and others have said about icing your throat.  That is a great piece of advice.  You’ll be amazed at how good it feels, immediately.  And it makes sense if you think about it.  Your neck and throat have been through a huge amount of trauma, and not just internal trauma.  I imagine that to gain the access and visibility required to do surgery in such a restrictive place your head neck are manipulated by your surgeon in what must be impossibly traumatic positions, were you awake.  And I imagine that pretty invasive clamps and retractors are employed.  Not to gross you out, but to help you understand why icing the outside of the impacted areas can be so crucial.  Lots of soft tissue damage, muscle and joint over-extension, yes, ice is good.  It’s nice if you have a long flexible blue-ice pack, but you can keep it simple and use ice cubes in a sealable sandwich bag like i did.  Not as convenient, but a lot more flexible.  Just make sure you keep a thin towel between the ice and your skin, and move it around every 8-10 minutes to prevent frost bite.  Also, for me it helped to ice the sides and back of my neck, in addition to my throat and jaw.  And when I had ear discomfort, and this weird top-of-head sensation, it helped there also.  

When your discomfort is the greatest…..refrain from swallowing……….until your throat is well lubed. This is especially apparent immediately after eating or sleeping.  As soon as the hospital meds wear off your going to have the urge to swallow.  Keep in mind that this is really an instinctive urge to convulse the throat to clear the discomfort.  Convulsing is bad,  so avoid it.  You can actually drink and eat liquids without swallowing/convulsing.  It takes self control, but once you get the hang of it, you immediately start lessening further trauma on your wounds.   Sounds weird, but try it with ice chips, letting them melt but just keeping your throat relaxed and controlling the urge to swallow by letting the liquid pool toward the front of your mouth and keeping our head tilted forward.  The moisture will absorb through the tissues and spread slowly thorough your throat without the trauma of a real swallow.  You’ll feel like you ave to swallow at some point, so just relax and lay off the ice for a few minutes, breathing slowly to stay relaxed until the urge passes.  Once you’ve relaxed your throat with external ice and lubed it with internal ice, eating is so much easier.  Just take everything real slow, never rush, take breaks often to remain relaxed.

Also, it helped me tremendously to not lay down, ever.  I’ve lived in a recliner for the past 9 days and found that laying at even a slightly more flat position would exacerbate all of my symptoms.  Being in a recliner for this long sounds uncomfortable, since you are limited to being pretty much on your back and not being able to lay on your side, but for me, it made all the difference.  Also, I’m a huge Type-A over-worker so it took me a while to get in the right frame of mind that this kind of recovery requires.  I just had to learn to forget schedules, and wrap my existence around surviving minute to minute, hour to hour, and day to day.  The only priority would be whatever it took at the moment to be most comfortable, whether it be meds, rest, ice, sleep, food, water, or meditation.

In a previous post I mentioned how this recovery taught me that I was able to shutdown parts of my body to control discomfort.  Here’s what worked for me, your mileage may vary.

This works best for a discomfort or sensation that can be mentally isolated, such as  continuous pain at the back of the throat, or ear aches, or even when your teeth ache.  Start by calming yourself and shutting out all other distractions (tv, conversation, street noise). Sit up more upright than usual, you may need this extra room later to slump forward as you relax into a position that works for you.  

Concentrate on the single sensation, just one sensation at a time, left/right ear even if that helps. Breathe slowly, not deep, concentrate on your breath and not the discomfort.  It takes just a few minutes or less, but you’ll start to feel like warmth or numbness replacing the discomfort you a concentrating on.  The first time this happens it can be disconcerting so stay relaxed and appreciate the sensation without losing it.   Depending on the discomfort location it helps to gently open and close your mouth or raise and lower eyebrows, rhythmically.  This will help you isolate the sensation so you can explore the limits of the discomfort and find it being replaced by more soothing sensations.  Also experiment with slumping your upper body forward or back to change the flow of fluids and weight.   

I hope this works well for you.

 Andrea March 2, 2012 at 10:11 am

Day 7. I’ve turned a corner overnight. The blood has gone and th scabs are falling off. But now the pain is worse than ever. It feels asif I’m swallowing razor blades!! This really is an experience I will remember.

« OLDER ENTRIES                                                               NEWER ENTRIES »

Leave a Reply